PDA

View Full Version : Web Site?

Nemain
04-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Is there any interest in making an Edmonton Reefers web site? I have limited HTML, swish, java .. but I can put one up if the interest is there.

I just think a Web page is a great way to let other people in the Edmonton area know there are other reef geeks out there =)

Discuss =)

Beth

mr_alberta
04-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Hey that would be cool. I know limited HTML, java, javascript, etc too. I would gladly volunteer my time to help out.

Beverly
04-21-2004, 03:44 PM
Sounds like a good idea :cool:

What kind of content do we want at the site?

I'm thinking perhaps:

- a page for each participating member with details and pics of their tanks as well as email links to members and links to members' websites
- a page for reefers who have frags available, which might be a PITA because it would have to be updated regularly

I don't think we should limit it to just Edmonton and immediate area reefers, but to possibly include folks farther afield who don't have a local club and would like to participate with us.

How does that sound? Anything else we need?

Nemain
04-21-2004, 04:07 PM
I definately wouldnt close the web site to *just* edmonton reefers =) Good idea Bev =)

In time a faq would be neet, its just a matter of finding info on the web and getting permission to post it. Most people are glad to share knowledge.

There could certainly be a FOR SALE section, we just need to figure out the best way to do that, I can ask my best friend shes a guru =)

Other related points: What to call *us* do we need a logo... anything else?

Beth

jgoldsney
04-21-2004, 04:30 PM
I think that for frag swapping etc the best thing would be to point to the edmonton section of Canreef as it is easy for anyone to update info

Quinn
04-21-2004, 05:01 PM
I can handle the graphical end if you like, used to be a graphic editor. However I think if we do set up a site, we should link the forum back to here. It will increase Canreef's user base, and I'm far too lazy to visit any more forums.

Someday I'm going to get around to getting those T-shirts set up for the Calgary group. :rolleyes:

Nemain
04-21-2004, 05:42 PM
I certainly dont think we need our own forum, but yes, a link to the canreef forum is certainly a good idea =)

As for creation, its spring break up here, so I am BORED silly. I cuold throw somethign together and then you coudl all critique it and change it, if that works. Course I am all for someone else doing too, what ever you guys would like =)

Beth

Quinn
04-21-2004, 06:19 PM
I see you said something about Swish... please, let's not use Flash. Pet peeve of mine. :neutral:

Nemain
04-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Flash is a pet peeve? WOWSERS! Straight HTML then I suppose?

Anyone else have anything they hate?

Beth

Quinn
04-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Design is about solving problems, and in my opinion, Flash is a poor solution is many cases where it is used. HTML and associated languages along with good old fashioned GIFs and JPEGs are a more intelligent medium in this case, I feel.

Beverly
04-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Go for it Beth :cool:

Call it the Edmonton Reefing Club Online. Definitely link back to Canreef. I'll PM you a quick logo to work with while Quinn gets something better going.

Quinn
04-21-2004, 10:26 PM
Bev if you want to throw something together I can just take what you've got, vectorize it and clean it up. What do we want on our logo?

mr_alberta
04-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Hey,

Make sure you put everything between <blink></blink> commands :mrgreen:

Who is going to host the site?

Quinn
04-21-2004, 10:35 PM
Agreed! And I insist all text is blue on a yellow background with spinning 3D flaming skulls between sections.

Nemain
04-21-2004, 11:26 PM
You dont think the skulls should fade in and out while spinning? Sheesh.

I can host the site.

Beth

Quinn
04-22-2004, 01:19 AM
You have a server? Do you sell space?

mr_alberta
04-22-2004, 01:33 AM
Are we going to register a domain too? Or will it be on someone's personal webspace?

Anyway, whatever happens, I'll be glad to chip in and help where I can.

Beverly
04-22-2004, 02:03 AM
Here's a logo :eek:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/erco-4.jpg

Look okay?

kuatto
04-22-2004, 05:37 AM
Is that the clown goby I bought from you Bev?(the one who decided to go carpet surfing :cry: )

Jim

Beverly
04-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Yes, Jim.

I always thought it was strange that you'd lose the fish in that way. I never seemed inclined to be a jumper when I had it. What other fish were in the tank at the time?

kuatto
04-22-2004, 02:25 PM
All that was in the tank were 2 false clowns,a small yellow tang and a lawnmower blenny.He settled in after a couple of days,eating and sleeping under some mushrooms.I was real upset to find him missing(he was very active)

Jim

Beverly
04-22-2004, 03:28 PM
Jim,

None of those fish would have considered the goby lunch, which would have been my guess as to why it went MIA. Can't imagine a yellow tang going after it, but did you notice anyone chasing it around?

Nemain
04-22-2004, 03:34 PM
We have a server here at work, I developed/hosted and keep maintenance on our web site, and we have plenty of room on it. Another option is that we can use the free web space on either the companies telus account (large amount of room) or my personal shaw account (smaller). The advantage of the shaw accoutn is that anyone could have access to it, the companies info ont he other hand is private and everything would have to go through me.

Let me know which route you would like to go.

As for the Logo, I think the goby is great, but the font and color need to change. Do you mind if I play with it?

Beth

Nemain
04-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Also I was thinking of calling it a community rather than a club - more unofficial.

What do you think?

Beverly
04-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Beth,

Change whatever you want on the logo. I emailed Quinn the pic of the goby, so I think he's working on something too. Go for it :cool:

Bob I
04-22-2004, 04:02 PM
All that was in the tank were 2 false clowns,a small yellow tang and a lawnmower blenny.He settled in after a couple of days,eating and sleeping under some mushrooms.I was real upset to find him missing(he was very active)

Jim

Jim, the Yellow Goby in my experience is not a jumper. I have had one for months in various tanks (one had an open top) I have recently moved him into my 50 right after I removed some diseased fish. He has been in there for a couple of weeks, and is doing fine. Its only company is a Six Line Wrasse, and a one inch Mandarin. They all appear to be impervious to the disease that decimated my Royal Grama, and Bicolor Blenny.
I will say that I have had small fish like that just disappear. They probably died, and became a snack for the scavengers in the tank. :sad:

Nemain
04-22-2004, 04:59 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/nemain/

prelim

Let me know what you want changed before i do other pages =)

Beth

Bob I
04-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Maybe take the extra "E" out of memembers :razz:

Nemain
04-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Ok spell nazi.

Beverly
04-23-2004, 12:44 PM
That logo really doesn't go with the background. Hope Beth or Quinn can come up with something better.

mr_alberta
04-23-2004, 01:32 PM
I find the lime green links hard to read on the blue background. Maybe change the link colors to, say, white?

Nemain
04-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Yeah I already changed those, I just cant upload here from work. Also corrected all the spelling mistakes YOU MISSED ONE BOB!

The colors can be changed to match the logo if necessary.

My main concern is the lay out, any problems? Do you like Buttons better than links etc.

Thanks,

Beth

Beverly
04-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Beth,

Can you do mouse-over buttons? They'd be cool :cool:

Nemain
04-23-2004, 03:18 PM
The links are mouse over, but yes I can do mouse over buttons. I was afraid of making anything to flahsy - pardon the pun :P

I will try to get another trial put up today =)

Beth

Beverly
04-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Oops! Dummy me. Yes, I see the mouse-over now. Looks fine the way it is, imo. No need to do buttons. Get rid of that hideous logo, though.

mr_alberta
04-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Are you going to add a "frags for sale/trade" or "classifieds" area?

Nemain
04-23-2004, 04:17 PM
There are a few problems with that, first of which is updating, second of which is our liability.

Need to check into it more =)

Beth

Quinn
04-23-2004, 06:38 PM
I like the basic layout. I'll work on that logo and we can tweak as needed.

Trevor Robertson
04-23-2004, 08:53 PM
wow looks great, I like the idea of the members photo's idea. I think that you should leave the frags and for sale area alone and link back here, there just removes all the problems of up dating and stuff.

PS if you need any help just let me know, I like to think that I know how to do stuff like this but just don't have much time. Hell my web page of my daughter is not been updated in something like 2 months. (to much Astrowars I guess) :eek:

tkhawaja
04-23-2004, 11:43 PM
This thread took off fast. Looks like there is real interest in having an Edmonton Reefer Community website. I can offer to put up somehting like this Community & Photo Gallery (http://www.mywhitecourt.com/modules.php?name=Photo_Gallery) website. The only reason I mention this is to ease the maintenance issues of the online content. If we use a free php script then we can just create accounts for whoever we want to have access to our "web pages". With the demonstrated script we could even give each member full control over their own "album" to do with as they pleased.

There are tons of freebie scripts available online. The only real reason not to use an automated system would be to get the presentation exactly the way we want it. And with some custom modification of the code we can create a "themed" website to our liking. So, any comments one way or the other?

Quinn
05-16-2004, 02:08 AM
Sorry I've taken so long for my version of the logo. The photo of the goby is a little small. Bev, what are the chances you would want to take another photo of one of your fishes that you think would suit the project. The larger the photo the better.

Beverly
05-16-2004, 02:32 AM
Quinn,

I'll see what I can do over the next few days. Have been supremely busy lately, but will find time shortly. I'll send you a few pics. Will only crop them, but leave them the size the camera takes. They will be BIG :eek: You can then make them any size that suits you. Sound okay?

Quinn
05-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Big is good. Convert them to JPEG if you can, and try to keep the file size down, but don't modify the dimensions.

Beverly
05-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Always jpg files :cool: Don't know how I am going to keep file size down if you want big pics, though.

Any pics here that look good:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/42gal-fish-invert-photos.htm

Or look in the Other Photos section here:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/72gal-fish-softcoral.htm

Let me know if you find something of value, then I won't have to shoot anymore pics.

Quinn
05-16-2004, 10:11 PM
The shots of the clownfish would work if you had a larger version. I might be able to get some of the shots of angels and the butterfly to work as well. Do we have any preferences as to what we use? Maybe we should just use a clam or something, to avoid looking too much like the CRAC logo.

Beverly
05-17-2004, 12:24 AM
Quinn,

No larger versions of any of the pics at the website. I shoot a roll of pics, download them onto my graphics program, crop, size them so they will fit on my webpage, save the modified pic, then erase the camera's memory and start again.

I have no personal preference as to which pic or pics you could use. What do others here think?

Beverly
05-17-2004, 01:25 PM
Quinn,

How about if you post the pics you like and the rest of us could help you choose which one to use?

Beverly
05-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Quinn,

Sorry for the delay in getting pics. It's been a baaaaaad week. Computer's been down because of a virus and Chris has been slowly putting it back together over the last week. Also got the saddest news this week, too :frown: I learned that a dear family member has become so addicted to cocaine, that he's lost his place of residence and is about to lose his job of 28 years if detox and Henwood don't help him :cry: :cry: :cry:

Don't know when I'll get time for pics. My head has been turned upside down over the bad news. Please post some pics that you like and maybe folks will give you their opinions as to which to use.

mr_alberta
06-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Are we still proceeding forward with this or is the plan kaput?

I have too much free time nowadays, so I can take over if the others are too busy.

Quinn
06-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Sorry to hear that Bev, I didn't see your post until now. Pretty terrible stuff if you fall into it. Take your time, I've pretty much dropped the ball on this one as well. Harvey if you want to throw something at the project, feel free.

mr_alberta
06-15-2004, 08:07 PM
Alrighty, I have a prototype webpage up. None of the buttons work, but you get the idea of what it will look like.

Tell me what you think:
http://members.shaw.ca/harvwong/Edmonton%20Reef%20Community/

I haven't done HTML for a while, so no laughing at the code. Also, I had a brain freeze trying to figure out a banner, so if anyone could help me out, that would be great.

mr_alberta
06-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Anyone? No one?

Beverly
06-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Like the buttons VERY much :cool:

The calendar is great :cool:

For the logo and masthead, could you see if you have any other fish pics and try them? Would like to see the "Edmonton & Area Reef Community" either centred in the space with fish pics on far left and far right sides, or else a larger and longer fish pic on the left and the "Edmonton & Area Reef Community" more to the right. You can scrounge pics from my website if you find anything you like: http://www.lostmymarblz.com/pastaquaria.htm

Would like to see everything centred on the page instead of to the left.

"News & Updates" should be all one colour and font.

The bar below "News & Updates" should be the same colour as the background and would look better flush left.

Other than those quibbly details, it's a fine effort :smile:

mr_alberta
06-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks Bev!

Anyone else want to knit pick? :biggrin:

mr_alberta
06-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Oh, forgot to ask, which font do you prefer on the "News & Updates." The thicker font or the thin font? Also, what color would you like to see it?

Beverly
06-16-2004, 03:55 PM
I'd like to see "News & Updates" the colour of "News" but in the font of "Updates".

mr_alberta
06-17-2004, 11:02 PM
Ok, I've made a few changes to the site. Please tell me what you think. Also, I really think we need a new banner/logo. I'm just not liking what I am seeing up there bannerwise. So, if anyone would like to help design a logo/banner with me, please let me know.

If no one has any major objections to the web page, I will go ahead and finish off the rest. I'm still fiddling around with some of the scripts I plan to use, so what you see now is not 100% finished (i.e. the community events aren't up yet).

Beverly
06-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Like the green colour of brain in the banner and the green colour in the body of the page, but the background colour doesn't quite compliment the green. Background colour of the banner looks good with the mouse-over buttons, though. Or maybe it's the bright blue of "News & Updates" that doesn't fit with the colour scheme and the green brain and background are good. Maybe if you used a dark green/blue from the buttons for the "News & Updates" and "Edmonton & Area Reef Community", the colours would be better. Confusing, huh?

Also, I think the banner is a little too tall. Oh, bad me.....

Beth started the project. I wonder what she has to say. IMO, keep going, man :cool:

mr_alberta
06-18-2004, 12:16 AM
Hi Bev,

Thanks for the input. I think I'll have to reread your post another couple of times to get what you're saying :lol:

Where is that Beth?? :question:

Keep the comments coming!

Nemain
06-18-2004, 02:34 PM
The title should be moved up a little, it is too low in the page.

I like the buttons, but contrasting with tthe background of the title area it looks far to dark, it is a lot for the eyes to adjust to. You can just lighten up the picture you have used a bit =)

Love the calendar, but it looks drab in comparison, a nice blue would spice it up, but still keep it low key.

Need a larger space between the NEWS and the & and the Updates, it looks smooshy.

We are Canadian, gosh darnit, lets put a maple leaf on there some where! I am feeling all patriotic today :P

I would increase the size of the news font. make sure that it is at least a 1.2 space. Preferable 1.5. it will make it much easier to read when we actually have something to say =)

You did an awesome job, put me to shame!!!!

The question is now, do we want to leave it on free web space, or put it up somewhere that more than one of us can access/update?

Beth

mr_alberta
06-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Hi Beth!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm out and about today, so I won't get a chance to work on it much, if at all, so don't look for updates until the weekend or next week :eek:

Quinn
08-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Are we still interested in this? I am aware I was to create a logo which I have not done, however I'm wondering how much support these is for this project and whether it is in fact worthwhile at this point in time. The effort, minimal as it is, may not be justified in the face of the amount of use of the site we can probably expect. What purpose would this website in fact serve?

mr_alberta
08-10-2004, 12:24 AM
I hear you Quinn. At this point in time, I really don't think that we need a separate website just for the Edmonton Reefers as everyone who is online will probably check CanReef more than the ERC webpage.

Oh well. At least it let me practice my coding :lol: