PDA

View Full Version : A busy afternoon!

mrhasan
10-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Alright so suddenly, at the afternoon, I noticed that one of the zoa frag's rock (small) got 3 AEPTASIA!!!! I was like OMG. I took it out at once, and dipped the bottom of the rock in lemon juice leaving the top (with zoa) unexposed to the juice. The I washed the bottom with boiled water, then zapped it with a lighter and then washed it in saltwater before putting into the tank. I hope those buggers don't come back :@

Some sort of worms also came out during this treatment:

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s522/mrhasan1/20121013_170733_zpsd85074d0.jpg

Does anyone got any ID for this?

Alongside, I also notice tiny tiny hydroids on my tank's glass that looks like these:

http://cdn.saltwaterfish.com/3/38/38815b3c_70677hydroid.jpeg

What should I do???? :sad:

reefwars
10-13-2012, 11:17 PM
amphipods and hydroids.

mrhasan
10-13-2012, 11:20 PM
amphipods and hydroids.

Anything to worry about?

reefwars
10-13-2012, 11:21 PM
global waring seems to be a hot topic these days, but we have nothing to fear but fear itself;)

mrhasan
10-13-2012, 11:24 PM
global waring seems to be a hot topic these days, but we have nothing to fear but fear itself;)

Narration please :redface:

reefwars
10-13-2012, 11:27 PM
i think i saw the one on the left give me the stink eye so ill say all are bad....

mrhasan
10-13-2012, 11:29 PM
i think i saw the one on the left give me the stink eye so ill say all are bad....

Ok I am getting worried now :|

reefwars
10-13-2012, 11:32 PM
here is a list of things you can do to rid your self of these pests:

napalm
mail it to the north pole
spontanious combustion
magic??
black magic??
throw it as far as you can
step on it
freeze it
leave it on your door step
turn your heater on max
turn your heater off altogether and place your tank outside
fill your tank with both of them so the first 2 rnt so noticable??

since im sure you googled all the info you really need these are the things you may not find on google and prob not the answers your looking for but....it will work;)

mrhasan
10-13-2012, 11:46 PM
here is a list of things you can do to rid your self of these pests:

napalm
mail it to the north pole
spontanious combustion
magic??
black magic??
throw it as far as you can
step on it
freeze it
leave it on your door step
turn your heater on max
turn your heater off altogether and place your tank outside
fill your tank with both of them so the first 2 rnt so noticable??

since im sure you googled all the info you really need these are the things you may not find on google and prob not the answers your looking for but....it will work;)

I think Napalm would be the best option for me. Easily available through ebay and can be handy in many different aspects :P

reefwars
10-13-2012, 11:49 PM
I think Napalm would be the best option for me. Easily available through ebay and can be handy in many different aspects :P

option for what??

mrhasan
10-13-2012, 11:50 PM
To ride of these pests! Like you have suggested :wink:

reefwars
10-14-2012, 12:07 AM
To ride of these pests! Like you have suggested :wink:

i never suggest for anyone to ride pests...seems difficult lol

mrhasan
10-14-2012, 12:08 AM
i never suggest for anyone to ride pests...seems difficult lol

Ops sorry. Typo :redface:

reefwars
10-14-2012, 12:08 AM
just cut back on your feedings, or get a fish that eats pods.

amphipods arnt horribly bad but they are not reef safe, and hydroids are tough to get rid of.

you can try peppermint shrip to get rid of both;)

ScubaSteve
10-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Denny, you crack me up :razz:

Hassan, you've got nothin' to worry about. Nothin' unfriendly there.

reefwars
10-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Denny, you crack me up :razz:

Hassan, you've got nothin' to worry about. Nothin' unfriendly there.

haha i try lol

yeah exactly its not the end of the world, if you cut back your feedings and nutrients the hydroids will dissapear, you can pluck them out with tweasers strand by strand.

if you have fish in your tank amphipods will hide all the time untill dark;)

mrhasan
10-14-2012, 12:46 AM
Phew that's a relief. Yah I will cut back my feeding to one time a day. Nutrients remain below 5ppm while I do WC.

And about fish, my tank is currently at war. Purple dottyback vs wrasse. So yah the pods got reasons to hide :P

And yah Denny do try to keep my threads lively. They tends to be boring without some jokes :mrgreen:

Nano
10-14-2012, 01:13 AM
I had hydroids too when first setting up the tank, they went away after a month or so

iceman86
10-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Lmao!! Denny you definetly add a special touch to this board!:biggrin:

daniella3d
10-14-2012, 03:38 AM
Those amphipods will eat zoanthids if they are out of food. I bought my copperband butterfly to eat them because they were eating my zoanthids. It worked and I can rarely see them now, with the copperband active all night while the amphipods are out.

I kill those amphipods as much as I can. They don't serve any purpose in the aquarium. They only come out at night when most all fish are asleep, so they are not even fish food. Wrasses can't eat them because they sleep at night.

Anything to worry about?

mrhasan
10-14-2012, 03:44 AM
Those amphipods will eat zoanthids if they are out of food. I bought my copperband butterfly to eat them because they were eating my zoanthids. It worked and I can rarely see them now, with the copperband active all night while the amphipods are out.

I kill those amphipods as much as I can. They don't serve any purpose in the aquarium. They only come out at night when most all fish are asleep, so they are not even fish food. Wrasses can't eat them because they sleep at night.

I have taken out three. I am not sure whether or not there's more. I generally check the rocks the frags come in (also dip them) before they go into my tank. One particular rock has a rough bottom and I suddenly noticed today that aptasias were there. So I quickly brought the piece out and did a lemon juice dip and the three pods came out and died. I hope there's no more :| Alongside, I don't have the provision of keeping copperband since my tank, as you may know, is 20 gallon only.

Aquattro
10-14-2012, 03:46 AM
I try to grow the pods, the more the merrier. I pick them out of my filter sock and place them back in the tank where the fish can't get them -lol

mrhasan
10-14-2012, 04:02 AM
I try to grow the pods, the more the merrier. I pick them out of my filter sock and place them back in the tank where the fish can't get them -lol

Even amphipods?

Aquattro
10-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Even amphipods?

Yup, not a thing wrong with them IMO. I don't have zoos, so can't say what they do there, but in my tank, I think they're cool.

mrhasan
10-14-2012, 04:27 AM
Yup, not a thing wrong with them IMO. I don't have zoos, so can't say what they do there, but in my tank, I think they're cool.

Did some googling and found some people claims they do eat zoas while other said they never had problem. Confusing -_-

Aquattro
10-14-2012, 04:28 AM
Did some googling and found some people claims they do eat zoas while other said they never had problem. Confusing -_-

For every question you ask, half the people will disagree with the other half. :)
I figure they came in on the rock, they belong on the rock and are part of the reef. The young are great mandarin food too :)

mrhasan
10-14-2012, 04:29 AM
For every question you ask, half the people will disagree with the other half. :)
I figure they came in on the rock, they belong on the rock and are part of the reef. The young are great mandarin food too :)

Yah such a debatable hobby :S