PDA

View Full Version : Reef Safe Cement With Good Local Availability

Enigma
10-20-2012, 12:03 AM
I need a reef safe cement that has good local availability.

I kind of randomly tossed some rock together, and came up with a scape that I love. I want to cement it all together before I move it.

Unfortunately, I built it in the downstairs bathroom: so close to the door that only two of us who live in house can even get the door open far enough to get into the bathroom. :rolleyes:

What can I purchase here in Calgary, pronto, that is reef safe? I've read that Portland #3 is good, but I also think it might have limited availability. I'm not overly worried about silicates: I'm just worried about not killing anything.

albert_dao
10-20-2012, 12:51 AM
lol, wut?

All cements will have an impact on your pH values. Most cements will be safe once you cure them. Are you able to throw the structure into a large tub of water for six weeks?

Enigma
10-20-2012, 01:05 AM
lol, wut?

All cements will have an impact on your pH values. Most cements will be safe once you cure them. Are you able to throw the structure into a large tub of water for six weeks?

It is for my contest tank. I won't get quite six weeks, I don't think. I don't remember the first livestock addition date. December 1, maybe? Five weeks? Safe enough to add a Kenya tree. ;)

Oh! Lol. My three-year-old and I are the ones who can get through the door. ;)

I had a brain fart. As long as I used aragonite sand I won't have an issue with silicates. Right? I have some big bits of crushed shells, too.

Home Depot has the regular Portland cement, so I'll just pick up a bag of that for $12. :)

albert_dao
10-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Silicates? I don't think they're going to be an issue... I make all of my frag plugs (250-500 lot batches) out of portland white + play sand aggregate, so you should be fine.

Delphinus
10-20-2012, 04:10 AM
You want Emaco General Purpose or Emaco General Purpose R400. Cures at ph7 and can be used instantly. I used it to build my reefscape in my 280g (2 years running now).

Availability info in this post - http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=433353&postcount=14

albert_dao
10-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Well would you look at that. Learn something new everyday :D

♥ Toneh.

Delphinus
10-20-2012, 04:35 AM
LOL Albert. Hey I'm a loveable guy. :lol:

Anyhow I guess I should add I used it in my 65g as well. In both tanks I did exactly as you describe you want to do: I scaped out a structure, solidified it with rods and cement then dropped them in the tank. I love the stuff, it blends into the rock perfectly. Coraline has an affinity for it too so it gets covered quickly.

Anyhow if you want some of my leftover bag, you're welcome to come borrow it. Only thing I ask if you could bring the bag back when you're done because I might do some more aquascaping down the road one day. Two tanks and I've only used maybe 25% of it, a little goes a long way. I live in the deep south. PM me if that works.

chewie
10-20-2012, 05:15 AM
Thank you for the great info on reef safe cement. I have been making agrocrete rock for my tanks and am tired of having to wait for the ph to come down before using. Takes months for it to get below 9. That is with having it in tubs outside with rain water down spouts from house running into them to constantly flush them, and living on the west coast it rains alot...
Once cured though the coraline sure does love it, covered in a matter of weeks.
Now to track down a supplier out here.

Enigma
10-20-2012, 10:35 AM
I've read about the thorite cement. I wasn't optimistic about finding any in the city.

I had decided on using this: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/portland-expanding-grout-227kg/958173

But, I guess if it is taking months for Chewie's pH to lower . . . I should really use the thorite if I have the opportunity too.

soapy
10-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Hey could I bum a cup of that cement? I would be interested in testing it out for some frag plugs against the Portland white cement I have been using.

LOL Albert. Hey I'm a loveable guy. :lol:

Anyhow I guess I should add I used it in my 65g as well. In both tanks I did exactly as you describe you want to do: I scaped out a structure, solidified it with rods and cement then dropped them in the tank. I love the stuff, it blends into the rock perfectly. Coraline has an affinity for it too so it gets covered quickly.

Anyhow if you want some of my leftover bag, you're welcome to come borrow it. Only thing I ask if you could bring the bag back when you're done because I might do some more aquascaping down the road one day. Two tanks and I've only used maybe 25% of it, a little goes a long way. I live in the deep south. PM me if that works.

molotov
11-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Hope you don't mind me busting into this thread. I had a piece of my aquascape fall down. When I originally built the scape I used the 2-part epoxy and it was super strong. Four months later it breaks off and fell off the supporting structure.

What would you recommend to fix this? Would I have to pull the pieces out and use cement to get them back togther? If I did take the pieces out, how long would they have to cure for before I put them back in the tank?