PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a controller (mid level)

ashr
10-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey all

As I have been having new issues with my tank that I have never encountered before I think it's time to get into a controller.

I'm looking for something mid range and not to ton of money. There are so many out there I'm really not sure what to get and what would be the best

I want to be able to connect to the internet, test PH, Salt etc.

Under 250.00 would be the best.. I don't want the bare bones basic but not high end.

Enigma
10-09-2012, 11:17 PM
What do you want to be able to do with the controller? How upgradable do you want it to be? What different intfaces do you want to be able to use to operate the controller?

ashr
10-10-2012, 12:00 AM
What do you want to be able to do with the controller? How upgradable do you want it to be? What different intfaces do you want to be able to use to operate the controller?

Couple of things I want to be able to do are as follows:

Check Temp and PH, etc
Email,send notifications to my phone if something is wrong.
Turn off an outlet if something over heats, breaks

I want to be able to have access to the internet etc with it and update software as it comes available.

I've read some good things about the new lifeguard and it looks pretty good for the price.

Enigma
10-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Sorry, I missed what you probes you wanted in your first post.

Martin has the Apex Junior listed on his site for 149.95.
http://www.modularled.ca/aquacontroller-apex-jr-system-temperature-probe/

It doesn't have the display module: so access would be with a computer or the iOS app (which is pretty good), after the networking was set up. You would have to order the pH probe on top of that, as his package doesn't come with one. It is easy to program and it will send email notifications. As long as your network is set up properly for it, it can be accessed easily from outside of the home network. Outlets can be turned on and off: manually or via programs.

The conductivity (salinity) probe is costly (around $100, I think) and the PM2 module is needed on top of that (it is really getting costly, now). More outlets can be added, too.

There are upgrade limitations with the Junior (as opposed to the Lite or full Apex) but if you don't see yourself getting too crazy with what you're doing than it might be a good place to start.

I have one Apex and one Apex Lite, and I'm doing a lot more with them than I ever dreamed was possible.

I'm not familiar with the Lifeguard controller.

Enigma
10-10-2012, 12:42 AM
I've just googled it. The Lifegaurd isn't a controller, it is just a monitor. It won't give you all of the functionality that you're looking for. It will give you pretty charts, but you won't be able to program any outlets or shut them off if your heater goes haywire.

ashr
10-10-2012, 01:44 AM
I've just googled it. The Lifegaurd isn't a controller, it is just a monitor. It won't give you all of the functionality that you're looking for. It will give you pretty charts, but you won't be able to program any outlets or shut them off if your heater goes haywire.

That is good to know, thank you very much!!! I am doing some home work and might spend that extra little bit to make sure I have all my bases covered!

ashr
10-10-2012, 01:57 AM
One huge issue I have though is I have an all in one tank.. and my power bar is on the side of my tank...so that may be an issue for turning off pumps and lights etc..

intarsiabox
10-10-2012, 02:21 AM
One huge issue I have though is I have an all in one tank.. and my power bar is on the side of my tank...so that may be an issue for turning off pumps and lights etc..

I'm not sure what issue you mean exactly but controllers don't control ordinary power bars. They need their own brand to be able to control what happens at individual plugs. You may be able to replace the power bar in your RSM with a controllable one fits in the space. Are the cords long enough to be moved to another location such as behind or inside the stand?

Enigma
10-10-2012, 12:01 PM
I just had a brain fart . . . The PM2 module might be needed to run a pH probe on the Apex junior.

And, to echo what intarsiabox wrote, whatever devices you want to control will need to be plugged into the controller's outlets. You may not want to control everything, so you may be able to leave some things plugged into your existing powerbar.

Edit:To give you an idea, here is an Apex Lite with two powerbars, the display module, a breakout box, and a VDM module.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/IMG-20120920-00137_zps4263f36e.jpg

Everything that plugs into that is controllable.

Enigma
10-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Also, to further clarify things, I would call the Apex Junior an introductory controller, with the Apex and Apex Lite being intermediate controllers. I'd consider the GHL Profilux an advanced controller. I'd put the Reef Keeper controllers in the same category as the Apex controllers.

ashr
10-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Wow, thank you for all the info!! This is helping me out for sure! Just need to find out what I need and save up a little more :)!!:mrgreen: