PDA

View Full Version : regarding GSP not opening

acepumping
10-20-2012, 11:39 PM
hey, i have a simple question
how come my GSP will not open still??

all parameters are fine.

it has this brown stuff on outside, its not them sliming away though like xenia when it dies.
its just looks like diatoms on them when they are closed.
some are open some are'nt

thanks
any help will help

coolhandgoose
10-21-2012, 12:22 AM
It's always a simple question, not an easy answer :mrgreen:

Pics always help.
What are the "fine parameters"?
What kind of lighting? New or old bulbs?
Water changes?

reefwars
10-21-2012, 12:32 AM
brush the dark purple/red film off them and they will open sooner, either way they will open on their own too.

mrhasan
10-21-2012, 01:17 AM
The GSP rock that I got from someone took around 4/5 days to open fully. Heard that they do like to give this heart attack.

acepumping
10-22-2012, 05:22 AM
they were gorgeous before, some rocks that have it are open but not to the extent where it looks amazing, the ones that are open look liek they are wilted over kinda

parimeters

ph:8.2
sal: 1.025
nitrates: 20ppm <---lol, always been high so its not the issue
nitrites:0
phos: close to 0
temp:77
lights: ai sol's
running pellets that are 3 weeks old, with mb7
rowa phos
charcoal reactor
uv sterilizer and euroreef skimmer
it seems it started after running pellets

FitoPharmer
10-22-2012, 07:11 PM
It may just be your tank Ace. I find there are several soft corals that are really hit or miss in reef tanks. I always read on the forums here about watching out for GSP because it will take over your tank. I have a hard time keeping it happy for whatever reason. It always seems to just slowly dwindle away. Same with xenia, many people hate this coral because of its prolific growth. However in my tank it slowly melts away over time. I also read that a additive called Fuel made by Seachem may help with this problem, but I have yet to try it.

canadianbudz604
10-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Did you change your flow at all? I had a fair sized piece in my 10g nano and it was thriving. I bought a new powerhead and it closed up and stayed that way for 3 weeks. Also they are pretty finnicky if u move them around (at least mine was).

Cal_stir
10-22-2012, 08:53 PM
+1 on the flow
also adding the pellets with the rowa phos and the high nitrates may have totally stripped your po4 and corals need some po4.