PDA

View Full Version : Long distance move

Trevor82
10-23-2012, 06:16 AM
Hi all, I have moved from Victoria to Calgary about a month ago. Since arriving I have purchased a new tank and will have everything ready for livestock soon. I still have my old tank running at my parents house in Victoria with all my livestock that they are thankfully looking after. I'm planning on going back for a day or two in December and am planning on driving back with my fish and sps frags. I'm looking for suggestion on the best route of packaging them all up to get them out here with the least amount of stress.

My fish/invert list: 1 purple tang, 1 tolmie tang, 1 lemon peel angel, 1 starry blenny, 1 forktale blenny, 2 clowns, 1 McCoskers fairy wrasse, 1 yellow watchmen goby, 1 pistol shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, and 1 GBTA.

My plan as it stands is to fill 2 20gallon brute garbage cans 1/3 full of water and rock(stacked WELL) with a heater, power head, and airstone in each and put half the livestock in each. I would then bag the coral frags and float them in the 2 brutes. I have also thought of getting them out of the tank and having a LFS ship them out to me although I have a feeling if would cost a bit to ship all that.

Thanks in advance.
Trevor

reefwars
10-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Hi all, I have moved from Victoria to Calgary about a month ago. Since arriving I have purchased a new tank and will have everything ready for livestock soon. I still have my old tank running at my parents house in Victoria with all my livestock that they are thankfully looking after. I'm planning on going back for a day or two in December and am planning on driving back with my fish and sps frags. I'm looking for suggestion on the best route of packaging them all up to get them out here with the least amount of stress.

My fish/invert list: 1 purple tang, 1 tolmie tang, 1 lemon peel angel, 1 starry blenny, 1 forktale blenny, 2 clowns, 1 McCoskers fairy wrasse, 1 yellow watchmen goby, 1 pistol shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, and 1 GBTA.

My plan as it stands is to fill 2 20gallon brute garbage cans 1/3 full of water and rock(stacked WELL) with a heater, power head, and airstone in each and put half the livestock in each. I would then bag the coral frags and float them in the 2 brutes. I have also thought of getting them out of the tank and having a LFS ship them out to me although I have a feeling if would cost a bit to ship all that.

Thanks in advance.
Trevor

your plan is ok for sure.

for the coral i would just bag each individually and then bag the works as a whole and duble bag.

place in a insulated cooler and fill with newspaper. place a heat pack on the lid wrapped in newspaper and your good for a day or 2 maybe more.

Trevor82
10-23-2012, 06:25 AM
Alright that can be done easily. I'll be doing the drive in a straight shot so I imagine with the ferry it'll be a 15hr trip.

reefwars
10-23-2012, 06:32 AM
Alright that can be done easily. I'll be doing the drive in a straight shot so I imagine with the ferry it'll be a 15hr trip.

for the fish just check in on them every few hours or more , as long as they are not getting tossed around with rock you will be fine.

good luck!!

Mike-fish
10-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Myself I would transport the rock in a separate bin then the fish just to much of a risk of the rock shifting and crushing the fish. Everytging sounds like a solid plan. Just keep in mind the weather and road conditions change fast in the winter mountain passes so have a bit of a plan b in place. Good luck with the move.

Trevor82
10-23-2012, 07:01 AM
I thought about the rock and was thinking of only using like 3 pieces per can and really jam them in there so they wouldn't move. As I've said I'm not concerned about the rock too much so if I can't get them to lock together really well I just won't use it on the trip. Bah maybe I won't use it. I could silicone some pvc to the bottom(inside) of the cans a couple days before the move for the fish to have a hiding place. Yeah should be a 15hr drive as long as the weather holds, fingers crossed.

BlueTang<3
10-23-2012, 12:50 PM
We did Victoria to Edmonton last year bought a bunch of sps and was 3 days on a cooler in the fall had to use heat packs. We lost one birdsnest from the 35 frags I had bought

Doug
10-23-2012, 02:37 PM
I moved 500 miles, then an hour move and in the spring, from manitoba to BC. Always the same with no losses.

Rubbermaid tubs with "some" of the rock, all corals and any rock with corals and the fish. 50w Ebo heater. Hydor powerheads. Power inverter. Way you go. Any base rock or rock with not much life can go in salt buckets, covered in tank water, and be sealed up for the trip.

Thaxist
11-01-2012, 05:26 AM
Good luck, it's a lot tougher during winter. I moved from Kelowna to Squamish during the summer and had all everything look great. I did Squamish to Gibsons (nearby town but there is a ferry ride) a couple months later and it completely wiped out my salt tank. My 90g fresh with about 20 fish including 2 big cichlids didn't even lose a fish but I don't even have bristleworms in my 120g salt right now.

I'd definitely be careful about the temp, make sure the fish are heated and insulated.