PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing issue

SpateD
10-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Okay, so I have built a breeding system, 2 40g's, one ontop of the other. They both have a stockman standpipe, I did drill a hole, and put a piece of airline tubing in it, but nothing else..

My first tank, drops straight down, and 45's off into the tank below. The second tank, 90's down into the sump.

Whats happening on both of these, is massive surges of bubbles are spitting out the bottom of the drain pipes which is causing a lot of airation on the surface of my sump and second tank. Which is also causing a ton of salt creep and evaporation.

I took a video.. hopefully someone has some ideas.

http://s57.beta.photobucket.com/user/Xander_2006/media/IMG_1891_zps2b7da3b3.mp4.html

subman
10-12-2012, 08:22 PM
can you post a pic of the other end of the plumbing?

SpateD
10-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Sure, it's just a basic stockman standpipe.

I'm going to purchase valves today, but I already tried to limit the air intake and it didn't change anything, it actually made more of a gurgling sound when I completely stopped the airflow.

biggerstretch
10-12-2012, 09:24 PM
If you give up fighting with it you could build a bubble trap........

Feed the drain into an old skimmer , kind of a bubble trap.

Invert a canister over the drain line ( 2L pop bottle ) have an air vent on top... bubbles go up , pop , air goes out ..

experiment with it ...

SpateD
10-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Basically there is no flow without these drain lines.. So I'm hoping to not obstruct the flow. I was thinking if popping off the 90's and putting basically a flat piece of something in it so it does slow the flow somewhat, but its causing bubbles before exiting and then it may reduce even more bubbles coming out... (Like the nets the city place along the roads that go downhill to slow the water flow).

HaZRaTTy
10-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Hmm Its most likely just from the falling of water from your top system. I would possibly try putting some sort of screen on the end but with that you will have micro bubbles out the ying

SpateD
10-13-2012, 01:11 AM
I was also thinking a screen/mesh or something just to cause a ''break'' in the flow. But then I thought it may just flow overtop of the break or mesh, and continue.

Royal Aquariums
10-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Try putting a T fitting on the end that goes into the sump

gregzz4
10-13-2012, 01:31 AM
Maybe you could try open-topped standpipes, and use a gate valve to adjust the height above the pipe

My chaeto tank has this and, with the water about 1" above the pipe, it's silent and no bubbles. If I lower the level below 1" it will suck air
And, of course, the drain is under water in the sump

The valve doesn't noticeably slow down any flow - it only adjusts the height

The pipe on the right is an emerg overflow

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/DSC01565.jpg
http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/DSC01564.jpg

AquaticFinatic
10-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Just what I was about to say Greg. You should put a ball valve in and throttle it back so the pipe fills with water as I think there is not enough water going through the pipe. This is then get swooshed around in the tube creating he air bubbles. It might work Dustin. Try them without glueing first to see if it works. :biggrin:

reefwars
10-13-2012, 04:17 AM
i put small valves on my airline tubing to adjust how much air goes in , works every time, so instead of restricting the drain itself to make it quiet which is a bad idea if you dont have an emergency you restrict the air , the less air the faster it drains your overflow box(put your finger and block your durso it drains the b ox fast untill air starts to get taken in and make horrible noises) the more air you allow in the slower you make the drain.

reefwars
10-13-2012, 04:18 AM
also if you change your stockan to a durso much less air problems too.

SpateD
10-13-2012, 07:15 PM
So I picked up 4 valves to control the air intake from the overflow, and it did help a little. Bit I'm still getting a lot of bubbles.

Any other suggestions for the tank to tank, I'm going to try the T on my sump drains.