PDA

View Full Version : Lights that can make colors of corals pop up

mrhasan
10-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Well I was wondering what sort of LED lights (royal blue, etc.) makes colors of coral look more vivid and pop out? I am running T5HO with 10k + actinic (2 bulbs) and I wouldn't say that the colors are looking dull or anything but I would like to make the colors look more vivid. I am thinking of getting a LED strip from ebay for this purpose (just ornamental) so which color of LEDs should I get?

Aquattro
10-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Well I was wondering what sort of LED lights (royal blue, etc.) makes colors of coral look more vivid and pop out? I am running T5HO with 10k + actinic (2 bulbs) and I wouldn't say that the colors are looking dull or anything but I would like to make the colors look more vivid. I am thinking of getting a LED strip from ebay for this purpose (just ornamental) so which color of LEDs should I get?

I would experiment with different T5 bullbs, lots of pop options available.

ashr
10-11-2012, 12:24 AM
ATI bulbs work very well!!

mrhasan
10-11-2012, 12:25 AM
I would experiment with different T5 bullbs, lots of pop options available.

My fixture is a 30" dual coralife fixture and I am stuck with just 10k and actinic from coralife. Will I be able to use lights from different brands in this fixture?

reefwars
10-11-2012, 12:32 AM
the coral needs to be healthy and lots of color then youll really appreciate actinics:)

mrhasan
10-11-2012, 12:34 AM
the coral needs to be healthy and lots of color then youll really appreciate actinics:)

Corals seems healthy and happy but the colors just doesn't pop out like they did in LFS. Although my tank has quite a few different types of corals now, there seems to be huge lack of colors :(

Will adding royal blue LED strips help?

Aquattro
10-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Will adding royal blue LED strips help?

no.

mrhasan
10-11-2012, 01:00 AM
So I will have to stick to my lights now right? The only coral that pops out its color is the neon green trumpet. The hammer that I recently got was EXTREMELY green in the LFS but its light green in my tank :(

Aquattro
10-11-2012, 01:04 AM
If you can't change bulbs in that fixture (no idea if you can or not) then you'd be better buying a used better fixture, maybe 4 bulb, and try different combos.

mrhasan
10-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Yah I was thinking about that too. Let's see if someone with a deal on 4 bulb fixture comes up :)

daplatapus
10-11-2012, 01:10 AM
I've made a DIY LED fixture and in the mix I've included Exotics Ocean Coral White and True Violet LED's and they're amazing!

mrhasan
10-11-2012, 01:12 AM
I've made a DIY LED fixture and in the mix I've included Exotics Ocean Coral White and True Violet LED's and they're amazing!

Ah LEDS :( Too expensive!!! :'(

Aquattro
10-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Ah LEDS :( Too expensive!!! :'(

How big is your tank?

mrhasan
10-11-2012, 01:14 AM
20 gallon long. 30"

iceman86
10-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Yah I was thinking about that too. Let's see if someone with a deal on 4 bulb fixture comes up :)

You can probably build your own led fixture for the same price as buying a used t5 on here. You can choose your colors and customize it anyway you want.

Aquattro
10-11-2012, 01:18 AM
20 gallon long. 30"

My LFS has a similar tank for smaller corals and runs 2 hagen T5 strips, 2 bulbs each, and the colors are awesome. Lots of pop. You can find those really cheap here or usedcity.com

mrhasan
10-11-2012, 01:28 AM
You can probably build your own led fixture for the same price as buying a used t5 on here. You can choose your colors and customize it anyway you want.

Although being an electrical engineer and with loads of DIY experiences back home, I am really lazy studying about all the LEDs, ways to mount, drivers, etc.:redface: There' just too many options so I am kinda reluctant to go though all the researches with all the pressure of grad school. But I am thinking of getting a DIY moonlight to make the tank look nice at night :D

mrhasan
10-11-2012, 01:30 AM
My LFS has a similar tank for smaller corals and runs 2 hagen T5 strips, 2 bulbs each, and the colors are awesome. Lots of pop. You can find those really cheap here or usedcity.com

Yah I guess my actinic is being suppressed by the 10k in visual spectrum (they are like a month old). I guess 4 bulbs would have made things pop up. Funny thing is, the colors looks amazing from the top of the tank :P

Aquattro
10-11-2012, 01:34 AM
I would look more at the different color bulbs, the KZ and ATI especially. A stock 10k and actinic aren't going to do much for "pop". I have 2 fixtures with bulbs like that and they're enough to grow things, but not to emphasize color. Look around for threads on T5 combos and you'll find lots of recommendations. I've bought coral from under a T5 that I've been disappointed with once home under the LEDs...

mrhasan
10-11-2012, 01:36 AM
I would look more at the different color bulbs, the KZ and ATI especially. A stock 10k and actinic aren't going to do much for "pop". I have 2 fixtures with bulbs like that and they're enough to grow things, but not to emphasize color. Look around for threads on T5 combos and you'll find lots of recommendations. I've bought coral from under a T5 that I've been disappointed with once home under the LEDs...

Yah ATIs are awesome as far as I know because of their vast selection of lights. Coralife is extremely limited (10k and actinic); oh well, you get what you pay for :P.

I think I will get a new light this Christmas. :D

Proteus
10-11-2012, 01:37 AM
I'm guessing the probably pc. Check the bulb. To see if its 4 straight pins or 4 pins in square. Coralife is one of the few left still making 4 square pin. But look online. You can get combo bulbs where it's blue and 10k. Or blue and pink. The list goes on.

Is it a pc bulb?

mrhasan
10-11-2012, 01:39 AM
I'm guessing the probably pc. Check the bulb. To see if its 4 straight pins or 4 pins in square. Coralife is one of the few left still making 4 square pin. But look online. You can get combo bulbs where it's blue and 10k. Or blue and pink. The list goes on.

Is it a pc bulb?

Nop. Mine is T5HO bulbs. Its the 30" coralife dual T5HO fixture (http://www.coralifeproducts.com/Files/Gallery/ItemLarge/hot5detail1.png)

Aquattro
10-11-2012, 01:57 AM
Even a second unit like that if you can find one!

Proteus
10-11-2012, 02:00 AM
Even a second unit like that if you can find one!

Yes more bulbs

mrhasan
10-11-2012, 02:03 AM
Yah! I will get four bulbs fixture when money permits :P

Thanks for the help everyone :D

RuGlu6
10-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Here is what i did: When i needed to change T5HO bulbs i got 4 strips of 50/50 high power Blue LEDs. They are 470nm (same as actinics).
Colors POP and corals like it in general. Its been 3 month now. It looks good, relatively cheep even including power transformer (120 to 12v) its comparable to a cost of new T5 bulbs. The only one thing is that you need to mount them on your reflector or any other metallic material to keep them cool or they will not last as long if overheated.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87189&page=4
scroll down for pictures of the fixture.
Read the description in the thread of the exact cost of these and also where to buy from. i don't know if he can ship it though.
Sea Horse Fanatic was first one to buy these blue LED's so may be you can PM him also for his input.