PDA

View Full Version : Mounting LED fixture

Coasting
10-27-2012, 11:02 PM
So my LED's finally came, YAY!

New tank is 36 x 18" With center brace
LED fixture is approx 22 x 11" Has 4 spots to mount cables to hang the light. (vaulted ceilings in this house)

Obviously want it mounted right in the center 6-8" above top of the tank.... I was originally going to build a canopy and just rig it up in there so its nice and hidden safe from the cats and what not and doesn't bug you if you're sitting below light level on the couch.
However I was just informed that my idea to build a canopy is ugly and stupid and I should just throw a few 2x4's on the top of the tank, paint them black, and sit the light on that.
:mmph: Really?
I hate this family....
Anyway...
What kind of rail systems are out there, or any other ideas that might work... I dont think the rail system for the SOL will work for this light, I want something thats sturdy, this thing is heavy, something that will allow me to take the light off if I need to re-arrange anything in the tank... I dont know.. What else is out there? What is local and wont break the bank? I really liked my canopy idea... I should just do one up on monday when nobodys home... anyone want to come help? HAH!

axe_man16
10-27-2012, 11:23 PM
I just built a canopy for my LEDs. I used heavy duty drawer rails and aluminum angles to support the fixture and when I need lots of room above the tank I just push the fixture back. Works great. And looks not to bad. Also keeps my fish in the tank

The Grizz
10-28-2012, 01:12 AM
Go to Modular LED & check out the SOL/Radion hangers, they can be adapted for any fixture.

don.ald
10-28-2012, 01:16 AM
The Grizz made my light hanger and shipped out to Victoria. Just PM him and he will help ya figure it out!

NIVLEM09
10-28-2012, 04:07 AM
This is my 1st attempt @ making my own canipy:mrgreen: it isn't done yet as I am waiting for my CPR aquafuge and then I'll do the finishing touches.

Coasting
10-28-2012, 04:22 AM
See I just want a nice plain simple wooden canopy like that. Is that too much to ask? Fully inclosed, wooden, maybe with some nice routering.... or crown moulding....
How is that uglier then placing a bunch of loose 2x4's on top of the tank then balancing a light on top of that.

I dont think any of the fixture mounts modularLED has will work for this light. Unless I got the hanging attachment for mine, but then I fear it would dangle more then I want.

NIVLEM09
10-28-2012, 05:06 AM
I am gonna use crown moulding to cover the front and sides of the frame.it only cost me bout $15 to build the frame and it is a very simple design-nothing too fancy,just to house my panorama pro modules and stunners..:biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-28-2012, 06:43 AM
My LED friend is also into metal work (jack of all trades kinda guy) and he built me some very simple, elegant stainless steel hanger rods out of 1/2" steel tubes that are 3' long and 1' overhanging the tank with brackets that screw into the back or side of my stand. Works great for my RSM130 and now he's building bigger ones for my 165g main display. Will try to post pics later.

Anthony