PDA

View Full Version : Sand vs. Barebottom?

mandyplo
10-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Doing a big tank move probably in the next months time... Currently have 2-3 inches of fine aragonite sand...

Considering going barebottom but don't really know much about it, what are your opinions, preferences, experiences?

If it makes any difference I'm adding a sump to my system... should I just have sand in the sump and barebottom in the display?

Any other substrates you guys reccomend? Thanks in advance

Myka
10-20-2012, 10:38 PM
What type of corals do you have?

Generally, BB is an SPS thing because low nutrients or ULNS is easier to achieve with no sand and also because of the super high flow used in SPS tanks where sand might blow around too much. My SPS tank is mostly BB, just a bit of sand remnants dusting here and there. When I eventually get the new tank moved in I will be using white starboard on the bottom (HDPE sheeting) which I think looks nicer than glass and also helps protect the bottom pane from rock slides.

If sand is used, I prefer a coarse sand like the CaribSea Special Grade. I also like to use only 1/4-1/2" of sand or at least definitely not more than 1". This way it is ok to use a gravel vacuum to vacuum the entire depth of the sand to keep it quite clean. IMO there is no point in having more than just a skim layer unless you're doing a DSB. A DSB should not be disturbed by vacuuming (or sand sifting fish!) at all.

mandyplo
10-21-2012, 12:58 AM
What exactly is a DSB? The starboard thing you mentioned sounds like a good idea... I'm not crazy about the glass bottom look either... I like a solid color... I guess I could always paint it? Or put something else on the bottom like this board you are speaking of. I'm going to look up more on this I like it the more I think about it :) Thanks Myka!

mandyplo
10-21-2012, 01:11 AM
Oh and to answer your question - currently no corals, I'd like to tackle some easier to keep SPS and whatnot... I love zoas, I'm mostly going to go for a zoa paly lps tank <3

Northernseacorals
10-21-2012, 01:12 AM
What exactly is a DSB? The starboard thing you mentioned sounds like a good idea... I'm not crazy about the glass bottom look either... I like a solid color... I guess I could always paint it? Or put something else on the bottom like this board you are speaking of. I'm going to look up more on this I like it the more I think about it :) Thanks Myka!

DSB is a Deep Sand Bed.

This website can be acronym hell :wink:

daplatapus
10-21-2012, 01:14 AM
DSB stands for Deep Sand Bed. I thought I read somewhere that it was considered a DSB at 4" or deeper. Feel free to correct me on that one.

mandyplo
10-21-2012, 02:02 AM
You guys hear anything about tile bottoms? I don't know what to do :(

The starboard is expensive... what about this stuff? http://www.interstateplastics.com/Black-Hdpe-Sheet-HDPBE.php?vid=201107262317-5p

I just don't know how I feel about the black HDPE and having a black bottom. I want to go as natural looking as possible, so I am considering a 1/4" sand bottom, but I'm worried about my goby or my powerheads blowing sand away from one spot and the glass showing through in those bare patches... It would be a PITA to always go in there and even out the bare spots wouldn't it?

Heres a thought... I'm brain storming as I'm writing this... What about a natural/sand colored tile bottom with 1/4 sand on top?
I would go with just tile but I don't think I'd like the look of a tiled floor in my tank, all the lines between each tile and what not... so I think the sand on top would make it look more natural, then if some blows away in some spots it would still look alright

What do you guys think?

ocean diver
10-21-2012, 02:23 AM
I have had both BB and sand bottom and they both have pros and cons. A Bare Bottom (BB) is a lot easier to keep clean and to suck up any debris during water changes, but lacks a little in appearance, also limits on some animal you can have that need sand. Sand bottom has the nice natural look to it but can collect debris in it but is home to many animals that need the sand. So I think it comes down to personal preference.

Myka
10-21-2012, 01:55 PM

The glass will get covered in coralline for the most part anyway, so it won't stay looking reflective for very long...maybe 6-12 months to cover the bottom nicely depending how fast your tank grows coralline.

Painting it won't do much because the glass will still look reflective since you will not be viewing it straight on.

You guys hear anything about tile bottoms? I don't know what to do :(

I've been looking into using untreated/unfilled travertine, but I haven't come across any people using it to cover the entire bottom of the tank yet, just people talking about doing it.

The starboard is expensive... what about this stuff? http://www.interstateplastics.com/Black-Hdpe-Sheet-HDPBE.php?vid=201107262317-5p

I just don't know how I feel about the black HDPE and having a black bottom.

You found a source for real starboard? I can't find any around here, and most people have trouble locating it. Lot of people use the HDPE sheets. HDPE should come in an array of colors.

I want to go as natural looking as possible, so I am considering a 1/4" sand bottom, but I'm worried about my goby or my powerheads blowing sand away from one spot and the glass showing through in those bare patches... It would be a PITA to always go in there and even out the bare spots wouldn't it?

What kind of Goby? Some fish need sand to be comfortable. Without sand you can't have some fish. Since you are going to have an LPS/Zoa tank I would suggest you use a 1" coarse sand layer. You can vacuum that to its full depth to help keep it clean. You can also use critters like Fighting Conchs, Nassarius Snails, and Cerith Snails to keep it clean.

Heres a thought... I'm brain storming as I'm writing this... What about a natural/sand colored tile bottom with 1/4 sand on top?
I would go with just tile but I don't think I'd like the look of a tiled floor in my tank, all the lines between each tile and what not... so I think the sand on top would make it look more natural, then if some blows away in some spots it would still look alright

What do you guys think?

I think if that's your idea use white starboard/HDPE instead of tile, and put the sand on top. Some people do that.

Doug
10-21-2012, 04:55 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/bottom2.jpg

This an old pic I found of a false bottom I once made for my 90g cube. If my memory serves me correct, I used a thick sheet of plexi glass. Put on a layer of reef safe silicone and then encrusted it with 1mm to 2mm aragonite. Lots of aging and rinsing after.

Worked and looked pretty good. Did collect detritus but could be sucked out during water changes.

Ot at least I think it did. :lol: Was a long time ago.

mandyplo
10-21-2012, 05:32 PM
You found a source for real starboard? I can't find any around here, and most people have trouble locating it. Lot of people use the HDPE sheets. HDPE should come in an array of colors.

What kind of Goby? Some fish need sand to be comfortable. Without sand you can't have some fish. Since you are going to have an LPS/Zoa tank I would suggest you use a 1" coarse sand layer. You can vacuum that to its full depth to help keep it clean. You can also use critters like Fighting Conchs, Nassarius Snails, and Cerith Snails to keep it clean.

I think if that's your idea use white starboard/HDPE instead of tile, and put the sand on top. Some people do that.

I didn't really find anyone in my town who sells starboard I just looked it up online for info and a price. I live in a small town if it was sold locally it would be 2x more expensive than buying online anyways, this town is rediculous.
I have a yellow watchman goby. He does have a home in a hole in one of my live rock peices... Im not sure if it's dug into the sand per se.
How coarse of a sandbed would you recommend if I did go with 1" depth and wanted to be able to vacuum it?

mandyplo
10-21-2012, 05:45 PM
And here's a thought... When I do the big tank move should I keep my current 1yr old sand or get new coarse sand for the display, and put some of the fine 1yr old sand in the refuge in the new sump I'm finally adding to my system?
If I put the old stuff in my sump, how much should I put in?

Madreefer
10-21-2012, 05:48 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/bottom2.jpg

This an old pic I found of a false bottom I once made for my 90g cube. If my memory serves me correct, I used a thick sheet of plexi glass. Put on a layer of reef safe silicone and then encrusted it with 1mm to 2mm aragonite. Lots of aging and rinsing after.

Worked and looked pretty good. Did collect detritus but could be sucked out during water changes.

Ot at least I think it did. :lol: Was a long time ago.

Now this actually looks good. For me i'm trying to create my own little piece of the ocean in my home and a with out sand it just takes away from the whole look. It looks bad IMO. I only have a 144G and run a Barracuda pump and have 2 MP40s and a MP10 all set at 80% on NTM and have sugar sand. No sand storms and even have a sand sifting goby. With proper placement of rock and the powerheads nobody should be having sand floating around in their tank.

Madreefer
10-21-2012, 05:55 PM
And here's a thought... When I do the big tank move should I keep my current 1yr old sand or get new coarse sand for the display, and put some of the fine 1yr old sand in the refuge in the new sump I'm finally adding to my system?
If I put the old stuff in my sump, how much should I put in?

What I would do and have done in all my tank upgrades. I take about a 1/4 of my old sand and set aside. As for the rest of it I rinse that hell out of it over and over and use it again. I than just put it back in and the sand i set aside is good for dseedig the sand I rinsed. Some people just worry to much. I've done it this way so many times with my tanks and others with no problems popping up at all.

mandyplo
10-21-2012, 07:38 PM
What I would do and have done in all my tank upgrades. I take about a 1/4 of my old sand and set aside. As for the rest of it I rinse that hell out of it over and over and use it again. I than just put it back in and the sand i set aside is good for dseedig the sand I rinsed. Some people just worry to much. I've done it this way so many times with my tanks and others with no problems popping up at all.

Ok thanks! Should I put anything in my sump with my chaeto? Some people use miracle mud, what are the benefits of using that? Or should I just use some of the sand from my display?