PDA

View Full Version : Sump help?

mandyplo
10-24-2012, 01:41 AM
I am doing a big tank move in the next week!!! :D The tank is coming from my boyfriends house to mine, because well.... if you saw the current state of my tank (my baby) you would confiscate it as well.

So I've decided to add a sump, my tank is only 55g, its my first stab at a marine system.

I had a fellow in my home town who sells coral/fish/equipment out of his home, and he was going to order me a pre-made sump for a decent price ($285) with overflow box and piping, and all of a sudden he has jacked the price way up on me ($450!!!!)

So my question: is there somewhere online I can find a set like this, sump overflow box, pipe/tubing, return pump...?
Or any website at all where I can just find a sump already sectioned off and everything? Any sumps you guys would recommend to me?

Oh and did I mention I also don't have a local fish store where I live... >.> small town....

intarsiabox
10-24-2012, 02:08 AM
I am doing a big tank move in the next week!!! :D The tank is coming from my boyfriends house to mine, because well.... if you saw the current state of my tank (my baby) you would confiscate it as well.

So I've decided to add a sump, my tank is only 55g, its my first stab at a marine system.

I had a fellow in my home town who sells coral/fish/equipment out of his home, and he was going to order me a pre-made sump for a decent price ($285) with overflow box and piping, and all of a sudden he has jacked the price way up on me ($450!!!!)

So my question: is there somewhere online I can find a set like this, sump overflow box, pipe/tubing, return pump...?
Or any website at all where I can just find a sump already sectioned off and everything? Any sumps you guys would recommend to me?

Oh and did I mention I also don't have a local fish store where I live... >.> small town....

Just buy a standard size aquarium (used is a good way to go as it doesn't have to be in show condition) and get glass baffles cut and silicone yourself. There is not much to it and very easy to build. My last sump I built is made from a 65g tank and all together cost under $100. Check out melevesreef.com for lots of info on sump building.

duncangweller
10-24-2012, 04:06 AM
I'll second that. Read up on melevs reef, pick a design and go to town. I bought a new tank, had glass cut and bought some silicone and made it myself. It was really easy and cost a fraction of the price of a pre-made sump.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2