PDA

View Full Version : Instant Cycle - Switching tanks?

Coasting
10-16-2012, 03:42 PM
So I figured this week I would like to finally bring my new tank up to the living room and use it! Its been re-siliconed and looks good, and has now officially passed my leak test.

My current DT is 30ish gallons, new one is 65ish with sump. I really do NOT have the room to keep them both running at the same time. However I can keep the 30 running for a few days beside the 65 while it settles. I also have a canister attached to the 30 that I can transfer over to the 65 so it can share its bacteria (really no media inside it, its more of a pod fuge and some itty bitty bits of rock rubble) My goal is to be able to return it before my dates up on the receipt.

I will be adding more live rock to the system and using most of my current rock. I'm worried about getting a cycle from the new rock. Is there anything I can add that will instant cycle the tank? I have a few different bacteria type supplements. I know I should keep the rock cycling in its bin longer to avoid these questions and issues, but its a matter of space at this point, though if its the only option I guess I will have to.

Only fish in the 30 are a Azure Damsel, Grumpy female clown, and some type of algae eating blenny. My biggest concern is the blenny and not having enough for him to eat in the new tank (though hes super fat so hes probably got a fair reserve to live off...) And all my coral, the anemones, mostly lps, only sps are 3 types of monti.

So its not a far move, I will be using 100% new sand, but some rock from another source ( currently circulating with heater in a large bin in the basement ) I dont want my fish or coral to die. Never transfered tanks before, Help!

Northernseacorals
10-16-2012, 04:34 PM
So I figured this week I would like to finally bring my new tank up to the living room and use it! Its been re-siliconed and looks good, and has now officially passed my leak test.

My current DT is 30ish gallons, new one is 65ish with sump. I really do NOT have the room to keep them both running at the same time. However I can keep the 30 running for a few days beside the 65 while it settles. I also have a canister attached to the 30 that I can transfer over to the 65 so it can share its bacteria (really no media inside it, its more of a pod fuge and some itty bitty bits of rock rubble) My goal is to be able to return it before my dates up on the receipt.

I will be adding more live rock to the system and using most of my current rock. I'm worried about getting a cycle from the new rock. Is there anything I can add that will instant cycle the tank? I have a few different bacteria type supplements. I know I should keep the rock cycling in its bin longer to avoid these questions and issues, but its a matter of space at this point, though if its the only option I guess I will have to.

Only fish in the 30 are a Azure Damsel, Grumpy female clown, and some type of algae eating blenny. My biggest concern is the blenny and not having enough for him to eat in the new tank (though hes super fat so hes probably got a fair reserve to live off...) And all my coral, the anemones, mostly lps, only sps are 3 types of monti.

So its not a far move, I will be using 100% new sand, but some rock from another source ( currently circulating with heater in a large bin in the basement ) I dont want my fish or coral to die. Never transfered tanks before, Help!

If you really want to be safe, I would pick up ProdiBio Startup; I've used the product and cannot say enough good things about it.

Many site sponsors supply it, as well as local fish stores carry it.

Proteus
10-16-2012, 05:20 PM
If you really want to be safe, I would pick up ProdiBio Startup; I've used the product and cannot say enough good things about it.

Many site sponsors supply it, as well as local fish stores carry it.

+1

Starry
10-16-2012, 05:23 PM
+2 works like a dream.

Madreefer
10-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Sounds like a pretty simple tank transfer to me. Only thing that might give you some greif is using 100% new sand. As for the rocks just put in one new rock per week until they're all in there and you should'nt have any cycle nor spikes at all. Theres alot of threads on tank transfers that you can search and all are very informative. Or if you want just put a bunch of chemicals in your tank that are not necessary. Good tip is to not put anything in your tank that you can not test for.

Northernseacorals
10-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Or if you want just put a bunch of chemicals in your tank that are not necessary. Good tip is to not put anything in your tank that you can not test for.

Just going to chime in here to educate the original poster rather than frighten them away with BS dogma.

Prodibio Startup is not synthetically & chemically derived; its comprised two different products in one package that Prodibio markets.

1.) Biodigest consisting of all natural cultures of bacteria in a concentrated suspension.

2.) Stop Ammo Start consisting of all natural plant extracts

http://www.prodibio.com/start-quickly-cycle-tank-aquarium-water-bacteria-biological-filtration

Coasting, this is a completely safe product; don't let old school reefers frighten you away from advanced and safe products.

Ocean Aquatics in your area has this product in store.

Coasting
10-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Well nobody can talk me into using my old sand bed, might use a scoop or 2 to help things along but its deep and its grungy, I over feed so I know theres lots of nastys deep in the sand that I dont want to release.
Plus I still have a few new bags in the basement I bought as extras when I set up the 30....

I dont see the ProdiBio on J&L's site. Ocean Aquatics is a little way past farther then I want to go for anything.... Unless somebody from around the tri-cities is going and would pick some up for me and I can pay them back ;)

I have a bottle of Seachem stability and a full bottle of Instant Ocean Bio-Spira.

tang daddy
10-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Some good advice here from the other posters, I would like to add that your on the right path using new sand versus reusing the old sand and disturbing the anaerobic culture leading to a tank crash. Recently I have tore down a few tanks and started a few new ones up. Even tho they have been bare bottom the tanks shared water and rock from existing systems and all o the newly set up tanks went through a cycle. You will mostdefinately experience an algae outbreak within the 2 week mark of moving tanks.

Don't be scared as this is natural, if I was you I would make sure the new system is fully operational and running with no leaks in the lines, sumps and plumbing. Run it with fresh first and when satisfied that it's safe for the move drain it and prepare to fill.

The obvious first step would be to rinse the new sand and have it in the tank before the move, you could use the freshwater fill and test to your advantage to save time and hassle.

The next step while the 65g is empty with new sand is to scape the rock work from existing set up and also the recently purchased rock in the bin. Putting all the rock in at the same time to me makes the most sense and would be the way I would do it.

Then the last step would be transferring the livestock and water into the new set 65g.

I would make sure to have a garbage can with new SW prepped aswell so that you can dilute and mix with the old tank water, essentially like doing a water change but instead of replacing...adding new water. Take your time to fill the system adding 5-10g every other day and slowly your system will be filled and running.

I hope what I wrote made sense as I was just balling the thoughts out, you never mentioned a skimmer in your new set up. Hope you have one!

Coasting
10-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Yes theres a skimmer!

The tanks actually sitting in the basement right now filled with Fresh water, I wanted to make sure my Silicone job was 100% before bringing the tank upstairs.

I was actually hoping to do what I did with the 30 and add my sand, add my water, then add salt and mix it in the tank itself. I dont have the space to house garbage bins full of salt water. Leave enough room for the rock of coarse, scape it, then leave the tank for a few days to settle then transfer everyone over.

I dont intend to add any new fish for bit, But I want to make sure these 3 make it through as well as all my coral and anemones. I know the clown and damsel are tough, they will both actually end up in my nano tank, but food supply for the blenny concerns me.

In my mind this is like setting up an initial tank so I do worry about the cycle and how you're supposed to wait then add your CUC then Wait then fish/coral.

I dont mind algae, its not like I dont have lots allready...

I was hoping some type of bacteria supplement would help things along and keep everyone safe.

What do you guys think of..
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/zv-start250/ZEOvit+ZEOstart+3+-+250ml.html
Or can you point out any other starter bacteria supplements J&L Has you would recoment, or will my Bio_spira/stability be okay?

tim_s
10-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Do I understand that you would like to migrate the contents of one tank into another including live stock immediately?

I.e. you do not have time to complete a full / mini cycle?

Madreefer
10-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Sorry for posting in your thread. Disregard what I said. This old school reefer will just sit back and use the buy/sell threads rather than share actual experience. Good luck with your tank.

Proteus
10-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Sorry for posting in your thread. Disregard what I said. This old school reefer will just sit back and use the buy/sell threads rather than share actual experience. Good luck with your tank.

:hug:

Aquattro
10-16-2012, 09:18 PM

Guess I'm old school too, I agree with you.

Proteus
10-16-2012, 09:25 PM
When I transfered to new tank I used 50% new water and 50% old. The rock was transfered and i did use a little bit of sand but it was cleaned. once the water was at temp livestock went in. Coral and fish. Old tank was shutdown right after
Very simple

Coasting
10-16-2012, 09:34 PM
I DO NOT have the room to have 2 tanks running at once until I sell my cichlid tank which wont happen any time soon.

I can no longer keep the "giant swimming pool" in the middle of the basement. I then added a large bin with rocks beside the "giant swimming pool" which is beyond in the way of any space we did have left to walk in that room.

This new tank will be going in exactly the same spot as the old tank, I can move the old tank temporarily beside the new tank but that will displace where the couch and side tables currently are (moving them to the middle of the living room), any longer then a week out of place and I think I will be kicked out of here.

My sand bed is Dirty Dirty Dirty! I know if I disturb it, it will let up all sorts of nastys and I would rather not kill everything.

If I wasn't using new rock, I dont think I would care about any of this. But I know regardless of how "cured" the rock you buy is, theres going to be die off which will create a cycle. That is what my concern is.

Proteus
10-16-2012, 09:38 PM
So take all your water and rock put it in a Rubbermaid kick old tank out door and put new tank in place. Fill with old water and rock that sat in said water. If lots rock add slowly. Watch your parameters nothing a wc can't help. Start up of some kind works great

Coasting
10-16-2012, 10:02 PM
As much as I would rather do this properly and wait like when I set the 30 up, it just cant happen that way. I do still want to live here.

I would like some type of bacteria supplement that will help keep things safer for the fish/coral. I've read numerous threads on transfering tanks, but I still wanted to ask.

Is there anything J&L has you guys would recommend? Going to Ocean Aquatics or Oceanic Corals isn't going to happen.

Borderjumper
10-16-2012, 10:34 PM
I always add microbacter7 to my new tanks.. Don't know for sure it helps or not, but I've never had a problem starting new tanks.

tim_s
10-17-2012, 12:24 AM
As much as I would rather do this properly and wait like when I set the 30 up, it just cant happen that way. I do still want to live here.

Do it! It is leaving it to chance - people move all the time without pre-cycling a new tank. You may or not have loss. People are just mentioning that you have two tanks and thus you could have a far better situation but if you can't - you can only do what is possible.

Nano
10-17-2012, 01:19 AM
I just moved my tank 2 months ago, and used maybe 25% old water and the rest new. The only thing I added (frankly I probably could have got away with out it) was bacter boost. Basically like microbacter7 but a different brand. No problems other then and sps rtn on me. No big loss.
If the rock has been in the tank long enough with regular water changes it should be cured anyway, so you really shouldn't see much if any cycle. I didn't even see Diatoms or any spikes after moving mine.