PDA

View Full Version : Reef safe spray paint

Reef Tank Engineer
10-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Im making overflow boxes out of clear acyrlic and want to paint them black does anyone know any reef safe paint to use

daniella3d
10-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Krylon fusion is safe once fully dry, fully fully dry.

Also I would only paint the exterior of it so as little as possible. you need to put several layers and let it fully dry in between or it might flick away if it is too thin. It must be very dry between coat. I did my overflow as well but only the piping that goes into the sump since my overflow box was alredy black.

Some other experiences from people. Keep reading the thread...many people use it inside the tank without problem, some for 10 years.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/krylon-spray-paint-on-in-tank-parts-138465.html

sphelps
10-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Black acrylic would make a LOT more sense but as stated Krylon is safe and works well for plastic. As for sides, paint the inside not the outside of the overflows.

daplatapus
10-14-2012, 03:09 PM
make sure you read the instructions on the can for Krylon Fusion. I believe any 2nd or 3rd coats must be done the same day or else you are supposed to wait a week. The curing process after 24hrs will screw up the top coats if you put them on after.
I tried 3rd coating next day and it started wrinkling on me, just an FYI

FitoPharmer
10-14-2012, 06:13 PM
I found when I painted my spray bar with krylon fusion there was one type of algae seemed to peel the paint right off when algae grew over the paint. It made it look really ugly within 3 months. It was reef safe thought.

Stones
10-15-2012, 01:23 AM
I had used black krylon fusion spray paint on my return pump outlets in my old 90 gallon tank. Worked great except the turbo snails seemed to develop an acquired taste for the paint and eventually peeled it all off of the PVC.

daniella3d
10-15-2012, 03:19 AM
Opps yes that,s what I ment, inside, sorry.

That way it is easier to clean without damaging it since you are cleaning or scraping the side that does not have paint.

Black acrylic would make a LOT more sense but as stated Krylon is safe and works well for plastic. As for sides, paint the inside not the outside of the overflows.

sphelps
10-15-2012, 03:39 AM
For those painting PVC a good tip is to coat the pipe with purple PVC primer first. That way if paint is removed some how you'll end up with purple patches rather than white which will blend into a mature tank much better.