PDA

View Full Version : chiller needed

fresh
04-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Hi all,

I have a problem where my tank sits in a room that gets super hot in the summer. Do you have any ideas on how to combat the heat problem?

I don't mind buying a chiller, however, I really don't want to spend all that much. So if you have a chiller that does not cost an arm and a leg, please let me know :)

thanks in advance

Fresh.

p.s. it is a 77 gal tank.

Aquattro
04-20-2004, 05:58 PM
"I don't mind buying a chiller, however" "I really don't want to spend all that much."

Sorry, those 2 phrases don't go together. But no harm in asking! :razz:

Beverly
04-20-2004, 06:17 PM
A chiller will add more heat to the already hot room. I would suggest an air conditioner for the room instead.

Jedi68
04-20-2004, 07:06 PM
I went with the portable air conditioner route in combating hot summer days in my family/fish room. I paid $600 for a Danby 8300btu unit from Costco. I also used it in the winter as a dehumidifier for the room. It isn't as effective as a chiller but this way, I can keep my wife, kids, and reef happy.

richard

zulu_principle
04-21-2004, 03:38 AM
Air Conditioner or Chiller.....

Both will perform the same function but one is far more efficient in the cooling of the tank water.

Its also one of the purchases in your reef system that will not depreciate as much as the others.

But that investment can save you from the loss of ALL of your tank inhabitants................, whats that worth.

They are extremely difficult to find used, but Aaron sometimes has them kicking around, not pretty but functional and fully serviced before your purchase.

JMHO

Wendell

UMI is a local company to Vancouver and supplies some of the largest aquariums in the world.

golden69_ca
04-21-2004, 05:26 AM
hugs back wendell :biggrin:
i have a couple used ones that should be ready soon if you whant some info pm me .