PDA

View Full Version : Octopus tank

ashr
10-27-2012, 05:06 AM
Hey all

Has anyone set up an Octopus tank and had success? If so, where did you acquire it from? I've always wanted this kind of set up and may work towards getting one in the spring.

Would be a 55 gallon set up with a full skimmer. lots of live rock etc.
I will do a ton of reading etc before I make the first step but wanted to see if any of you have gone down this path.

:mrgreen:

subman
10-27-2012, 05:09 AM
Needs to be COMPLETELY sealed they make Houdini look like an amateur!
Octos also have a short life span and need lots of educational time, wicked smart animals'

subman
10-27-2012, 05:13 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89665&highlight=octopus

Dearth
10-27-2012, 05:23 AM
I actually know a friend in the states who kept one in a 150 gallon tank but had major issues with it as stated above they are very clever escape artists and like a mouse can fit through even a hole that we wouldn't think they could fit through. And their life span is relatively short.

His octopus ended up escaping one too many times and he found it curled up in a coffee cup about 2 days after it escaped and it was no longer going to be swimming with the fishes so to speak.

ashr
10-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Love that video!!

I know the lid is very very important. I wouldn't start a project with out knowing what all needed to be done. Im around the house most days so he would get lots of time and play time. Still reading up and looking for a new tank:mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-27-2012, 05:58 AM
Years ago, I had an octopus in a 20g tank with a screen lid on top held down by big rocks. To be honest, the octopus hid most of the time and only was really active whenever I threw in a live shore crab. Then you get about 30s of ultra cool underwater action before it pulled its victim into its cave and everything went calm again. Had it for about 7 months (ordered a small one to get a slightly longer life span in captivity). Didn't use a skimmer. Just did frequent water changes with a gravel vac to such up crab shells.

Cuttlefish are waaaay cooler IMO because they are actually out and swimming about.

Anthony

ashr
10-27-2012, 01:56 PM
A Cuttlefish wouldnt be a bad idea either.. I've seen a couple and they are pretty cool. Ill look into this as well

Thanks!!

Aquattro
10-27-2012, 02:01 PM
I took care of one when I was in college, I often had to roam the halls looking for it. :razz:

Leah
10-27-2012, 04:32 PM
I took care of one when I was in college, I often had to roam the halls looking for it. :razz:

Good excuse for sneaking around.....bet they never heard that one before.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Brad as a young guy wandering through the girls' dorm:

"Here [octo] pussy, pussy. Here [octo] pussy, pussy." :behindsofa: :Banane59: :Banane35: