PDA

View Full Version : Pm bullet 3 skimmer

spit.fire
10-19-2012, 04:05 AM
Does anyone know what the ideal pump rating and flow is ideal for these skimmers?

Also is there anything on the market to get rid of the noise from it pulling air?

monocus
10-19-2012, 04:23 AM
i have a bullet 2 and the pump (gen x pcx 40)is noisier than any air that gets sucked in

Doug
10-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know what the ideal pump rating and flow is ideal for these skimmers?

Also is there anything on the market to get rid of the noise from it pulling air?

Never actually owned a PM but several different similar models. Ran it with the Mak4 also but actually found the Mag24 drove it better, at the cost of more heat and power consumption of course.

My friend switched his from the Mak 4 to a Panworld, and it skimmed even better then. Dropped the water level in the skimmer much lower because their was such a huge foam head with the more powerful pump. I dont recall the size Panworld but think it was the 200. I would have to go back and look to be exact.

whatcaneyedo
10-19-2012, 08:48 PM
I still use a PM Bullet 3 and I think Dez does as well. The optimal pump for it is an Iwaki 70 according to the owners manual which you may still be able to download from PMs website. Thats what I'm using these days however I do find it to be much louder than the Iwaki 55 that I used to own. I don't feel that it improved the performance of the skimmer by much either. To quiet down the air intake you could build a muffler out of tube and PVC plumbing. I draw the air for mine through a tube that runs through the exterior wall of our house. This silences the intake but the real reason I do it is to help boost the pH in the tank.

Doug
10-20-2012, 01:40 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28874&highlight=air+silencers

I actually built the pill bottle one mentioned here. Worked like a charm. There was a pic somewhere but still looking