PDA

View Full Version : T. maxima advice (fictional)

AJ_77
07-30-2002, 01:05 AM
Let's say a person had a young (3 inch) gold T. maxima and they saw what appeared to be a couple of aptasia fastened to its shell, one near the mantle but not yet stinging it. Now suppose this clam was stressed from shipping, and from a week or so under less-than-optimum conditions within its new home.

Let's say that the owner, a concerned and earnest young man, wanted to take appropriate action, and he thought that by lifting the clam gently (upside down, of course) into a small pail of tank water that he could then remove the aptasia by a recommended procedure.

But wait, let's imagine that out of his concern for the already-stressed clam, the caretaker withheld the above-mentioned course of action. Would he be acting prudently, to wait until the clam was more settled? Further, at what point could the fellow take action on the pests? What signs would he look for that the clam was fit to be handled and cleansed of the parasite?

Hmmmmm... For myself, I cannot say, I have not the experience with such animals - just a book. Perhaps others would ponder this story and pose a conclusion.

AJ

Aquattro
07-30-2002, 01:34 AM
AJ, if I were this concerned young lad, I would wait until the clam was settled. I would then remove said pests without moving the clam.

stephane
07-30-2002, 02:32 AM
I have heard that you will kill them easy with a milky kalkwaser injection in there tissue

Aquattro
07-30-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by stephane:
I have heard that you will kill them easy with a milky kalkwaser injection in there tissue<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Right. Mix it into a paste and with the pumps turned off, inject it just above their mouths. The will try and grab it and ingest it.
I also use hydrochloric acid to kill them, but not anywhere near a clam. Maybe injecting vinegar would be a good substitute.
My choice weapon these days is a peppermint shrimp.

Bob I
08-02-2002, 07:28 PM
Peppermint Shrimp are a good choice for the earnest young lad, but they too can become pesky. I had one munch on the crown of a Featherduster. Thus a choice needs to made here. :eek: