PDA

View Full Version : Choosing RO/DI Unit for Aquariums and Drinking Water

chromakey
10-08-2012, 03:35 AM
Good Day:

I currently have a 8 Gallon Nuvo freshwater and 28 Gallon JBJ Nano Reef tank. I am also thinking of adding a large freshwater tank.

I am considering a RO/DI system for the aquariums and also for drinking water. I just wanted to get some input on what other aquarists have used for this scenario.

Thanks for your help,

Michael

The Guy
10-08-2012, 03:56 AM
Good Day:

I currently have a 8 Gallon Nuvo freshwater and 28 Gallon JBJ Nano Reef tank. I am also thinking of adding a large freshwater tank.

I am considering a RO/DI system for the aquariums and also for drinking water. I just wanted to get some input on what other aquarists have used for this scenario.

Thanks for your help,

Michael
Hi : Check out the Aquasafe system very good stuff and it's in your back yard in Victoria I use their system for RO and DI. Works great.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee386/clownlover1/001-4.jpg

gregzz4
10-08-2012, 04:00 AM
Without knowing what size of larger tank you plan on getting into soon, it's hard to suggest a unit
For the most commonly used units, you can select from 50, 75 and 100GPD
Look for a unit that has a backflush valve as it may extend the life of the RO filter

Without knowing what your tapwater TDS is, it's hard to say whether or not you need the DI part of a unit
Here in Burnaby I get away with an RO unit without the DI filter
Our tapwater is sometimes as low as 6 TDS, so I don't even use our DI canister right now as the water out of our RO is always 0
I installed a couple extra valves, so I have the option of using our DI if our RO output ever rises

As far as drinking it goes;
I originally was drinking our RO water as it was so nice to not have the chlorine smell, but, after a few weeks, I grew tired of the bland taste of it

Drinking DI water, according to many studies, is a big no-no as it will strip your body of minerals so, if you plan on drinking your filtered water, T off of it before your DI filter

I've gone back to drinking tap water

Enigma
10-08-2012, 04:26 AM
I also use the aquasafe system. I'm very pleased with it.

gregzz4
10-08-2012, 04:31 AM
I can't add to my last post, so ....

Choosing a storage container for your RO will depend on how much you think you will use
My drum holds about 45g, give or take, and I have to run my RO system a couple times a week or so, depending on what I'm doing

I have a DT with a total of 110g of water, and currently am running a QT with 20g

I go through about 11g/week due to evaporation, 20-30g/week for water changes, and another 10+g/per week for rinsing stuff
So, I run my RO whenever my drum is below half full

You will have to decide how much water you can store, how much you will use, and how often you will run your RO or RO/DI system

Hope this helps :wink: