PDA

View Full Version : anyone into cruser bikes?

StirCrazy
04-23-2004, 01:53 AM
I am doing my bike licence training the second week of May and then buying a new bike.

Sence I can afford a Harley I am looking at other cruzers. so fare the one I like is the VT750 Shadow aero (http://www.honda.ca/MotorcycleEng/CurrentModels/Cruiser/VT7504.htm).

Does anyone know anyone who has one, or just heard anything about them?

Steve

Chad
04-23-2004, 04:59 AM
That is a sweet looking bike.. I plan on getting my license this summer as well...

I wouldn't mind getting that bike too

mutabaruka
04-23-2004, 05:42 AM
I have owned several Shadows and I would recommend them to anyone. As long as you understand what you are getting when you get a cruiser. They are heavy, which I like, and low, which my short legs like.

Parts and accessories are expensive, but readily accessible. I wanted a passenger seat and chrome back rest for my last Shadow and together they cost me almost $800.

They are great bikes though. The Aero is beautiful. They are dependable as hell, and much more forgiving then a Harley. My next bike will be a VTX.

Scales
04-23-2004, 04:56 PM
I have had my bike licence since 1997 and can say that riding becomes an addiction. I have taken a spin on many bikes and each is likeable for different reasons...but when it came down to purchase time, I went with HD...my last one was a Fat Boy that was customized a bit (first thing is to get rid of the satellite sized turn signals, reflectors and mirrors)...lowered it, loud pipes, drag bars, added some chrome...it was a nice ride but honestly, it did not like going over about 170-180 kmh...it would start to shake too much...I suspect that Japanese and European bikes have superior preformance...and there are many nice cruiser bikes from these manufacturers...

...just like reef tanks, bikes quickly become a money pit...I recall that HD manufactures their bikes in compliance with California emisision laws, so you get a bike that underperforms...it costs quite a bit to get rid of this crap...and who wants the stock quiet pipes on the HD?...not many people, so before the bike leaves the dealership, it generally has a new set of pipes bought from and installed by the dealership...I felt "gouged" for most accessories...accessories are ridiculously expensive...

...that being said, it was a nice ride...addicting...and if I was purchasing, I would probably buy another HD...and they know this, so they have no incentive to change...

MitchM
04-23-2004, 09:09 PM
the one I like is the VT750 Shadow aero (http://www.honda.ca/MotorcycleEng/CurrentModels/Cruiser/VT7504.htm).

Steve

Never mind mine...that's a nice ride!

Mitch :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
04-23-2004, 11:16 PM
well i went to a dealership today that sold both Yamaha and Honda and sat on both the V-star and the Shadow aero, the Shadow wins hands down for me as everything feels more natural and comfortable in the positioning. Also the looks of the Shadow are just a bit above the V-star in my opinion.

now the next question, what accessories are worth having installed and what was a waist.. I am thinking windscreen, saddle bags, Kevlar Jacket and pants(since we can ride all year around here) boots and heavy gloves and light gloves.

Steve

BMW Rider
04-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Good for you for taking a course to start off. The 750 should be a good size bike to start out on as long as you take it easy. I sugest finding an empty parking lot when you first pick it up to get familiar with how it handles. I do that every spring a few time just to shake off the rust. Ive been riding for over 20 years.

I am the black sheep in my family (or perhaps the white sheep ). I ride a BMW R1100RS, but all the rest of my family rides cruisers. My sister and brother in law both ride Harleys, my brother has an older Yamaha Maxim, and my Mom rides a Honda Shadow Ace. My wife rides a Triumph Bonneville, which is more of a standard style bike at least. On her side of the family I have more support for my sport touring tastes. Her brother rides a Suzuki Katana 1100, and her dad, a Kawisaki Concours.

I know all to well the costs of owning a motorcycle, but its worth every penny. If you think Harley's cost lots, try a Beemer. I pumped $3000 into toys for mine this winter and I still have a long wish list . With that and the basement development including my new reef tank... well just see my signature line.

mutabaruka
04-24-2004, 05:26 AM
Take your time finding the right helmet. For me a windscreen is a must. Yes to the boots, gloves and jacket. There are other little things as well. I quickly bought a tank guard as the zipper on my jacket scratched the paint on my tank. I also bought good saddle bags right away. I also bought a leather bandana for my neck and a head sock to protect the inside of my helmet.

Scales
04-26-2004, 03:41 PM
The windscreen will provide an incredible amount of comfort, especially if you are going to select a helmet without any face cover. Helmet selection is crucial to both your safety and enjoyment. I prefer not to have my face covered as it interferes with my peripheral vision...if you go this route, the windscreen should save you from many unwanted insect/rock encounters...there is nothing like an "exploding" bug (often a bee full of pollen) on the cheek at high speed...

StirCrazy
04-26-2004, 07:03 PM
ok what is a head sock?

Steve

BMW Rider
04-26-2004, 08:00 PM
A head sock or a "silk" is just a thin cloth liner that you pull on before putting on your helmet. It helps keep your helmet lining cleaner, and many find they don't get as bad a "helmet head" when wearing one. I've never used one, I prefer a helmet that has a removable liner so that it is easier to clean. I do have a light balaclava for cold weather to keep my neck, chin and face from freezing.

StirCrazy
05-30-2004, 08:11 PM
well got my bike so I thought I would put a pic of it up on the thread.

http://members.shaw.ca/crystalk/bike/bike2.jpg

Steve

MitchM
05-31-2004, 11:50 AM
:cool:

Congratulations!

You lucky so-and-so...... :mrgreen:

Mitch

AJ_77
05-31-2004, 01:57 PM
well got my bike
congratulations - looks pretty sweet, man.
we can ride all year around here
you #@%&... :mrgreen: ... j/k, I'm jealous...

Canadian Man
05-31-2004, 02:40 PM
AWSOME STEVE!

I'm jelous too :biggrin:

bear27
07-02-2004, 09:19 PM
I got my areo in 2002 mines the 1100 but im sure there pretty much the same i love mine