PDA

View Full Version : Greened out sps

Proteus
10-11-2012, 01:52 PM
I have a red convexa. That's bright green. Good polyp extension. But little growth. Can't understand why it's greened out.
Also have others that are showing green growth tips. Ie. purple poison shortcake and purple stag.

Any ideas why.

I use ro/dI.
Cal,alk,mag are stable with no big swings
Po4-0
No3-undtectable
Salinity- 1.026
Temp-76

Radions at 18000k at 45%. Going up 5% every 2 weeks

sphelps
10-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Typically results from low light or high nutrients so probably needs more light in your case. Also iron plays a role but typically more related to green colors being washed out.

fencer
10-11-2012, 02:13 PM
+1 on the iron...you didn't mention what additives you used

sphelps
10-11-2012, 02:27 PM
The only way it could be iron is if you're dosing it. Typically green sps loose color due to low iron from refugium export, it's rare to see the opposite.

Proteus
10-11-2012, 02:41 PM
The only thing I dose is fluval 3ions. Which is cal-mg-strontium
weekly WC.
No fuge as I can't grow cheato. So fuge is filled with LR
actual green sps. Are nice and bright

I thought low light. Also Harvey suggested it but was looking for other opinions also. I'll slowly move it up and see what happens. It's in about 14" deep

Also use prodibio

Aquattro
10-11-2012, 02:50 PM
I have a large red convexa lying on my sand, and it's keeping it's red. My lights are 85/100/100 though, so my vote is also not enough light..

wickedfrags
10-11-2012, 05:08 PM
If you got it from Greg, or from someone who got it from Greg, high light....as high as you can put it (well ok gradually move it up after a couple days) assuming you are not running more powerful lighting than a 400w halide

I have a red convexa. That's bright green. Good polyp extension. But little growth. Can't understand why it's greened out.
Also have others that are showing green growth tips. Ie. purple poison shortcake and purple stag.

Any ideas why.

I use ro/dI.
Cal,alk,mag are stable with no big swings
Po4-0
No3-undtectable
Salinity- 1.026
Temp-76

Radions at 18000k at 45%. Going up 5% every 2 weeks

Bblinks
10-11-2012, 09:08 PM
+1 on lighting, I have 2 red planets on different levels of the tank, one is near the bottom and the other in the middle of the tank. Lights are AI sol's and they are on 100% for 5 hours plus ramp up and down spanning 12 hours. The bottom red planet has a lot of green on it while the higher up on which is directly under is all red. I would bump up the percentage of your lighting but not so much that all your LPS end up bleaching, maybe 10% every 2 weeks and see how it does.

reefwars
10-11-2012, 09:26 PM
+1 on lighting, I have 2 red planets on different levels of the tank, one is near the bottom and the other in the middle of the tank. Lights are AI sol's and they are on 100% for 5 hours plus ramp up and down spanning 12 hours. The bottom red planet has a lot of green on it while the higher up on which is directly under is all red. I would bump up the percentage of your lighting but not so much that all your LPS end up bleaching, maybe 10% every 2 weeks and see how it does.

which one do you find has better color and growth??

Proteus
10-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks peeps.

I'm going to move the piece up if I have room
I have been bumping lights up 5% a week

Bblinks
10-11-2012, 11:21 PM
which one do you find has better color and growth??

Higher light = better growth for me but I like the look of the green base with the slow transition into red better.

Snappy
10-13-2012, 07:58 AM
This is what convexa looks like in my tank under a T5 MH mix positioned in the top 1/3 of the tank. As you can see there's not much green and this piece isn't fully colored up yet, it should get a brighter red..
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h210/Trainer02/convexa.jpg