PDA

View Full Version : Copperband Butterfly & Aiptasia

Jim Barry
04-20-2004, 01:48 AM
I am thinking of getting a Copperband Butterfly to help reduce the amount of Aiptasia.

I don't want it to eat my corals and I am hearing that some copperbands will and some won't eat corals. Anyone have experience in the past with copperbands.

Thanks,

Jim :confused:

AJ_77
04-20-2004, 02:52 AM
I had a beautiful one, Jim - you may have seen it in Steve's big tank. It cleaned out the few (dozen) aiptasia I had at that time, then it learned to eat Mysis shrimp. They are really hit-and-miss though... many have had poor luck keeping them alive.

Mine did not eat any corals.

smokinreefer
04-20-2004, 06:20 AM
i have one. its a beautiful fish.
and it did solve my aiptasia problem. but they are hit or miss for that.
mine also doesnt try to taste any of my softies/lps/sps or clams.

i do not recommend this fish as a solution to aiptasia infestation.

i only recommmend this fish if you really want the fish to begin with, if it eats aiptasia, well, thats just a bonus.

robbyville
04-20-2004, 06:22 AM
I know that it can be hot or miss with corals, one thing to keep in mind though is that they will definitely depleat your feather dusters!

If it's just for aptaisia control (even that's not guaranteed), you may want to look into Joe's Juice. It works wonders.

Rob

EmilyB
04-20-2004, 06:28 AM
My copperband resides with Jon now. It didn't even look at aiptasia. However, it ate mysis and nibbled on brain corals. Aside from that it didn't bother much.

Joe's works well. I'm getting Ocean Aquatics to send me some. They'll just mail it in an envelope for you.

Nate
04-20-2004, 06:41 AM
Hey Jim,

We just got in a medium sized shipment of Joes Juice in at Big Als Calgary,
stop by if you decide on some,

Nate

Maverick
04-21-2004, 02:04 AM
When did this become a vendors selling board ?

Mav