PDA

View Full Version : Lighting and detrivors

danny zubot
04-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Ok, I need some lighting advice. I have a 54 gallon bow front with a 30 inch dual strip balast with power glow and marine glow bulbs.(20watts each) followed by an 18 inch 420 actinc, followed by a dual incan. balast with 2 full spec. power compacts. My corals are not doing so well. I'm leaning toward putting two 420s in my 30 inch balast, and replacing everything else with a dual 24 inch either VHO or power compact balast with 10000Ks. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I would also like to know where to get a good detrivor kit, as my newly overhauled tank is lacking.

Bob I
04-19-2004, 04:16 PM
The first question is this "How deep is the tank" :question: The second question is "what is a 420". :question: The third question is"what is the wattage of the power compacts" :question: Question number four "what corals are you trying to keep' :question:
But even with all those questions answered it sounds like you are waay underilluminated for any corals. :sad:

danny zubot
04-19-2004, 04:51 PM
My tank is 24 inches deap, when I refer to a 420 I mean actinic(420nm is just the spectrum) I have started to collect a wide variety of corals such as sps, soft etc. But my green candy corals are the one that are not doing so well right now. And no, might lighting is not adequate, but thats what you get for buying such an odd shaped tank. I'. wondering if I shoud scrap everything and put 1 MH over it?

danny zubot
04-19-2004, 04:53 PM
I'm not really sure about the wattage of power compacts in a 24inch balast. I'm told that I can get 2x 75 watt VHO though, which would you recomend?

Bob I
04-19-2004, 04:59 PM
As you suggested it would probably be better to get a 250W MH pendant. You will then be better situated to keep a variety of corals.

danny zubot
04-19-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks, I guess I've got a lot to consider. My final decision unfortunately will be cost so I will have to start doing to window shopping.

Quinn
04-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Generally, SPS require high levels of light (and more specifically PAR) to thrive. You may find that if you choose your lighting based on monetary cost, you will not be successful with these animals. However, it is possible to DIY metal halide setups for quite cheaply.

danny zubot
04-19-2004, 06:42 PM
My dicision won't on be based on cost, but heat and safety aswell. My apartment maintains my tank without a heater at 81 degrees. I also have other curious animals in my house that love to climb all over my aquarium, but you are right, this will limit the types of corals I keep in the future.

AJ_77
04-19-2004, 10:09 PM
The advantage to a suspended MH pendant is it can be 12" (or more) above the open top, aiding in "heat management"... The open top helps control temps somewhat, maybe/probably better than having the MH enclosed in a canopy with fans running, and more efficient that having a bunch of PC bulbs close over a closed glass top. A hood for that tank is a challenge for sure (is it a corner bow?)

Ed ("ed99") has a 90 corner tank, and found a way to fit 260W of PC lighting over it. Still not a lot of light, but enough for the less-demanding varieties of corals. Haven't heard from Ed lately... :wink: Here's the thread where he gives reasons for not going MH:

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=49615&highlight=#49615

Another corner-tank solution belongs to Evan ("eposer"), who is very creative with all things DIY... Not sure where his pictures are right now (somewhere in the Pictures forum, I think...) He went MH all the way and has a warm living room too.
:biggrin:

danny zubot
04-19-2004, 10:16 PM
:lol: I totally appriciate your suggestion however, I live in a penthouse loft with 18.5 foot ceilings. I know it could be done but.............How!

danny zubot
04-19-2004, 10:19 PM
I'm giving some serious thought right now to buying a more standard sized tank, like a 90 or 110 gallon. At least that way I can buy nominal sized light fixtures. My friend runs 400watts worth of VHO and they do the trick nicely on his 90gallon.