PDA

View Full Version : Looking for non jumping fish ideas

Coralgurl
10-27-2012, 08:22 PM
I need some smaller fish in my tank but not sure I want a cover. In the past couple of weeks, my candy hogfish and radiant wrasse have jumped.

Current stock
2 clarkii clowns
Diamond goby
3 anthias
Sailfin tang
Hippo tang
Yellow tang
Tominini tang
Blue throat trigger
1 cardinal
Royal gramma
Solar wrasse

I love wrasses, but would like some alternatives. Any suggestions?

Aquattro
10-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Really, anything can jump. I had a hippo tang launch itself out of the tank. If I were looking for smaller fish, some of the smaller anthias are nice.

ScubaSteve
10-27-2012, 08:42 PM
If you like wrasses look at leopard wrasses. They are less likely to launch themselves than other wrasses. Their natural instinct is to dive for the sand/rocks when spooked, rather than up and out.

For anthias, Bartlett anthias are fairly acrobatic but randall's, resplendent, Carberryi and bimaculatus anthias are less likely to jump. In general, look for anthias that tend to dwell at deeper depths where jumping out of the water isn't likely to be a natural instinct.

Like Brad said, anything can jump but some are less likely than others.

Coralgurl
10-27-2012, 09:17 PM
I really should just cover the tank. My trigger jumped a couple of weeks ago, but I was right by the tank and tossed him back in.

I'd love a leopard wrasse, but I've had one that starved to death. I'm thinking of a flame angel. I have 3 anthias now, love these guys, they stick together mostly, but do hang out closer to the top of the water.