PDA

View Full Version : thoughts

lpsreefer
10-22-2012, 09:03 AM
i was super excited about the nano contest. now im not sure.
issues i have lately.

first found mice in the basement so i got about 12 traps out havent caught any yet. only been a week. so ill have to wait and see. i took the dog food out from down there, so now there's no more food in the basement.

second issue
my Vlamingii tang died today. i had him just about a year.
The cause by the look of him was a sting of some sort.
i dont know if it was one of my BIG AIPTASIA thats in there.
or maybe my foxface. all my other tangs in that tank are fine.
i have never had this problem before. he was a great fish always swimming out front. never shy. my second favorite fish.

third issue
well this out kinda goes with the second, but i can see his body under my liverock. hes died. hes not breathing. i dont have access to get him out really unless i rig up some kinda hose and suck him out by siphoning. or do i leave him and let my Cuc eat the body and deal with any spikes in the tank?
he about 9 to 10 inches.
the tank + sump is roughly 400 gallon of water volume.

so instead of going with a little 15 gallon tank i was thinking of upgrading one of my other tanks to a new 230 gallon.( 72long by 30wide by 24high)
the second option is a 180 gallon (72long by 24wide by 24 high)
prolly my 125 gallon.
i can use almost all the equipment from the 125 on the new tank.
ill just have to get a few more power heads and maybe add a light.
skimmer is rated for 500 gallons. so thats good for now.
the sump well have to upgraded as its only a little 20 gallon.

any input?
pro/cons?
im i going overboard due to all my issues?

lpsreefer
10-22-2012, 09:17 AM
pro:
bigger tank!
Con:
transferring! can loose fish. (my favorite fish)(my oldest fish)(desjardini sailfin tang)
i hear a lot of horror stories about transfers.

125 gallon stock list:
Fish:
desjardini sailfin tang(main reason i havent shut the tank down or upgraded)
Eibl's Angelfish
checkboard wrasse
pinkbelly wrasse
yellow tang
one spot foxface

coral:
toadstool
Yellow Fiji Leather Coral
Kenya Tree Coral
purple/blue mushrooms
zoas

Inverts:
maxi mini nems
brown BTAs
2 peppermint shrimp (lazy and only eat fish food)
cleaner shrip (lazy and only eat fish food)
snails( all kinds)
crabs (all kinds of hermits, two unknown{they look like emralds but arent} they have never cause any harm and have been in the tank two years})
and.....AIPTASIA

The Grizz
10-22-2012, 01:43 PM
I will read all of this later but first tip for the mice, peanut butter and a piece of dog food on the trap works great. We caught 12 mice in under 4 hrs last fall doing this.

PurpleMonkey
10-22-2012, 03:30 PM
If you don't mind them dieing on you (and you can keep kids/dog away) Boric acid (aka Borax) mixed in with that peanut butter will generally take care of things as well

The Grizz
10-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Ok first issue, the mice. With winter approaching they are looking for a nice warm spot to nest and there doesn't have to be food down there, they will find it any where they can. Being in the country we have mice all the time at this time of year. Once we notice signs out come the traps and we are mouse free in a few days again.

Second issue I can only assume but maybe he got caught up in a bad spot in the rock and injured himself getting out. Or it could have been a stung from the fox face but I have my doubts about that. I have had a scribbled rabbit for a few years in with my Tangs without issue. You might have to wait until the CUC do some of the work on the caucus in order to get some of him out a piece at a time.

As for an upgrade I would say go as big as you can / want to handle with the equipment you have & the sailfin will survive. I brought mine from Calgary to home and just this weekend moved my entire 165 gal to the other end of my living room. I had another good size tank available to put all the fish and some coral into with a heater and circulation. Everyone made the move no problem.

Don't stress / over think the little issues as really that's what they are little issues. We all have them & if you say you don't you would be lying.

Hope that helped some what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badfish!
10-22-2012, 09:05 PM
I will read all of this later but first tip for the mice, peanut butter and a piece of dog food on the trap works great. We caught 12 mice in under 4 hrs last fall doing this.

Someone posted a bucket and pop can trap for them that looked like it would work great, can't remember who though

lpsreefer
10-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks Greg.
I knew I forgot to bait the traps with peanut butter as I ran out of peanut butter.

I'll still be sweating over the tank transfer until its done.
thanks for the push in the right direction.

The Grizz
10-23-2012, 02:48 AM
Anytime my friend :biggrin: if I lived closer I would come lend a hand.

I know you probably already know this but when you do transfer tank & want to reuse the sand try not to disturb it to much before you get all the fishes out. Remove as much water as possible first to move to the new tank. Take your time, make sure you have everything & anything you will need before you start, you will all good.

NOW......go get some damn peanut butter :razz:

Midway
10-23-2012, 03:18 AM
Best remedy for mice, get a cat..:biggrin: i had a lot of issues with mice years ago, a cat was the solution. I didn't want poisons or traps in my house. We have been mice free for years now.

lpsreefer
10-23-2012, 09:53 AM
My dogs don't like cats due to when they were puppies the neighbors cat beat them up pretty bad. So cat is out.
I was planning on getting new sand as I hate fine sand! Such a pain.
I like the special grade stuff! I use it in all my tanks now.
I was also thinking I might reuse the sand but in the sump.

fishoholic
10-23-2012, 01:44 PM
If you reuse any of your old sand rinse it really really well before adding it. To much gunk gets trapped in old sand and will cause issues if not rinsed out well before being transferred.

The Grizz
10-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Ya what Laurie said :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk