PDA

View Full Version : Downsizing help me decide

ChizerBunoi
10-29-2012, 05:10 AM
I am looking to downsize from my 90 gallon tank to something smaller. The maintenance is a little too high, so is the tank height (24" is too tall for my arms). Also, it's in my basement dungeon where nobody enjoys. What a disaster.

I will be keeping either my 4 x T5HO, or 6 x T5HO TEK fixture. The tank will be SPS dominant (I don't think all my existing corals will fit) and I will incorporate my sump into it and re-utilize all my existing equipment.

My choices are either a 40 Gallon Long (48" long x 12" wide x 16" tall) or a 55 Gallon (48" long x 13" Wide x 21" tall). Which would you go with and why?

I have a preference for the 40 gallon long but am unsure on whether the lights will be overkill. I am using the TEK legs so raising the fixture up is limited to a certain height.

Coralgurl
10-29-2012, 05:19 AM
I have a 55 with the same dimensions, I don't like how narrow it is, but do like the 4 ft. If I could change the tank, I'd make it a cube instead for more layout options. I do love my tank tho!:lol:

gregzz4
10-29-2012, 05:51 AM
I also don't like a 12" wide tank

I see you want to downsize, but you mentioned 48", and also 21" tall
A 75g is 48x18x21
I like the height for reaching all around the inside

Or you could get something custom made;
48x18x16 is a 60g
Nice width and an easy to work with height. Plus your 4 bulb would probably be enough with a shallow tank

Enigma
10-29-2012, 12:14 PM
48x18x16 would be nice. Same height and depth as my 40B, but a foot longer. And, I don't get my arm wet much higher than my elbow . . . Which is really nice. :)

ChizerBunoi
10-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the response. If I went down to a 75 gallon, I don't think my maintenance would be much easier would it?

Maintenance consists of
- cleaning the glass (worst part as I hate using the long scrapers, they take forever, especially if you are trying not to scratch the tank or take any silicone off on the corners)
- cleaning the socks (3 of them at one time)
- emptying protein skimmer
- change carbon
- water tests
- water change

I'm wondering if going to a smaller tank like a 40 breeder would work out better. I could go with two AI Sols instead of the 6 bulb T5.

reefwars
10-29-2012, 04:10 PM
i love my 75g....30" x 30" x 20" h

awesome cube dimensions.

Enigma
10-29-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm wondering if going to a smaller tank like a 40 breeder would work out better. I could go with two AI Sols instead of the 6 bulb T5.

I *love* my 40B. I'm just running out of space in it. :(

Coralgurl
10-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the response. If I went down to a 75 gallon, I don't think my maintenance would be much easier would it?

Maintenance consists of
- cleaning the glass (worst part as I hate using the long scrapers, they take forever, especially if you are trying not to scratch the tank or take any silicone off on the corners)
- cleaning the socks (3 of them at one time)
- emptying protein skimmer
- change carbon
- water tests
- water change

Not really sure the maintenance would be any less on a smaller tank. I have a canister filter on my 55, no skimmer. Takes me about 20 minutes to clean the cf, change the media, hook back up, plus the time it takes to empty and refill for a water change - I typically do 15-20 gls at a time every 2 weeks. So total time is maybe 30-35 minutes. Also daily top ups.

Filter socks - I rinse then throw in the washer, hang to dry (these are on my 180).

Cleaning the glass - I just did a good scraping on the 180, first time since I set it up in March, took maybe 1/2 hour - 45 mins. Wiping the glass down daily or every other day. I didn't use the handle, just the blade, felt like i had more control anyway, but as the tank is 2' tall, I was on my tiptoes to reach the bottom, standing on a chair. I didn't mind as the end result looks awesome!!

I'm not sure what you are trying to reduce as you would still have to maintain, maybe just less water to move around.

knickle22
10-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Hi there,

If you decide to downsize to a 75 Gallon, I have one i need to sell soon! my asking price is $500b for the tank,stand,and canopy. I custom ordered it about 15 months ago from big als with a corner overflow, and i have LED's built into the canopy, i personally really like them, and it didnt up our electricity derastically but you get a powerfull lighting. I have posted a hardware post earlier today, but if you want a picture or something text me 403-671-7344. the tank demensions are 48L 21H and 18W. just thought id let you know!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Get a Magnetic algae cleaner.

Arok3000
10-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Get a Magnetic algae cleaner.

This.

As far as your list of maintenance concerns, I don't think any sized tank will ease that up. You're always going to have to empty a skimmer, change your carbon, and do water changes.

A smaller tank will just make it easier to stick your hands in.
Get a mag-float and you'll maybe have to go in with a scraper two or three times a year.

kien
10-29-2012, 08:03 PM
I have short arms and for me the height of the tank makes the biggest difference. I have a 150g right now that is 20" tall but previously had a 90g that was 24" tall. I could not stand the 90g because I just could not comfortably get into the tank to do stuff and it annoyed the crap out of me. My 150g now is much larger but being only 20" means I can easily reach in to do stuff (pick up fallen frags, clean up sand bed, scrape that algae that's near the sandbed, move rocks, target feed corals, etc).

My suggestion would be to just get a shallower tank but keep the 48" length.

Edit: Based on the equipment that you already have I would do a 48x18x20 (you can reuse your stand, probably?) or 48x20x20 or 48x20x18

ChizerBunoi
10-29-2012, 09:04 PM
I guess the biggest problem is with the height. I am using a magfloat to clean the front and sides of the tank. The back requires a scraper.

Actinics only
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZOwWckfWcCk/UI7vrWSEE4I/AAAAAAAAA_M/8lOW4gN3yMc/s1024/IMG_4155.JPG

Full daylights
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0Dn21xzCep0/UI7vracgGuI/AAAAAAAAA_Q/b6bYjCtISVo/s1024/IMG_4156.JPG

Maybe my aquascape is too low.

Do you think if I put a background on, it would ease up on the cleaning of the glass?

This is a barebottom tank which is why I am using the socks. Is it possible to eliminate the socks entirely? It's pretty much a berlin method with vodka dosing to keep the nutrients down further.

Enigma
10-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Great scape! I love the way your tank looks. I would go 48x18x18, I think. You wouldn't have to change a thing about your scape at all. You wouldn't get as wet, and the "empty space" at the top of your scape would be eliminated.

kien
10-29-2012, 09:12 PM
wow, that's actually a pretty nice setup. I really like your minimalist aquascape. But ya, I would be annoyed working on this tank as well, especially since you don't have a sandbed! That's a lot to reach down into the bottom (for me with t-rex arms). Even on my old 90g I had a 2" sandbed and I was still annoyed with the reach. Plus, I can see how scraping the back would make you want to slit your wrists with the kent scraper. Getting down near the bottom on that back wall would be torture (for those of us with short arms).

Anyway! I think it would go a long way to simply shave 4" off the top of this tank, in my opinion.

Even if you put a picture in the back wall you would still want to scrape it to keep it clean so that you could see the picture. Unfortunately scraping the back wall is just a necessary evil. However, there are people who simply don't care about what grows on the back wall and simply let it grow over with whatever. Again, I think lowering the height would make scraping the back A LOT easier and more manageable.

Coralgurl
10-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Beautiful tank!!! I can see why you would want something shorter to work on!! Even with a background, the coraline will still grow and given how you maintain your tank, you will still end up scraping the back. Definitely do not go with a tank that is 12 wide, you will end up with rock on the back wall and no room to move around!!

I agree with Shelley, 48x18x18 would be a great size and you can't beat the height!!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-29-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm old school. I'd add some taller rocks and raise your aquascaping another 8-10" at least.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I do agree with the others who suggest going with 4' x 18" x 18" if you are downsizing.

ChizerBunoi
10-31-2012, 03:30 AM
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I do appreciate the input. That size would have to be a custom tank (48 x 18 x 18) and I don't really want to go there.

I also looked at the dimensions of the 55 and it's too narrow. The 75 is only 3 inches shorter, if I added a sand bed it would be pretty much the same thing. When your fish start nibbling at your armpits, you know your not fresh right? :lol:

I guess I'll just hang onto the 90 and start a journal.

ChizerBunoi
10-31-2012, 03:31 AM
I'm old school. I'd add some taller rocks and raise your aquascaping another 8-10" at least.

I had thought about that but I can't figure out how to do it nicely. Plus I would definitely get more par from the T5's.

subman
10-31-2012, 03:48 AM
I had a ninety as well and hated the height and how to narrow it was. I love your setup now it looks great I would say having a black background has stopped me from cleaning the back of my current tank (that and I can't do it without a snorkel lol) I would give that a shot first.
Great looking tank either way

ChizerBunoi
11-01-2012, 03:49 AM
Well I got sick and tired of standing on my toes to clean the glass. I spoke to Dave and placed an order for a 48" x 18" x 18". Thanks for everyone's help. :smile:

Enigma
11-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Well I got sick and tired of standing on my toes to clean the glass. I spoke to Dave and placed an order for a 48" x 18" x 18". Thanks for everyone's help. :smile:

That's going to be a great tank!