PDA

View Full Version : Tank painting on back panel

The Guy
10-22-2012, 06:35 AM
I would like paint the outside of my back panel black, but I don't want to use spray paint. Is there a good roll on paint I could use?
Input welcomed. :biggrin:

eli@fijireefrock.com
10-22-2012, 06:55 AM
I believe any acrylic paint would do the job as long as your pane is clean of creep salt.
Something I have done as I am afraid of painting and at some point I need to view the tank from the back so I grabbed and taped neatly a large black garbage bag to the pane I needed covered. Every few month to a year I change from black to blue:biggrin::biggrin:

scubadawg
10-22-2012, 07:20 AM
I just used a piece of black foam core pressure fitted to my 20 gallon long tank

FishyFishy!
10-22-2012, 02:18 PM
You should try a vinyl background if you don't want to use spray paint. I always noticed that any tanks with roll on paint looks bad. You can usually see streaks throughout.

Why no spray paint? Krylon Fusion works wonders, and it sticks to everything.

Coralgurl
10-22-2012, 04:35 PM
If you don't want to paint, find a black or blue vinyl backing. I used acrylic paint and it looked crappy and simply peeled off. If you can spray it, go for it, but don't do it in your home....I had black dust on every surface.

The Guy
10-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll go with the black vinyl background

Bblinks
10-22-2012, 07:49 PM
I was just gonna say vinyl black is prolly the best choice.

duncangweller
10-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Laurie,
I used a roller and a tin of paint from home depot to paint the back of my tank. Just make sure you open the windows.....the paint is a bit pongy.

It looks really good too.

Dunc

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

biggerstretch
10-23-2012, 05:32 PM
I painted mine before it was set up however basic acrylic latex paint from home depot works great , I had them take a mis tint and darken it up for me so it was cheap. Clean the back of the tank with some vinegar or methyl hydrate and you are good to go. I always hated trying to get the plastic or vinyl backgrounds to stay flat with no bubbles .... Paint scrapes off with a razor real easy if you want to change the color.