PDA

View Full Version : LF: Daycare/Dayhome for my son - Edmonton

mr_alberta
10-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Finding a dayhome/daycare has proven more difficult than imagined. I'm looking for a daycare or dayhome for my infant son starting next July. If anyone knows someone or can recommend someone, that would be fantastic! Let me know!

Prefer south south side if possible.

lockrookie
10-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Check with the gov of Canada child are or early learning for Alberta they may have a list of a all licences available day area in your area. I'm not sure how Alberta runs it. But my wife has a daycare home and is listed in it for sask. you can go private home but with licences you at least know they are governed and graded by the gov. Regulated for fire safety food quality and education ect. If you have questions pm me I may be Able to help. Just would have to search for the siter pertaining to your province.

Jeff

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

Flash
10-21-2012, 01:30 AM
Ask Laurie!!!!!!!!!!!

mr_alberta
10-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Which Laurie???

mr_alberta
10-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks Jeff, much appreciated!

Proteus
10-21-2012, 04:14 PM
I'll do it for sps

fishoholic
10-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Which Laurie???

Me! I work in childcare.

First make sure it is a non-profit accredited daycare. Make sure that they have an open door policy: meaning you can stop in whenever and check up with them. I also highly recommend spending a whole day or two visiting with with and closely observing how they interact with the children. I've had parents spend a whole week observing before their child started with us. Ask to see their licensing reports, they are supposed to be available for parents to read and are usually informative as to how the staff are with the children and how the centre is being run. If a centre won't let you see the reports then run in the other direction, as they probably have something in them they don't want you to see.

Make a list of questions you have for the workers and ask them everything and anything, the good ones should be able to answer any and all questions and ease your concerns. Listen to your gut and the vibe being given off about the place. Most of the better quality centres are doing documentation panels; basically a poster board of some sort showing pictures of the children involved in an activity and an explanation of some sort as to what the children are doing/learning from that activity. Also ask if you can see an example of the children's portfolio's. Good quality centres will have a portfolio for each child containing pictures, paintings, drawings and information about that child.

Keep in mind that good centres have long wait lists for infant care. Get your name on a list asap. Once you're on the list it's helpful to call ahead to the centre you want at least 2 months before you want your child to start and be persistent about wanting them there. Keep calling back/checking in with them so they know your interested. It usually makes you memorable to the centre and gives them incentive to pick you over someone else when a spot becomes available.

This is a really good one on the southside, the director's name is Kristy:

McKernan Child Development Centre
11125 - 76 Avenue NW Edmonton, AB T6G 0J9
780-414-0421
http://www.mckernanbaptist.ca/index.cfm?i=5912&mid=1000&id=179383

Hope that helps, feel free to pm me with any questions.

mr_alberta
10-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Fantastic, thanks Laurie!

fishoholic
10-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Fantastic, thanks Laurie!

No problem. Also so you know a lot of daycares are charging a registration fee to be on the wait list and most places will say its a two year wait but that's just what they say in case they can't get you in when you want. FYI if they offer you a spot a month early take it as it might be awhile before they have another spot.

Seriak
10-22-2012, 05:38 PM
What is a non-profit accredited daycare. You mean people actually look after a bunch of kids all day with no expectation of profit?

reefgirl189
10-22-2012, 06:07 PM
You mean people actually look after a bunch of kids all day with no expectation of profit?

Sadly, yes. In my case it's called parenting. Not sure what I was thinking :mrgreen:

Seriak
10-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Sadly, yes. In my case it's called parenting. Not sure what I was thinking :mrgreen:

Lol, Oh, I understand parenting! I guess I should have said "other people's kids"

reefgirl189
10-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Lol, Oh, I understand parenting! I guess I should have said "other people's kids"

Lol, no, you were perfectly clear. I just couldn't resist ;) I'm not sure how they do it. I normally can't stand other people's children. I personally think my son's caretaker is worth every penny she gets.

fishoholic
10-22-2012, 06:59 PM
What is a non-profit accredited daycare. You mean people actually look after a bunch of kids all day with no expectation of profit?

Non-profit means government run or parent board directed centre. All the fees go to running the building, and paying staff wages, anything extra goes into the program for the children's Benefit. A profit centre is privately owned and usually the staff working there have minimal qualifications and are paid less. After the staff and building fees are covered anything extra goes into the owners pocket.

Accreditation is a government process were people come into the centre for a few days and monitor everything that's being done in the centre. Afterwards based on what they see and find they will either pass you or not. If you pass you get a plaque to hang on the wall.

:pound: LMAO!

lockrookie
10-22-2012, 08:00 PM
I think you guys run it different there than here in sask. given we have centres but not go. Run just gov monitored. My wife runs a gov monitored in home care home we are regulated as to the amount and ages of the kids per caregiver including our kids. She is allowed 8 kids only two under two (the twins cover thAt) total of five preschoolers and rest school age. If we go over or don't follow the gov rules and guidelines as well as yearly training and schooling they can shut us down. There are private daycares not licenced with the gov. But with being licenced you get grants every year for toy upgrade and food grants.

Although I suppose we would be considered a profit daycare. I wish there was we kinda break even every month. Lol but I do strongly advise to seek out gov licenced

Sent from my porcelain aquarium