PDA

View Full Version : Flame Angel Fish

Enigma
10-25-2012, 02:46 PM
I picked up a used RSM 130, and while I had intended to leave it unused until my NC24 requires an upgrade (which will be a while down the road, since the NC24 hasn't even started cycling yet), hubby has other ideas.

He has moved the RSM to where he thinks it should be, and he has rearranged the rec room so that the RSM has a prominent place beside the TV: so the TV and the tank can be viewed at the same time.

He is really enjoying our saltwater adventure . . . he enjoys watching the tanks while I do all of the work that isn't heavy lifting. :lol:

I didn't want more than two separate water systems in the house, and as this one will be #3 I want it to be pretty easy. I think a mini FOWDR (fish-only-with-dry-rock) is the way to go (I no longer do live rock).

I would really, REALLY, like to have a Flame Angel. From my reading, an RSM 130 with plenty of rock should be a perfectly appropriate habitat for this fish. I understand it may nip polyps, and that I can't add another dwarf angel to the tank with it (at least not a tank this small).

Of course, what I've discovered about researching fish, is that often times "dirty little secrets" aren't widely known or well publicised. It is only once an issue arises with the specific fish that the aquarist has purchased that the information is easy to turn up. Are there any dirty little secrets to be aware of with the Flame Angel?

Also, what would be some appropriate fish to add to a community tank with a Flame Angel . . . keeping in mind that the Flame Angel would probably be added first. I'd like a variety of colours as the visual interest in this tank would be the fish. I am playing with http://www.marinecompatibilityguide.com to get some ideas, but I would love to learn about what people are having success with.

Spyd
10-25-2012, 03:20 PM
The only problem with the Flame Angel is that it is quite agressive. So adding it in the tank first may cause issues when adding less agressive fish to the tank. Normally, they would be one of the last fish I would consider adding.

Enigma
10-25-2012, 03:23 PM
The only problem with the Flame Angel is that it is quite agressive. So adding it in the tank first may cause issues when adding less agressive fish to the tank. Normally, they would be one of the last fish I would consider adding.

It does really complicate things. It is difficult when the only fish one really wants and is 100% decided on should be the last one added. :(

I'm hoping to compile a list of compatible fish, and then try to find them all from the same source and add them at the same time.

kien
10-25-2012, 03:42 PM
I have had a few flame angels over the years and they have all been quite different. The first one I had was a model citizen. He didn't bother any other tank mates or corals. The second one I had loved to graze on all manner of coral but was fine with his tank mates. He even lived with a potter's angel at the time (another pygmy angelfish). The current flame angel that I have now seems to be behaving himself. I have not noticed him bothering any other fish or corals in my tank.

The moral of the story is that you just never know. I personally think that their tendencies are more a personality traits rather than a species trait. Sure, angels in general like to graze and nip on polypy things (this is a known as a natural habit), but that doesn't mean all angels will do this. In captivity fish can tend to change their habits quite dramatically from their natural behaviours. Although we try to mimic their natural habitats as much as possible, the truth is we don't even come close. We expose them to fish and other critters that they would never see in the wild, or foods that they would never eat in the wild. Oops, going off on a tangent here, sorry!

Anyway, my advice is always that if you like the fish, get him. Just be prepared, and don't be surprised if things don't work out (ie, he turns into a holy terror and eats your entire collection of zoanthids :twised: )

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3623/3634304397_dc9bd5552f_o.jpg

Enigma
10-25-2012, 03:48 PM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3623/3634304397_dc9bd5552f_o.jpg

<3

So lovely. :)

It will be a fish only system for now. I may add the odd coral: if I have an abundance of something or if I decide to test the waters. As this tank will use dry rock (which is basically a phosphate bomb) it should have an abundance of algae to graze on if I let the algae grow.

It is possible that the angel could be moved into my "birthday tank" after that upgrade in the spring: providing it behaves itself.

Oilers
10-25-2012, 03:50 PM

+1. I love my flame angel but he's a bully. He keeps chasing the bicolor angel around even though the bicolor angel was added way before he was.

mrhasan
10-25-2012, 05:42 PM
I think angel fish has one of the most variable personality. But their beauty always compensates that :smile:

intarsiabox
10-26-2012, 12:18 AM
[QUOTE=Enigma;758193]
It will be a fish only system for now. I may add the odd coral: if I have an abundance of something or if I decide to test the waters. As this tank will use dry rock (which is basically a phosphate bomb) it should have an abundance of algae to graze on if I let the algae grow.QUOTE]

I had a flame angel for a couple years and he wouldn't touch algae, not even nori. He loved any prepared or frozen foods that enter the tank but wouldn't so much as look at a stand of algae on a rock.

Enigma
10-26-2012, 12:40 AM
I've actually ordered some synthetic rock for this fish only system, so there may not be as much algae as I was expecting.

I may start browsing for a Flame Angel this weekend. We'll see. :)

jagermaier
10-26-2012, 04:55 AM
I agree that flame angles vary in personality so buyer beware with these guys. I have been very fortunate to have the "model citizen" variety in my community which includes 4 anthias, 3 different tangs, two gobies, 5 blue chomis, manderan dragonett, leopard wrasse, 3 cleaner shrimp, 2 tuxedo urchins, tons of snails, big variety of LPS and SPS and it has never bothered anything. I would avoid other angles though...that could be an issue.