PDA

View Full Version : Good Return pump brand?

ZOOCRAZY
10-13-2012, 02:51 PM
What have people found are good return
Pumps?

cyberdude47
10-13-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm using reeflo's been good for me

mseepman
10-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Reeflo is is very good. Water blaster if internal rather than external

mr.wilson
10-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Reeflo is is very good. Water blaster if internal rather than external

Don't forget the RLSS DC pumps :)

whatcaneyedo
10-14-2012, 06:46 AM
How much flow do you need?

Myka
10-14-2012, 01:37 PM
What size tank and sump?

sunoka
10-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Mag is good as well

ZOOCRAZY
10-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Forty gallon haven't decided on sump yet.

Nano
10-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Don't get Rio pumps, they do the job well enough but are pretty noisy. I have 2" of foam under mine to dampen the sound

The Grizz
10-14-2012, 07:26 PM
+1 in the Waveline DC pumps, there are super quite and well built. I have 3 -10000 & 1 - 5000 so far & going to pick up at least another 5000 maybe 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daplatapus
10-14-2012, 08:58 PM
+1 in the Waveline DC pumps, there are super quite and well built. I have 3 -10000 & 1 - 5000 so far & going to pick up at least another 5000 maybe 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were you able to get that thread issue figured out? I remember reading somewhere you were having a bit of trouble matching threads and someone else had a bit of leaking. Just wondering if they're non-standard threads...

The Grizz
10-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Were you able to get that thread issue figured out? I remember reading somewhere you were having a bit of trouble matching threads and someone else had a bit of leaking. Just wondering if they're non-standard threads...

Yes I did manage to get a std fitting threaded on the the pump after about an hr of tread chasing with a file. I think it is a standard thread but it has no actual start thread on it, if you know what I mean. Got the fitting on with some teflon tape and no leaks :biggrin:

tim_s
10-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Hi,

I see people throwing decent suggestions such-as the blaster range which is amazing! IF you have the money and like the brand go for it.

In the past I have always us Ehiem but I have recently started to switch over to Danner Mag Drives (Supreme).

I have never had a bad experience with either - I just prefer the price and the feature set is same.

Good luck!

sphelps
10-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Yes I did manage to get a std fitting threaded on the the pump after about an hr of tread chasing with a file. I think it is a standard thread but it has no actual start thread on it, if you know what I mean. Got the fitting on with some teflon tape and no leaks :biggrin:

I just used a heat gun to heat a threaded PVC fitting up a little then screwed it on like butter.

I'd also recommend the DC waveline 5000 but can't recommend them external as both my wavelines leak slightly from the housing.

tim_s
10-15-2012, 08:23 PM
I just used a heat gun to heat a threaded PVC fitting up a little then screwed it on like butter.

I'd also recommend the DC waveline 5000 but can't recommend them external as both my wavelines leak slightly from the housing.

Might not be great for submerged either!

Having to replace a plumbed in pump for a new brand may require plumbing adjustments which if anything could be a very annoying experience - especially when you have time against you I.e. live stock that has a dependance on the system running.

I would maybe investigate whether a replacement is an option.

mseepman
10-15-2012, 09:17 PM
I should have mentioned that I'm a fan of the wavelines as well!

sphelps
10-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Might not be great for submerged either!

Having to replace a plumbed in pump for a new brand may require plumbing adjustments which if anything could be a very annoying experience - especially when you have time against you I.e. live stock that has a dependance on the system running.

I would maybe investigate whether a replacement is an option.

The part that's leaking is where the impeller housing mates with the motor housing, probably just a oring or something that's not provided a great seal. It's pretty minor, just a slight build up of salt creep over a day or so but enough to prevent me from running them external. I didn't investigate, just installed them internal which worked out better for me anyway. The pumps work fine and don't require replacement. This is a typical issue with many pumps.