PDA

View Full Version : Radions

Cal_stir
10-17-2012, 09:07 PM
I have a chance to buy 2 radions with hanging kit and rail kit for $1000., they are @ 4 months old but it looks like the warranty is only good for the original purchaser and I think they were purchased in the US.
Should I take the chance? How reliable are they?
Any input appreciated.
Thanks.

jorjef
10-17-2012, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't, they seem to have more than their share of issues. Asking price is about the same as buying two new AI Sol. with the kit.

subman
10-17-2012, 09:34 PM
The sols aren't even in the same league as the radions. That's a very good deal, they would sell in a heartbeat on Canreef at that price

lockrookie
10-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Pros: your saving money

Cons: recent issues with the fixtures
No warranty if its not transferable

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

reefgirl189
10-17-2012, 09:49 PM
I would. I love my radions but it's a love-hate relationship. They do make me work to keep them happy.

Proteus
10-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Yep Jason's right. One radion is like two sols and then some. Why would warranty be from date purchase. I know that my brother returned one and all they needed was serial#.
I traded my sol in for radion

Cal_stir
10-17-2012, 09:55 PM
This is what the warranty states, to me it says not transferable.

LIMITED WARRANTIES. The Radion is warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use for
period of (1) year from the date of original purchase. The LED bulbs clusters in the Radion are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use for period of (2) years from the date of original purchase. This limited warranty is extended to the original buyer of the Covered Products (the “Buyer”). EcoTech Marine disclaims all warranties, express or implied, to subsequent purchasers or users.

Myka
10-17-2012, 09:55 PM
That's a really good price. It seems the going rate is about $600-650 each used. I think for $1000 I would be ok with no warranty, but that's your own judgement. If you want the warranty you will be paying about $1800 for retail including the rail and taxes. If you do buy them, consider buying the TIR lens kits too.

jorjef
10-17-2012, 10:27 PM
If the price seems too good to be true.........There are a ton of variables, how well do you know the seller?, what type of tank do you have? (fowlr or reef). Why is he selling?, why is he selling so cheap after only four months?... a person could debate forever.

ensquire
10-17-2012, 10:28 PM
If your not going to buy them , you can pass the info on to me and I will buy a couple more for my other tank.
LOL

subman
10-17-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm in line behind Mike!
Lol

Coralgurl
10-17-2012, 10:55 PM
I would. I love my radions but it's a love-hate relationship. They do make me work to keep them happy.

I have this same relationship with mine. The biggest problem I have with them is the lack of information for programming and troubleshooting, their manual leaves a lot to be desired. That said, Ecotech is fabulous to deal with and they know their stuff. I've called twice about a couple of things and they've been extremely helpful.

HTH

Cal_stir
10-17-2012, 10:56 PM
If the price seems too good to be true.........There are a ton of variables, how well do you know the seller?, what type of tank do you have? (fowlr or reef). Why is he selling?, why is he selling so cheap after only four months?... a person could debate forever.

Yah! that's whats got me stuck. I pm'd him about why he is selling, waiting to hear back. I don't know the guy.
I have a LPS dominate 90g no SPS now but am planning a large in wall plywood build (400 to 500 gal) after I get settled in new house and might try some SPS. I was going the DIY way but it's a great deal.

Derek14
10-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Go with the Radions. AI is no comparison for the light spectrum. Like some other said, you need two AI to do one Radion.

The Radion issue is the fans dying from being too expose to humidity. I have no issues with radions that are hanging, but issues with radions in a confined hood. So either you go hoodless, or have a good ventilation in your hood. Once your warranty is over, change your fans with Sunon fans. They make a fan that is dust and humidity proof. For the Sunon fans, I haven't tried them yet. I am talking with them to see if they can match the same type fan that is dust and humidity proof.

sphelps
10-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Radions are 120W, Vegas are around 100W I think. Radions have higher white to blue ratio and Vegas allow the ability to choose how much of the total power you want to sacrifice for colored LEDs. I would conclude the Vega has more valuable power. Plus they'll probably work while the Radions are much more likely to fail. 2 new Vegas run around $1000 plus controller which you may or may not already have.

Also as far as a deal goes I've heard of people being able to purchase new Radions for $650. I'm also sure refurbished with warranty will also become available soon at an even greater discount.

Cal_stir
10-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Got a response from seller, he says they work great but he likes his MH colour better so he is switching back.
Still on the fence.

ensquire
10-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Let me know.
:biggrin:

Got a response from seller, he says they work great but he likes his MH colour better so he is switching back.
Still on the fence.

Myka
10-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Radions are 120W, Vegas are around 100W I think. Radions have higher white to blue ratio and Vegas allow the ability to choose how much of the total power you want to sacrifice for colored LEDs. I would conclude the Vega has more valuable power. Plus they'll probably work while the Radions are much more likely to fail. 2 new Vegas run around $1000 plus controller which you may or may not already have.

Also as far as a deal goes I've heard of people being able to purchase new Radions for $650. I'm also sure refurbished with warranty will also become available soon at an even greater discount.

My understanding also is that Radions use 135 degree optics, and Vegas use 80 degree optics. This means the Vegas can punch through tank depth much better than Radions, but Radions blend better. My recent research points that Radions are the better option for shallower tanks (24" and less) since they blend better, where the Vegas are the better option for tanks deeper than 24" because of their punch and also because the greater depth allows more blending with the narrower optics.

Since the optics are so different from one fixture to the other it is difficult to compare PAR readings without doing some math after you get the numbers.

AI has been talking about making different colored "power pucks" and wider optics, but they haven't released anything yet. Many people have also been complaining about the Vega using cool whites rather than neutral whites.

The Radions seem to be having lots of warranty issues, but everyone had said very good things about the customer service. I imagine that might be a different story if you don't have warranty.

I'm thinking I might wait for the next generation of LEDs to come out before I try them out. I think there are still some kinks to work out (Radions I'm looking at you) and some modifications to make (Vega I'm looking at you).

subman
10-19-2012, 01:13 AM
I currently have 2 Radions on half and 2 Vega's on the other half of my 225. The radions appear to be much brighter and seem to penetrate as well if not better. That being said I am waiting for the wireless controller for it, I was really waiting for the director so I can do adjustments via my phone, iPad ect. but it seems to be a loooong ways away and will require an additional device as well (very disappointing). The other thing that I see is the disco effect is more prevalent on the vegas because of the way they are setup and the lenses. My hope is once I get the controller I can adjust things to perhaps close the gap between the two. I am planning on doing a full review/comparison once the controller arrives (its only a week and a half late lol)

For what it's worth I also have the Sol on my frag section and it is a great light for frags the growth is good but I believe the missing green and red LEDS make a huge difference in the appearance of livestock.

Cal_stir
10-19-2012, 01:20 AM
Thanks for all the reply's, I decided not to buy because of the no warranty issue.
I passed the link on to Ensquire since he was the first to ask.

Cal

Myka
10-19-2012, 01:25 AM
The other thing that I see is the disco effect is more prevalent on the vegas because of the way they are setup and the lenses.

How deep is your tank? I noticed the Vegas to be one of the disco-ey fixtures simply because of the narrow optics. Too busy and unnatural looking for my liking. I really dislike the Sols, the color is really unappealing to me. The Radions I think have a more appealing look.

I wish every brand would make user-switchable optics so each fixture could be adjusted according to the tank they are lighting. Makes sense to me.

subman
10-19-2012, 01:45 AM
How deep is your tank? I noticed the Vegas to be one of the disco-ey fixtures simply because of the narrow optics. Too busy and unnatural looking for my liking. I really dislike the Sols, the color is really unappealing to me. The Radions I think have a more appealing look.

I wish every brand would make user-switchable optics so each fixture could be adjusted according to the tank they are lighting. Makes sense to me.

My tank is 24" deep. I agree about the switchable optics as well so the Vega's puck idea sounds good. I have a pic (not a great one though) on my build thread if you want to see them side by side.
I'm curious to see what I can do once I have the controller.

Mike if you don't buy them pass that link on :wink:

ensquire
10-19-2012, 04:07 AM
PM sent

My tank is 24" deep. I agree about the switchable optics as well so the Vega's puck idea sounds good. I have a pic (not a great one though) on my build thread if you want to see them side by side.
I'm curious to see what I can do once I have the controller.

Mike if you don't buy them pass that link on :wink: