PDA

View Full Version : DIY Battery Backup (UPS)

chromakey
10-08-2012, 03:01 AM
Good Day:

I am looking for some information on making a battery backup for my 28 Gallon Nano Reef Tank. I would like to be able to run the pump and heater. I am located in Victoria, BC and also would like to know if anyone else is interested in sourcing out the parts to do the build.

I would like to know which components that people had success with for building the battery backup.

Thanks,
Michael

Northernseacorals
10-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Good Day:

I am looking for some information on making a battery backup for my 28 Gallon Nano Reef Tank. I would like to be able to run the pump and heater. I am located in Victoria, BC and also would like to know if anyone else is interested in sourcing out the parts to do the build.

I would like to know which components that people had success with for building the battery backup.

Thanks,
Michael

Do you mean sourcing the parts such as micro-controller, battery cells, charge inverter ect?

You should understand it would be much more economically effective to purchase a server grade uninterruptible power supply from a computer store; or check out Princess Auto flyers for small generator.

subman
10-08-2012, 04:46 AM
I use one of these
www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=349

Northernseacorals
10-08-2012, 05:57 AM
$169 king 900w gas
http://www.generatorsolutions.ca/portable-generator/king.php

In Canada and they will ship...

Wheelman76
10-08-2012, 06:00 AM
Great price for a generator

chromakey
10-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Good Day:

Thanks for the replies. I have know that some people have made their own battery backup. I think they use a deep cycle 12 Volt battery, trickle charger, inverter and relay/changeover switch.

Thanks,
Michael

Jaws
10-08-2012, 02:53 PM
$169 king 900w gas

http://www.generatorsolutions.ca/portable-generator/king.php

In Canada and they will ship...

Those prices seem so cheap in comparison. Any reason why you think that might be?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Snaz
10-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Those prices seem so cheap in comparison. Any reason why you think that might be?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Perhaps the recall might have something to do with the lower prices.
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/recalls/2007/12/3000_generators_recalled_for_s.html

Northernseacorals
10-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Perhaps the recall might have something to do with the lower prices.

Possibly because their name for this model has been sullied; however I did shoot a quick email to them to ask :)

I seriously doubt they would be selling something that is under recall; I believe that would be against the law... or I hope so.

I'll let you know the answer back when I receive it.

Snaz
10-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Possibly because their name for this model has been sullied; however I did shoot a quick email to them to ask :)

I seriously doubt they would be selling something that is under recall; I believe that would be against the law... or I hope so.

I'll let you know the answer back when I receive it.

Mislabeling something as safety certified and counterfeiting trademarks is not a company I would want to deal with, regardless if King Power or a parts supplier is at fault.

I would be curious to the response you get from your email.

Northernseacorals
10-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Mislabeling something as safety certified and counterfeiting trademarks is not a company I would want to deal with, regardless if King Power or a parts supplier is at fault.

I would be curious to the response you get from your email.

Here is the response I received from them.

If you bought before 2007 you need to get a sticker for it for CSA approval, if after 2007 you are just fine.

Let me know if you need the sticker.

Thank you,

Shelly Pearsons
Generator Solutions
705-286-1003
705-286-2977(fax)
888-489-1008

----- Original Message ----- From: "" <*****@me.com>
To: <webrequest@generatorsolutions.ca>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 1:19 PM
Subject: King 950W Portable Generator

I would like to know if this model is certified as safe in Canada, specifically by the CSA,

The website link above looks as if the product might be falsely and/or fraudulently marked and/or advertised with the possibility of having uncertified parts installed.

Please advise..

Thanks so much.

While this company is obviously a reseller of the products and not the manufacture, so I did the following to be double sure.

I did call the CSA because there was no response via email;
Product Certification
Toll-Free: (866) 797-4272
Tel: (416) 747-2661
Email: certinfo@csagroup.org

I received the same information about King 950W Generator; the set is certified for sale, and it's illegal to sell a product under recall for safety problems.

After all this, I would feel fine about purchasing if I were looking.

Seriak
10-09-2012, 06:52 PM
If you end up buying a Computer UPS, make sure it has a pure sign wave. It'll play nicer with your components. Also, most heaters wont run off the Battery Backups as they draw too much from it. It would shut down your UPS really quick once you lost power.