PDA

View Full Version : How to Encourage Goby in Quarentine to Eat?

LeanneP
10-11-2012, 02:22 AM
I just got a Goby and pistol shrimp a couple of days ago and they are currently in a quarentine tank. The Goby is very shy and hasn't come out to eat at all. There are only two rocks in the tank so probably not a lot of food for him. I have tried feeding him brine shrimp soaked in garlic and some algea sheets. Any suggestions in encouraging him to eat?
Leanne

Mandosh
10-11-2012, 02:57 AM
Which species of goby?

LeanneP
10-11-2012, 03:13 AM
He is a Blue Spotted Goby

daplatapus
10-11-2012, 03:16 AM
Garlic didn't do much for my yellow watchman goby either but he seems to LOVE his food when I add in selcon. You could give that a try.
Mine was really shy at first too. He may just need a day or two to relax.

noirsphynx
10-11-2012, 03:22 AM
try more variety, mysis, pellets, and my fav for finicky gobies is cyclopeez

George
10-11-2012, 03:41 AM
2 days without eating is nothing. Give it more time. I wouldn't worry if it's not eating for the first week. Shrimp goby will eat eventually if it's healthy.

Reef_Geek
10-11-2012, 03:59 AM
hunger is a strong motivator to overcome shyness.

I have mandarins (S. picturatus & S. splendidus) that ate frozen artemia at the LFS, but took about 4 weeks before they came to the front of the tank... mostly foraging live (amphi/iso)pods before deciding to check out what's so smelly at feeding time. I've got a royal gramma that I see is still healthy and alive at the back of my tank but doesn't come out to grab food, and I got him almost 2 months ago.

when all else fails... fish rarely can resist live brine shrimp (adult)

Myka
10-11-2012, 11:30 PM
I think you need more time. Frozen brine shrimp should do the trick, I wouldn't worry about trying anything else at this point. What you can do is put a small plastic lid near where he hides and use it as a feeding dish. Add a few pieces of BS in the morning, and siphon it out in the evening if he doesn't eat it. He should start eating soon. This is how I train Mandarins too.

LeanneP
10-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks for all the tips. He was poking his head out a little last night so I will keep trying.

Leanne