PDA

View Full Version : Diff. between Sps bleaching and new growth..

Javlaviking77
10-21-2012, 05:44 AM
Hi. I've been slowly increasing the output of my AI sol LEDs ..
Fairly new to keeping Sps corals..Was hoping someone could help me with how to notice the difference between bleaching and new growth..

If the tips are white but still have polyp extension - is this just new growth?
Cheers.

camaro7019
10-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Im new to sps aswell but i believe so, if you had bleaching the polyps wouldnt come out cause they are stressed cause of to much light??? i think? lol

Proteus
10-21-2012, 03:28 PM
White tips could be growth as my convexa is like such. But as stated before no polyp extension to me may be alk burn

windcoast reefs
10-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Most of my birds nests have white tips with white polyps when they are happy and growing. Other SPS don't always grow like that though, My acropora nana never get white tips unless it is super ****ed off, or ive done something wrong. The white tips on that coral never live, usually get algae on them.

Just keep an eye on them, if they start to get algae, or go brown then its to much light. Another way to check is to take a photo of the corals and then keep taking them in the same spot a few times a week. Then you can see if it is growth or bleaching.

Javlaviking77
10-27-2012, 04:12 AM
Thanks guys. Really appreciated the feedback.
Well- this coral's white tips have increased..no algae yet and polyps are still extended...so...looks like all is well and Im happy it's growing so quickly. (I sure hope that's the case;)
Cheers.