PDA

View Full Version : Extra Filtration for 28 Gallon JBJ Nano

chromakey
10-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Good Day:

I recently purchased a JBJ 28 Gallon Nano reef tank a couple of months ago. I also switched from Instant Ocean to Reefer's Best Salt. I do a 4 gallon water change weekly. I have been talking with a few people about the different add on filters I can use with Nano.

I would like to get some input on what item adds the most to keeping the water clean.

Protein Skimmer (possibly the Aquamaxx HOB-1)
Reactor with bio-pellets
Reactor with GFO or phosphate remover.
Other type of filter.

Thanks for your input,
Michael

Enigma
10-08-2012, 04:23 AM
Are parameters out if whack? Is anything suffering or not thriving? What is your filtration setup right now?

Northernseacorals
10-08-2012, 04:34 AM
If the inhabitants do not seem to be suffering you might be best to let the tank season a bit; you said it's rather new to you, might be a good plan to let things work in :)

As for the skimmer, I have an Aquamaxx HOB1 on a smaller tank, and it's an excellent choice for skimming a tank your size.

claymax
10-08-2012, 08:32 AM
i think jbj makes a clip on refugium led that you just stick on the back glass, ive never used one but it seems like a pretty nifty idea.

chromakey
10-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Hi:

I purchased the tank used. It has been setup for about 3 years and I moved it about 2 months ago.

I have the upgraded basket in the centre chamber with sponge, bag of Chem-pure Elite, bag of charcoal. Also I have a small bag of live rock in the lefthand chamber.

Advice from one person was keep it simple and just do weekly water change of 4 gallons. It seems to be working but I recently added a few fish to the tank. I would like to know what adds the most benefits of keep the water conditions correct.

Michael

Enigma
10-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Remove the sponge and use polyester filter floss instead. This is basically quilt batting. Big Al's sells it. You might be able to get it at Michael's Craft Stores, and you can most certainly get it at Fabricland (I think those are over on the island). Change this regularly.

I use Purigen in all of my tanks, and I've used it in conjunction with GFO. You could place it in the filter basket under the poly.

Having the media basket, you really don't need fluidized reactors for carbon or GFO. The media basket will work just fine for those.

I'm not sure of the chamber configuration on the NC28. Have a look at my contest entry thread (link in signature), and you can see how I squeezed a Hydor Slim Skim Nano into my NC24. It isn't without challenges. I can't comment on the skimmer yet, as there is no water in the tank yet.

I wouldn't do bio-pellets yet. The bio-pellet reactor that would work best for you is an external recirculating bio-pellet reactor. It is made by Reef Dynamics, and it would need to be ordered from the US ($250 + $50 shipping). You would need to T-off your return pump, and carve out the hood to allow the hoses to pass through. If you add a sump to your NC28, then there is another good bio-pellet reactor option, which can be purchased in Canada from J&L Aquatics (the Cad Lights recirculating reactor for $180). Cheaper reactors will work, but the recirculating ones help guard against overdose. If you're handy, there are DIY plans online for modding the TLF reactors to be recirculating.

In the event any parameters do wind up out of line, or anything undesirable happens in your tank, specific recommendations are generally easy to make.

And lastly . . . Tank photos are always appreciated. ;)

dbigdog
10-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Your best bet is to keep it simple.I have a 24 gallon,there is limited space for all the equipment,in the first chamber its all floss and foam filter the second is charcoal,bio balls and ceramic and heater.the return chamber has the pump and some foam filtering.I have large hang on protein skimmer that i use on saturday form morning till about 4 or 5,i also use this to do my water change.During this time i do the regular tank maintenance.The lighting is 50/50 and to led strips.
In the tank i have 1 power- head some live rock,sand bed,fist sized ball of cheato,soft coral,and a broad leaf plant that all of which are growing like crazy.
Livestock,2 clowns snails and hermit crabs.

chromakey
10-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Here are some pics of my tank:

I have some cyano bacteria on the green algae for sure. I try to suck it up when I do my water changes. I have some other reddish algae? that is growing on the coral. The texture seems different and you can't remove it with the turkey baster. Is this something else?

I am at the max for fish and that is kind of why I was thinking of adding some more filtration.

I have 1 adult clown, 3 juvenile clowns (locally bred in Victoria), file fish, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 6 line wrasse and snails & crabs.

Thanks,
Michael

Enigma
10-08-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm mulling this over.

It looks like most of your corals are softies. You've got cyano, and what I'm guessing is bryopsis (the green stuff). It is difficult to tell from the photos on my iPad. I'm going to have to look at the photos on a computer. If you filter/skim aggressively you may loose some of your corals. I personally can't keep Xenia: it requires more nutrients than my display system provides (but I still have algae and cyano).

You need to pick off the green algae. But, don't let any get loose in the tank. You can't treat with H202, as that will certainly kill your Xenia.

I would definately add a bag of Purigen to your media basket. I would also definately skim.

Do you have any idea what your phosphate and nitrate levels are?

dbigdog
10-09-2012, 12:21 AM
I dont think that is hair algea,its too course,i have some in my tank and it is very fine and flowing.What you have is kind of like cheato which is beneficial,and aids in the filtration.Just keep it trimmed back and you should be good.Run your skimmer once or twice a week.

chromakey
10-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Hi:

I just tested my water:
Calcium 460
Phos: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Amon.: 0.1
PH: 8.1
KH: 14 dkH (a bit high)
SG: 1.025
I am using Reefer's Best Salt

I am thinking of adding a protein skimmer. After reading a few reviews it seems the Aquamaxx HOB-1 is rated quite highly. Everyone seems to be out of stock and the only Canadian Dealer I found was reefsupplies.ca

PS. Is there an easy way to "insert" photos into the post from my computer directly? I know it can be done on other forums.

Enigma
10-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Now that I've seen the photos on a better monitor . . . it definitely looks like cyano in the green algae. It may just be caught up enough in the algae that it won't syphon out.

Now, the green algae . . . I've had that one in my display. I don't know 100% what it is called, and I couldn't get an ID on it. dbigdog may very well be correct in that it is similar to (or a species of) Chaetomorpha.

My Tuxedo Urchin ate it, and I was very pleased to have it gone from my display.

If it starts to become invasive and choke out your corals, you will want to remove it. Otherwise, if it stays in check, it may be okay.

What tests are you using?

You most likely do have phosphate. My API test always tested "0" for phosphate. I purchased a Hanna Checker, and while they're only accurate to 0.04ppm, it has certainly shown me that I have phosphate in my system. I'm also able to determine that my ROWAphos is removing it (by comparing the tank water to the output from my fluid reactor).

nsousa
12-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Every nano tank i've owned i've always upgraded to the INTANK media basket. I think its the best upgrade you can do for nano filtration.
Most run floss, purigen and chemipur elite in their media baskets.

Here is the link:
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Nano-Cube-28-Media-Basket-NC28MR.htm

happy holidays!

tentacles
12-29-2012, 02:27 PM
That green algae looks like a sprig I have growing in my tank. I believe my emerald crab ate it though, mine only got about 1/2" tall before it got mowed down. It was either the emerald crab or a snail/hermit.

chromakey
01-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Good Day:

I have been running the tank for several months now and have recently added a flame angle and wrasse and I am planning to add a file fish when the LFS gets them in.

My fish load will be 2 clowns false percs, 2 wrasses, flame angel and file fish.

For filtration I have the bat filter media, chemipure elite and a smaller bag of carbon & GFO in the filter basket, and I am running an Aquamaxx skimmer (I have an issue with the gurgling/slurping sound from the discharge that I am trying to sort out as well).

I do a 4 gallon water change every two weeks with RO water.

I just measured all the parameter of the tank yesterday with API test kit:

Temp: 80 F, pH: 8.2, Amon/nitrite/nitrate: 0, Ca: 440ppm, Carbonate Hardness: 12 dKH, Phosphate: 0, SG: 1.025.

With the increase in bioload and feeding I am looking to increase my filtration so my water quality doesn't drop and get algae bloom and other bad things.

I have a Fluval 305 canister filter that I can use but was wondering what the best setup would be.

I was thinking of a GFO/carbon reactor but I have no experience with this type of filtration and wasn't sure of the increase efficiency over GFO/Carbon in filter basket.

I also have a 8 Gallon Nuvo tank in my daughter's bedroom with two small clowns. I was thinking of adding on the 305 onto the tank if it won't be using it for my JBJ 28 Gallon Nano.

Thanks for your time,

Michael

PS. What is the max size of file attachments you are allowed?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q11xjkbv5uofum3/DSC_8139.jpg

chromakey
01-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Here are some tank pics:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=784&pictureid=5767

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=784&pictureid=5766

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=784&pictureid=5765

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=784&pictureid=5763

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=784&pictureid=5762

Does anyone know the name of this wrasse? I was told it was a Clown Wrasse but can't fine a lot of info for that name:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=784&pictureid=5760

freezetyle
01-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Does anyone know the name of this wrasse? I was told it was a Clown Wrasse but can't fine a lot of info for that name:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=784&pictureid=5760

Lubbocks Wrasse
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+376&pcatid=376

Xadieu
01-22-2013, 04:58 AM
Good Day:

I have been running the tank for several months now and have recently added a flame angle and wrasse and I am planning to add a file fish when the LFS gets them in.

My fish load will be 2 clowns false percs, 2 wrasses, flame angel and file fish.

For filtration I have the bat filter media, chemipure elite and a smaller bag of carbon & GFO in the filter basket, and I am running an Aquamaxx skimmer (I have an issue with the gurgling/slurping sound from the discharge that I am trying to sort out as well).

I do a 4 gallon water change every two weeks with RO water.

I just measured all the parameter of the tank yesterday with API test kit:

Temp: 80 F, pH: 8.2, Amon/nitrite/nitrate: 0, Ca: 440ppm, Carbonate Hardness: 12 dKH, Phosphate: 0, SG: 1.025.

With the increase in bioload and feeding I am looking to increase my filtration so my water quality doesn't drop and get algae bloom and other bad things.

I have a Fluval 305 canister filter that I can use but was wondering what the best setup would be.

I was thinking of a GFO/carbon reactor but I have no experience with this type of filtration and wasn't sure of the increase efficiency over GFO/Carbon in filter basket.

I also have a 8 Gallon Nuvo tank in my daughter's bedroom with two small clowns. I was thinking of adding on the 305 onto the tank if it won't be using it for my JBJ 28 Gallon Nano.

Thanks for your time,

Michael

PS. What is the max size of file attachments you are allowed?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q11xjkbv5uofum3/DSC_8139.jpg

No need to run reactor for carbon/GFO since you are already using chemipure elite because Chemi is Carbon and GFO in a filter bag. If you have room somewhere to run a reactor that would be more optimal. A reactor would increase the efficiency of the Carbon/GFO because the water is being force through them instead of traveling around them. I am surprised your nitrate and PO4 are 0 even with the amount of fish/invert/corals you have in your tank. But then again Raied on this forum has 8 fish in his 20 gallon and using tap water and still be able to get 0 parameters. Beats me how that all works.

As for attachment it's best to use external link for picture instead of attachment, better that way since you can upload as many as you want.