PDA

View Full Version : Eshopps PSK-100H question

RenHoek104
10-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm using a PSK-100H and I was wondering, how much junk should I be removing from my tank? I have a very light bioload (1 gudgeon, 1 shrimp and a few snails) and I'm skimming about 1/8" per 2-3 days. Granted it's made for a 100+ tank and mine is only a 33 with a light bioload, but should I be worried that it isn't working properly? I have a Red Sea Prizm that I might be able to use as well, but the sump is made for the PSK. Anyone have any luck with these skimmers? I looked on Youtube and I find that mine doesn't have as many bubbles as the ones on Youtube.

Thanks,
Ren

FishyFishy!
10-19-2012, 09:11 PM
They really aren't the best skimmers IMO, but at the same time, you don't have a lot of bio load at all. I wouldn't be worried. I would however, throw that Prism away! I loath those skimmers lol. Never was able to keep one normally, I always had to adjust them every second day.

Have you tried to adjust it for more foam at the top of the cup?

RenHoek104
10-19-2012, 10:17 PM
They really aren't the best skimmers IMO, but at the same time, you don't have a lot of bio load at all. I wouldn't be worried. I would however, throw that Prism away! I loath those skimmers lol. Never was able to keep one normally, I always had to adjust them every second day.

Have you tried to adjust it for more foam at the top of the cup?

I did, but then when I empty it i get water on the floor and the readjustment is a pain in the rear. I made my sump for it and a Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 should fit, so worst case scenario I'll switch it up when my bioload gets too high.

Ren

Reef_Geek
10-20-2012, 01:10 AM
I run two of these. One on a 65 gal and one on a 25 gal, no complaints once I figured out the water level adjustment I wanted.

Keep in mind with new plastic, there's a break-in period of a week or two... wondering if you have a brand new unit.

Reef_Geek
10-20-2012, 02:01 AM
PS-noticed you said sump, and you mentioned the PSK-100H model.

if you have it hanging off the sump, it's going to depend on your flow rate through the sump from your system, otherwise it's just skimming your sump with lots of turnovers within it.

also, fyi, I have mine hanging directly on my tanks (no sumps) and I get about 1-2 cm of collection a day. I have adjusted the skimmer water level (via turning the tapered pipe on the effluent assembly as designed) such that the water level is about 3 cm into the narrow riser tube of the collection cup. Yes, this means I have to unplug my skimmers before removing their cups to dump the collection.

PS-don't forget remove the plug at the end of the overflow tubing coming off the collection cup. I bought one of mine used, from a girl, she commented "that overflow tube isn't very helpful, it only holds about 1 ml" and I didn't have the heart to tell her... as she would no longer have to worry about it anyway after I bought it off her. I direct my overflow tubing back into the tank, contingency only.

RenHoek104
10-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Good point on the sump. I'm pulling about 300 GPH (according to my overflow) and my return pump is toned down to that as well. I wouldn't mind having the skimmer in the DT but I can't because the length of the pipes will knock the lights. I have a Hagen Waterhome tank if you know the model, then you know my problem. I should pick up an in-sump skimmer? Why it would make a difference? Could it be that the PSK-100H is not sitting in enough water and therefore isn't skimming as much as it should?

As for the break-in period, it's been running for about 4 months now.

Thanks,
Ren

Reef_Geek
10-20-2012, 07:31 PM
if your sump water level is not up to the rim, I suspect that might be the problem. Also, I suspect most people with sumps will take advantage of the available space to get a bigger skimmer.

ElGuappo
10-20-2012, 07:42 PM
if your sump water level is not up to the rim, I suspect that might be the problem. Also, I suspect most people with sumps will take advantage of the available space to get a bigger skimmer.

i agree with this. i use the same simmer on a 25. my thawts are your later level is to low thus its struggling to pull water into itself.

Sent from my galaxy S2 using tapatalk

ElGuappo
10-20-2012, 07:44 PM
i have a euroreef in 80 if you want it. free needs a pump and an elbow.

um but Qc is a long way away. oops.

Sent from my galaxy S2 using tapatalk