PDA

View Full Version : Calcium...too much?

danny zubot
04-22-2004, 03:16 PM
After overhauling my aquarium (new substrate and adding a sump) My levels are doing rather well, accept for my calcium level. I could not believe that it was at 560ppm the first time I tested so I tryed again. Its great that I haven't added suppliments for a while and I attribute this to my new aragonite substrate and the brand of salt I used. My question is how much is too much? Will this level of calcium have any negative effects in my aquarium? Its been 11 days like this now, should I be worried?

Buccaneer
04-22-2004, 03:20 PM
A unusually high Calcium level can be the result of too low alk or Magnesium ... all 3 have to be in balance ... start with testing Magnesium ( 1300 is about right ) and then test alk.

Cheers

christyf5
04-22-2004, 03:22 PM
What brand of test kit are you using? Hagens can sometimes be a bit wonky.

Christy :)

danny zubot
04-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Well thats just it, I used a hagen test but I worked well in the past. I guess I'll find another one.

Aquattro
04-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Every time I see a post where Ca is super high, the test kit is Hagen. Try Salifert and see what the levels really are.

Steve, low Mg can cause low Ca, not high.

StirCrazy
04-22-2004, 11:57 PM
A unusually high Calcium level can be the result of too low alk or Magnesium ... all 3 have to be in balance ... start with testing Magnesium ( 1300 is about right ) and then test alk.

Cheers

count Mg out of this problem if your Mg is to low you Ca will also be to low.

my guess is you have a severly depressed Alk level. but like Brad said test your water with another kit befor you do anything.

Steve

Buccaneer
04-23-2004, 12:53 AM

Cheers

my guess is you have a severly depressed Alk level. but like Brad said test your water with another kit befor you do anything.

Steve

Is there an echo in here :rolleyes:

PS thanks Brad I did have it backwards

StirCrazy
04-23-2004, 01:42 AM

Cheers

Steve

Is there an echo in here :rolleyes:

PS thanks Brad I did have it backwards

sorry I didn't see it in Brad's post untill after. :rolleyes:

Steve

Aquattro
04-23-2004, 01:51 AM
I am babbling so just tell me to shut up

This is gonna be my favorite quote of all time :razz:

Buccaneer
04-23-2004, 01:51 AM
:razz: :mrgreen: