PDA

View Full Version : Nano setup possibly forsale.....

nanoreefnewbie
10-22-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm new into hobby and nothing on tank is working out can't keep shelling out cash for things that die...maybe I'm inpatient but...:neutral: I think it's up forsale its a tank that's in the can reef 2012 nano contest...can switch ur name in contest I'm sure once tank and contents are bought all together..lookin for 500$

40lbs live rock
40lbs live sand
Heater
Powers head
Salt
Test kits
Everything needed..
Just not ready for hobby I guess:sad:

nanoreefnewbie
10-22-2012, 11:42 PM
If need more info or pics pm me

Coralgurl
10-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Might be a bit too stressful to enter the contest without any prior experience. Why not just slow down and go at your own pace instead? the contest just adds pressure as a newb you don't need. I feel the same sometimes, but not sure I have the heart to give up. The first 6 months can be the hardest with this hobby and a new tank....

Proteus
10-23-2012, 12:53 AM
^^^^^^^

Don't sell. Just drop the contest and take it slow. There's lots of help on here

mrhasan
10-23-2012, 01:00 AM
+1. No need for the contest. This hobby is all about passion. A contest is not something that should get you down.

Ask this question: did you get into this hobby for this contest or because you wanted to?

If 2nd part is your answer, then just take things slow. I am a newby like you (been four months or something) and till now, I have faced quite a few bumps but nothing has let me down; and I believe its worth it :)

If 1st part is your answer, well its your call then :)

Salt2Death
10-23-2012, 01:02 AM
Here Here, "Nothing Good Happens In A Salt Water Tank Fast, Just Bad Happens Fast!"

Pull out, sit back and just take it nice n slow. Ask lots of question, (even if people like to be *#%} heads on here most will help you lots) and relax- Your build is doing great so far. Just stick with it and all will pay off.
(Hint... Don't throw money at problems, get advice and ask for help there are lots of people here that will help and may have just what you need! We all started out right where you are)

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 01:12 AM
Might be a bit too stressful to enter the contest without any prior experience. Why not just slow down and go at your own pace instead? the contest just adds pressure as a newb you don't need. I feel the same sometimes, but not sure I have the heart to give up. The first 6 months can be the hardest with this hobby and a new tank....

Well I'm stressed not cause of contest but cause stuff going down hill...im a patient person in life I know this is gunna take time it's just that,I just got this tank going and it going down faster then it started...

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 01:12 AM
^^^^^^^

Don't sell. Just drop the contest and take it slow. There's lots of help on here

I've noticed alot of mixed review I do one thing cause people say change then a week or two later others say I'm doing wrong

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 01:16 AM
+1. No need for the contest. This hobby is all about passion. A contest is not something that should get you down.

Ask this question: did you get into this hobby for this contest or because you wanted to?

If 2nd part is your answer, then just take things slow. I am a newby like you (been four months or something) and till now, I have faced quite a few bumps but nothing has let me down; and I believe its worth it :)

If 1st part is your answer, well its your call then :)

I've got a 160 gallon fresh water and wanted a challenge..its not the contest its the tanks performance and goin down so fast...ive got passion for aquariums but saltwater is wayy harder then I ever belived..ive got some thinking too do now I guess...stay with fresh or expand

mrhasan
10-23-2012, 01:16 AM
I've noticed alot of mixed review I do one thing cause people say change then a week or two later others say I'm doing wrong

It's one of the MOST debatable hobby out there. Something that work's for someone's tank might work JUST THE OPPOSITE for another tank. You have to test and find your tank's requirement by yourself. Others are here to guide you, but at the end of the day, its you tank and you are the one who should take the risk of trying out to find which works best for you. That's just part of every hobby :)

mrhasan
10-23-2012, 01:17 AM
I've got a 160 gallon fresh water and wanted a challenge..its not the contest its the tanks performance and goin down so fast...ive got passion for aquariums but saltwater is wayy harder then I ever belived..ive got some thinking too do now I guess...stay with fresh or expand

I have been in freshwater for more than 10 years and you can't make me believe that freshwater is easier. I would vote saltwater is easier (I can give you 100s of reasons). It's just a bit more expensive and takes a little more dedication :)

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Here Here, "Nothing Good Happens In A Salt Water Tank Fast, Just Bad Happens Fast!"

Pull out, sit back and just take it nice n slow. Ask lots of question, (even if people like to be *#%} heads on here most will help you lots) and relax- Your build is doing great so far. Just stick with it and all will pay off.
(Hint... Don't throw money at problems, get advice and ask for help there are lots of people here that will help and may have just what you need! We all started out right where you are)

I've been throwing cash at livestock and diy projects that fall apart ...i have asked and I get alot of mixed opions I'm getting pulled in every direction with opions and this is wrong this is right ect....

coolhandgoose
10-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Trust me that will never change, when you post for help on here be prepared for several answers. I always take in the answers then choose a conservative course of action.

I agree with everyone on the slowing down part. I read the last few pages of your tank journal and totally get where you're coming from. Sometimes taking a sample of water to your LFS helps and you can pick their brain in person as to what is happening. The reputable ones won't sell you anything until you're ready.

Nano tanks can be great fun and beautiful, but I find that problems amplify quickly if you make a mistake, bigger tanks can take a few punches if you know what I mean.

Don't give up yet!

Coralgurl
10-23-2012, 02:35 AM
I just read through the last couple pages of your build thread. You started your tank in September right? And struggling with nitrates? And have livestock? My thoughts.....you started with mostly base rock and a couple lbs of lr. Your tank needs more time or needed more time to cycle. Your base rock can take months to become live rock therefore its filtering capabilities are next to none. Youve got 2 lbs of live rock that likely can not handle the small bioload you have. You've been doing a lot of water changes. Honestly, just stop. Let your tank settle. I dont know anything about nano tanks but I think you have just been going too fast. I can see why you are frustrated. You can have the system you want, just leave it, even for a week.

You will get loads of answers to your questions but everyone is just trying to help. Use what makes the most sense for you and if it doesn't work, then try something else. Sometimes a suggestion can mean waiting a week or 2 or a month to see results. It takes time for things to correct in our tanks.

The best thing is to keep going bec it does pay off....eventually. The worst thing you can do is panick. There are such good people here that want to help no matter what, just find your sense of humor and have fun with your tank.

Sorry for the long post, but typing this for you is reminding me of where I was when I started and where I am today with this hobby.

Keep your head up!

mrhasan
10-23-2012, 02:39 AM
I just read through the last couple pages of your build thread. You started your tank in September right? And struggling with nitrates? And have livestock? My thoughts.....you started with mostly base rock and a couple lbs of lr. Your tank needs more time or needed more time to cycle. Your base rock can take months to become live rock therefore its filtering capabilities are next to none. Youve got 2 lbs of live rock that likely can not handle the small bioload you have. You've been doing a lot of water changes. Honestly, just stop. Let your tank settle. I dont know anything about nano tanks but I think you have just been going too fast. I can see why you are frustrated. You can have the system you want, just leave it, even for a week.

You will get loads of answers to your questions but everyone is just trying to help. Use what makes the most sense for you and if it doesn't work, then try something else. Sometimes a suggestion can mean waiting a week or 2 or a month to see results. It takes time for things to correct in our tanks.

The best thing is to keep going bec it does pay off....eventually. The worst thing you can do is panick. There are such good people here that want to help no matter what, just find your sense of humor and have fun with your tank.

Sorry for the long post, but typing this for you is reminding me of where I was when I started and where I am today with this hobby.

Keep your head up!

We all have been in the same spot when we started our first tank.

Everyone over here is a well-wisher since here in the forum, there's nothing to loose! You can only gain knowledge.

So now stop panicking and listen to the common suggestion: don't sell the setup. :)

lockrookie
10-23-2012, 02:43 AM
Stop take a breath have a wobbly pop sleep on it and move forward you may be just having a few spikes nano's can be difficult to dial in due to smaller water volume. I have faith in you ill read your thread and see if I can give you some help that's what we are here for . And as far as contest shmontest you can take your pace there may be a winner but never a loser with a cool tank in the end. And once you have the success you will feel so awesome you'll want to dance Nellie in the streets. Just be careful the tang police may arrest you

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 02:49 AM
Trust me that will never change, when you post for help on here be prepared for several answers. I always take in the answers then choose a conservative course of action.

I agree with everyone on the slowing down part. I read the last few pages of your tank journal and totally get where you're coming from. Sometimes taking a sample of water to your LFS helps and you can pick their brain in person as to what is happening. The reputable ones won't sell you anything until you're ready.

Nano tanks can be great fun and beautiful, but I find that problems amplify quickly if you make a mistake, bigger tanks can take a few punches if you know what I mean.

Don't give up yet!

I'm not gunna give up...

mrhasan
10-23-2012, 02:50 AM
I'm not gunna give up...

That's the spirit :D

reefwars
10-23-2012, 02:52 AM
honestly youll find in time with this hobby less is more....we are the prime reasons things go wrong .

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 02:54 AM

Keep your head up!

Okay thank you...ill be taking it very slow from now on ill stop water changes except the 10-15% wc once weekly...

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 02:55 AM
Stop take a breath have a wobbly pop sleep on it and move forward you may be just having a few spikes nano's can be difficult to dial in due to smaller water volume. I have faith in you ill read your thread and see if I can give you some help that's what we are here for . And as far as contest shmontest you can take your pace there may be a winner but never a loser with a cool tank in the end. And once you have the success you will feel so awesome you'll want to dance Nellie in the streets. Just be careful the tang police may arrest you

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

Thank you

Salt2Death
10-23-2012, 03:03 AM
Good for you buddy!!!

kole
10-23-2012, 03:06 AM
honestly youll find in time with this hobby less is more....we are the prime reasons things go wrong .

Pretty good advise. It takes a while to realize that this is true. Something happens we throw everything at it that we have read. Take it slow and be consistent with good maintenance practices. Unfortunately nanos are less forgiving to mistakes.

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 03:42 AM
Good for you buddy!!!

Thanx:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 03:42 AM
Pretty good advise. It takes a while to realize that this is true. Something happens we throw everything at it that we have read. Take it slow and be consistent with good maintenance practices. Unfortunately nanos are less forgiving to mistakes.

I'm learning that the hard way my mistakes add up and consequences are massive.....

reefwars
10-23-2012, 03:50 AM
I'm learning that the hard way my mistakes add up and consequences are massive.....

not massive at all, if anything learn from this and its not a loss but something gained:)

if you were to set your tank up now , provide the right temp and flow and walk away for 6mths , you would come back to an ecosystem , it would need some cleaning and tlc but none the less provided it had the basics of what it needs it would grow....it doesnt need us to do that it needs us to provide the things it needs when it needs them....try saying that all ten times fast lol

reefkeeping is like gardening in the fact that if you dont allow time for things to grow or adjust , things go backwards instead:)

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 04:35 AM
Soo are you saying I should just stop all water changes for a week or two or more...i was think of pulling out all hermits snails and my red star fish and just leave it for a month what do people think of that...

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 04:36 AM
not massive at all, if anything learn from this and its not a loss but something gained:)

if you were to set your tank up now , provide the right temp and flow and walk away for 6mths , you would come back to an ecosystem , it would need some cleaning and tlc but none the less provided it had the basics of what it needs it would grow....it doesnt need us to do that it needs us to provide the things it needs when it needs them....try saying that all ten times fast lol

reefkeeping is like gardening in the fact that if you dont allow time for things to grow or adjust , things go backwards instead:)

I might just empty invertebrates and leave tank for a month no water changes...

Coralgurl
10-23-2012, 04:41 AM
Leave the inverts for now and go to weekly or bi weekly changes. A month may be too long.

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 04:44 AM
Leave the inverts for now and go to weekly or bi weekly changes. A month may be too long.

At water change time 10% or 50% oorrr what

reefwars
10-23-2012, 04:45 AM
I might just empty invertebrates and leave tank for a month no water changes...

the stars prob never had a chance to begin with , they do better in mature systems.

the snails can stay, so can the crabs.

ok for the record and im telling you this as a fact that 40ppm is nothing thats going to destroy your reef over night , you have time to slowly bring it down .

heres what you do:

youve already done plenty of water changes , so now just go weekly or bi weekly.

no more food hits the tank period.

turkey baste rocks and holes really squeeze the gunk out of there.

get your self a skimmer that works.

ask around for some pods, basically some cheato or even a scoop of sand to get some bio diversity in your tank.....thats a big problem with dry rock.

then.....walk away come back in 2 weeks, clean the tank out do another water change and again let it stable.

look into running some sort of media to battle phoshates.

in all honesty you want this tank for years right? so whats wrong with a small step out of the picture while the tank stabilizes.

a tank can go over a year before it completely stabilizes , in the mean time there are things we can do to help it along , but you cant rush nature it takes time.

cheers

JmeJReefer
10-23-2012, 06:25 AM
I have got a brs reactor I have no use for. 20$ and some leftover bio pellets. Will help with phosphates n such....it just needs a pump and ur good to go!

nanoreefnewbie
10-23-2012, 08:49 PM
I have got a brs reactor I have no use for. 20$ and some leftover bio pellets. Will help with phosphates n such....it just needs a pump and ur good to go!

I think I should be good for now thank you tho