PDA

View Full Version : Zoanthids melting

ZOOCRAZY
10-09-2012, 02:57 AM
My frag of darth mals melted in the last few days. Has anyone else experienced this with darth mals? What other ones are known to be melters?

Mandosh
10-09-2012, 03:04 AM
Melting darth mauls is pretty common. I have had terrible luck with Valentines Day Massacres. I've heard a lot of issues with Red PEs as well.

ZOOCRAZY
10-09-2012, 03:08 AM
They were doing so well then........

reefgirl189
10-09-2012, 04:04 AM
I had my space monsters melt this month. Every other zoo and paly is growing and looking good and that one melts for no apparent reason. It was doing great for months in the same spot and I still have no clue what the issue is. Sometimes I think they just do it to **** you off and make you freak out for a few days. I often wonder why I didn't just stick with the siamese fighting fish...

MMAX
10-09-2012, 01:58 PM
My radioactive dragon eyes melted recently. Grew fast and spread nicely then all of a sudden gone

Myka
10-10-2012, 12:03 AM
I haven't had trouble with Darth Mauls melting, but I have no luck with Magicians and their morphs. It's a Zoa thing though, not really sure what causes it, although it seems to happen in the wild as well, but isn't very well documented yet. Anyone who's had Zoas for some time will say they've had a colony start melting for no apparent reason. Sometimes it recovers after losing a few polyps, sometimes most polyps will be lost, and sometimes all polyps will be lost. It is frustrating.

daniella3d
10-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Well that's the problem. They grow like weeds and then out of nowhere they just melt for no apparent reason.

I am at my second attempts at keeping them. First they were doing so well that they doubled in size in no time...then I just bearely touched them once and poof...all gone in a few days.

With zoanthids and paly, once must act really really fast at the slightest sign of disease. I should have dipped them in peroxide / water as soon as I saw the decline starting.

the best way to go is to separate them from the begining when you get them, then let them grow undisturbed. At least that way if a colony melt, not all of them will melt.

They were doing so well then........