PDA

View Full Version : These fans good or bad?

Jaws
04-20-2004, 07:46 PM
I just got a couple of these fans given to me from my work for free to see if they'd work for my canopy. They're AC fans not DC and i'm not sure if they push enough air, but I have nothing to compare it to. They're called Whisper 50/60Hz 7W fans and they're extremely quiet. Is there an advantage having DC fans over AC fans? Are these fans pretty standard or are there others out there that would be way better? Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/507/970Fans-med.JPG?1180

Delphinus
04-20-2004, 08:31 PM
Any idea what the cfm (cubic feet per minute) rating is?

If they're free, I'd just use them, and see how they work out for you.

Aquattro
04-20-2004, 08:35 PM
What Tony said...

Jaws
04-20-2004, 09:24 PM
Any idea what the cfm (cubic feet per minute) rating is?

If they're free, I'd just use them, and see how they work out for you.

It doesn't say the CFM anywhere on them. Is there any advantage going with AC fans instead of DC fans?

Delphinus
04-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Sure, you don't need a 12 VDC power supply for the AC ones. :biggrin: Just some wire and a plug and you're set.

Over one tank I have DC fans (Icecaps). Over the other tank I have AC fans. The AC fans are Orion's, and are in fact, quieter than the DC fans. Other than that I don't really see any difference. The only thing I can think of, the DC fans can be regulated so that they have different speed settings. I.e., if you apply 9V to a 12V fan it will run 3/4 as fast. Useful if you want a variable speed (i.e., bump up the setting on a particularly hot day). I think you can do the same thing with an AC fan if you use a rheostat (but don't quote me on that as I have no idea what that actually means. I think a rheostat is something that looks like a light dimmer switch ... but I don't know if it's more complicated or not.)

Jaws
04-20-2004, 09:52 PM
I wish there was some way of finding out the CFM so I wouldn't have to screw around. I put my hand up to them and they don't feel that strong, but like I say, I have nothing to compare to. Do your fan's usually push a lot of air or are they moderately soft.