PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted for tank move and new build

SteveConn
10-18-2012, 12:07 AM
I'll be moving into a house in a months time. No more restrictions of living in a condo! The tank will go into the basement at the new home.

I currently have an awesome 75g eurobraced tank built by Concept. For the transition to the new place I am looking for either a large, cheap tank to hold the rock and coral for up to a few weeks before settling in the display tank OR:
Large plastic tank that can hold about the same volume but preferably 2' or more wide (I'm looking for surface area more than depth so I dont have to stack my existing rock too much)

Once I get settled in to the new place, I want to start upgrading to a larger tank. I am already maxed out for space for corals after being in the hobby for 1.5 yrs and I am interested in fish that need more swimming room such as larger tangs.

Is 6 ft long by 2ft wide large enough or should I go for 7ft?
I'd prefer not having a depth greater than 2 ft to allow for easy tank maintenance and placement of corals.
I am also wanting to add a frag tank.. thinking 3' long x 2' wide x 14" deep. Not sure if it should all be plumbed together.
Also debating if all the plumbing and sump should be behind a wall.

Very open to feedback from the forum. Thanks!

gregzz4
10-18-2012, 02:20 AM
As far as swimming room goes, the longer the better
You mentioned 6' and 7'
First thing that comes to mind is trying to find a ready to use light fixture for a 7' tank
If I was in your shoes and had the room, I'd go 8' and use 4' fixtures, or stick with a 6 footer
Unless you're planning on using LED pendants, then just go big :smile:

Having all the equipment in another room is so nice for noise and access

SteveConn
10-18-2012, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the reply

I am using 2 radions plus a kit in my sump from Modular LED

The Grizz
10-18-2012, 02:55 AM
If you are thinking of going more then 6' then just go to an 8' x 2' x 2' tank.

naesco
10-18-2012, 02:56 AM
I agree go 8
can only go 7 because that is all that will fit in the elevator

SteveConn
10-18-2012, 03:05 AM
No more elevator to worry about.

The Grizz
10-18-2012, 03:21 AM
I know where there will be an 8' 165 gal for sale soon once the current owner gets all the glass polished out :biggrin:

reefwars
10-18-2012, 03:50 AM
No more elevator to worry about.

dude have concept build you a 96 x 30 x 20h youll be glad that you did:):)

NorthernCoral
10-18-2012, 04:15 AM
8 ft is a pretty long tank, have you considered a 6ft tank that is wide like 30 or 34"? IMO a wider tank looks alot more natural and aethesetically pleasing with its depth.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Someone in Maple Ridge, BC is selling an acrylic 8x2x2 reef-ready with stand for $800 (probably could get it for under $700 though). Looks in good shape in CL ad. Used as a BB fw discus tank so scratches would be minimal I would imagine. :wink:

Just throwing this out there to tempt you with.

SteveConn
10-18-2012, 05:55 PM
I hear the suggestions of wide (30") but using radions, I thought the light spread was 2x2'. Would I now end up with dark areas. Any suggestions on how to avoid this, cuz I wouldnt mind the extra width front to back

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-18-2012, 06:40 PM
I too would love a 30" wide front-to-back tank. My dream tank would probably be 8' long x 28" tall x 30 or 36" wide. Of course I'd need to win a big lottery prize to pay for a house big enough to have something this size inside. Also go broke filling with live rock, live stock & equipment.

reefwars
10-18-2012, 06:43 PM
I hear the suggestions of wide (30") but using radions, I thought the light spread was 2x2'. Would I now end up with dark areas. Any suggestions on how to avoid this, cuz I wouldnt mind the extra width front to back

realistically not many people use the full footprint of their tank, so you wouldnt need a full force 30" spread.

i have a 30 x 30 tank here if you want to see the spread of a single radion??