PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read this yet?

Quagmire
04-21-2004, 04:16 AM
Its an article on ca supplements.If you have ,what do you think?
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

Beverly
04-21-2004, 01:51 PM
I'm not a chemist by any stretch of the imagination, but the article sure sounds interesting from a pocketbook perspective.

More thoughts?

jgoldsney
04-21-2004, 02:17 PM
can we get the DOWflake locally?

Beverly
04-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Yes. It can be purchased from Univar Canada under a slightly different name, but is the same product/ Univar is a wholesaler. They do not sell to individuals. Someone with a company would have to order it.

There is an old thread I began on this subject a couple of months back with more details on Univar Canada. Here's the thread:

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8700

Veng68
04-21-2004, 05:46 PM
I may be wrong but it may be the sidedwalk de-icer stuff. I'll have to check the bag though.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

ron101
04-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Im still interested in this as well. In my case, vinegar spiked saturated kalk will not maintain Ca/Alk levels and a Ca reactor is not an option. Consequently I dose both CaCl and baking soda daily to make up the difference.

While I understand all the anti CaCl arguments in the previous thread, I agree with Victor. In a maintenance scenario one would also have to use an alkalinity additive as well, this usually means a sodium bicarbonate based product so Cl levels relative to Na levels will not change nearly as much given the addition of the sodium component.

Sure the ratios are not going to be exact and you won't be getting some of the secondary ions but IMO CaCl products have their place in a maintenance program combined with a sodium based alk additive, kalk, and regular water changes for larger tanks with increased calcium carbonate demand.

If the benefits of balanced two-part additives can be mimicked with RHF's recipe without the prohibitive cost for larger systems, even better.

Beverly
04-21-2004, 09:30 PM
I may be wrong but it may be the sidedwalk de-icer stuff. I'll have to check the bag though.

Vic, you are correct. That's exactly what it is.

Quagmire
04-21-2004, 11:27 PM
If the benefits of balanced two-part additives can be mimicked with RHF's recipe without the prohibitive cost for larger systems, even better.
This is how I see it also,but I'm undecided,should a person go for it or wait 6 month to find out if theres any bugs in the system.