PDA

View Full Version : Female clown died

Douglas
10-07-2012, 08:47 PM
My Female clown died :cry: ......can i replace her with a new smaller one? Will they partner up?

riceboy
10-07-2012, 08:52 PM
I've never had any luck getting a female to pair up with another male but since its the other way around I'm sure the male wouldn't mind a younger female :lol:

Duker
10-07-2012, 09:12 PM
what will actually happen is the remaining clown you have will grow and turn into the dominant female clown, and:biggrin: as long as you add a clown that is smaller that the one you have you should see some arguing and bullying at first but then there will be romance. Good luck!

daniella3d
10-08-2012, 02:19 AM
It's always best to buy a smaller one as your current male will become the domimant female now that your female is gone.

If you choose a very small one, it will inevitably become the male as your current male will change into a female.

If you choose a larger one, you run the risk of ending up with 2 females if your current male has already begin to change.

It takes patience though. I paired a black and white with a black ice and the black and white is obviously the female now but they are only starting to show each other some interest. They are not a couple yet and there is some friction still. They are together for over 6 months now so that really can take a long time.

My Female clown died :cry: ......can i replace her with a new smaller one? Will they partner up?

MMAX
10-08-2012, 12:46 PM
I have had a full grown female ocellaris now for about 4 years. In that span, she's gone through 3 husbands--all have committed suicide by jumping. I don't know if she's that hard to live with or what. Early this summer I decided to try one more time and bought an ultra aggressive male from a fellow reefer that is half her size. As soon as he was released and they came together, he showed his dominance over her and she responded by turning on her side and letting him take control. Quite interesting to watch a new fsh do this to another that has been in my tank so long.

daniella3d
10-09-2012, 12:22 AM
then you probably have 2 females. Because the female is dominant, not the male.

An ultra aggressive male is probably a female, not a male.

It is against nature for a male to dominate a female so very very unlikely, and especially very very unlikely that the female would submit to a male, again it is against nature.

I have had a full grown female ocellaris now for about 4 years. In that span, she's gone through 3 husbands--all have committed suicide by jumping. I don't know if she's that hard to live with or what. Early this summer I decided to try one more time and bought an ultra aggressive male from a fellow reefer that is half her size. As soon as he was released and they came together, he showed his dominance over her and she responded by turning on her side and letting him take control. Quite interesting to watch a new fsh do this to another that has been in my tank so long.

Douglas
10-09-2012, 12:56 AM
My male clown has a new friend. But things aren't very happy in the tank. He's a bit of a bully to the new guest. Poor thing. Hope they settle things out.

MMAX
10-09-2012, 03:08 AM
then you probably have 2 females. Because the female is dominant, not the male.

An ultra aggressive male is probably a female, not a male.

It is against nature for a male to dominate a female so very very unlikely, and especially very very unlikely that the female would submit to a male, again it is against nature.

Thank you very very much Daniella for your insight but I assure you very very much that it is a male that is dominating my female. There's always exceptions to rules of nature.

daniella3d
10-10-2012, 01:12 AM
I would like to see that in video...should be interesting.

YOu will definitly see if you have a male and female as they will form a couple, or not.

I would guess that the dominant "male" is soon (very soon) going to turn into what dominance is all about...a female and then you'll have 2 females.

Thank you very very much Daniella for your insight but I assure you very very much that it is a male that is dominating my female. There's always exceptions to rules of nature.

MMAX
10-10-2012, 01:46 PM
I would like to see that in video...should be interesting.

YOu will definitly see if you have a male and female as they will form a couple, or not.

I would guess that the dominant "male" is soon (very soon) going to turn into what dominance is all about...a female and then you'll have 2 females.

I don't think so Daniella but thanks again for your "expert" advice although it wasn't asked for. I'd like for you to know that they formed a couple almost immediatly after he was introduced and were actually doing the mating dance last night.
Douglas, hope everything works out with your clowns if you decide to get another one and sorry for the hijack of your thread.

jorjef
10-10-2012, 03:14 PM
I assure you very very much that it is a male that is dominating my female. There's always exceptions to rules of nature.

Unno, maybe they play for the same team...:biggrin:. Who knows, could happen...

Douglas
10-11-2012, 12:23 AM
It's day three for the new little guest. My male clown is not very curtious, he's pushing the new little clown around. I guess i'd be a little cranky having to change my sex also. :lol:

Coralgurl
10-11-2012, 12:46 AM
I added a new clarkii clown after my female jumped. My male I would assumed changed and is now the size of a small tang. She had taken up residence in my bta and was quite content. Now the small male has taken over the nem and the female doesn't seem to mind. (it's a small nem). I would def say they are not paired but there's no issues with them.

I did the same with my black and white clowns. One died so I added another a few weeks later. The female wants nothing to do with him and chases him away from her nem. Funny tho, he sneaks in when she's not looking, then gets chased out. The aggression is not as bad as it was and he can hang closer to her, but not for long. This has been going on for 3 months now.

Douglas
10-12-2012, 01:11 AM
Sad news: it seams my new clown has not survived the harrasment of the old male. Disappointing.:sad:

Coralgurl
10-12-2012, 02:02 AM
That sucks!

daniella3d
10-13-2012, 12:13 AM
It is best to separate them through eggcrate, or best is to take the old one out and put both clown fish (old and new) into a quarantinen tank.

That's what I did with my female that was alone for 1 year. I took her out and put her at the same time as my new (much smaller one) into a quarantine tank.

That way the female is not so territorial and she will be more prone to accept the new one.

They formed a couple after 4 weeks in quarantine so I could put them back into the main tank after 6 weeks without problem. If needed, it is a lot easier to separate the tank in half with eggcrate if there is fighting to let them get used to each other.