PDA

View Full Version : Lf: alternate to hermit crabs

Mike-fish
10-15-2012, 05:47 AM
Ok so I'm rather fed up with hermit crabs crawling all over my expensive corals and harming them so I'm planing on removing them all, but in order to do so i need an alternate creature to do their job. So what are the alternate creatures to them.

soapy
10-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Emerald mithrax crab?

RESONANCE
10-15-2012, 06:56 AM
My tank's been crab free for a few years now. For scavenging left over fish food, mini brittle stars are great! So are bristle worms and fire worms - which you already probably have. The mini brittle stars just look a lot nicer lol. For general algae control I would recommend black foot trochus snails. They can up right themselves if and when they fall on their shells.

Mike-fish
10-15-2012, 06:56 AM
I thought emerald crabs only eat algae. Plus they still have the pointy feet that irratate Lps corals. I was thinking was several shrimps of some kind.

jorjef
10-15-2012, 12:15 PM
I thought emerald crabs only eat algae. Plus they still have the pointy feet that irratate Lps corals. I was thinking was several shrimps of some kind.

That's like going from the frying pan into the fire.They will tromp all over everything too, won't leave any damage for the most part but will rob any LPS you are target feeding. I have no crabs or shrimp and only about five snails just feed less and you won't have a problem. As far as brittle stars go I have a Brown Banded that won't eat meaty products but the red/pink one I had worked really well.

ALL crabs are evil...

Mike-fish
10-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Will the stars harm my corals?

jorjef
10-15-2012, 08:48 PM
I've never had a problem, they move very gingerly and seem to avoid corals once they touch them.

Northernseacorals
10-15-2012, 08:59 PM
If you are really tired of the hermits I would say the worm population in your tank will increase as the hermits will not be getting the lions share of the food ( i.e. you are going to remove them )

I would just leave it alone and let the worm population automatically increase; I think they are fantastic for cleanup crew.

jorjef
10-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Unless you have a Wrasse that likes tasty worms... Mine seems to have the population down to near extinction, Every time I move a coral or rock and it disturbs the sand he's over there like a dirty shirt sniffing around.

Mike-fish
10-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Well the eviction notice is being served. Thanks

jorjef
10-16-2012, 02:11 AM
Another success story to the long and slow task of eradication of crabs in aquariums..Oh happy day:biggrin:

p.s ALL crabs are evil!!