PDA

View Full Version : Finally...a bigger tank! Design questions

Duker
10-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Ok peeps, i am finally ready to plan and design my new bigger tank!!! Yippee
Let's face it, it was only a matter of time....hahaha

Anyway i'm going with a 160 gallon. 6' L x 2' W x 21"T three inches shy of a 180. but the 3 inches will help the wet armpit situation.:wink:

My question is this, for the overflow i don't want to have as much noise with trickling water as i do with my present 75 gallon. It has a regular derso overflow pipe, but for the 160 i am thinking of herbie style; anyone with opinions or experiense with them? I have seen them over at oceanic corals in vancouver and it seemed pretty quiet but as with everything there are pros and cons, so if you know of any issues or praises i'd love to hear them.

reefwars
10-07-2012, 03:38 PM
herbies the way to go , dead silent.

you will need 2 drains and a gate valve in order to do it properly:)

Proteus
10-07-2012, 04:04 PM
I prefer a bean animal. But 3 drains are needed. If plausible. I did this system on rusty dogs 240g. Dead quite

Duker
10-07-2012, 04:17 PM
I prefer a bean animal. But 3 drains are needed. If plausible. I did this system on rusty dogs 240g. Dead quite

guess i will be googling "bean animal"??? i will look up rusty dogs old posts. thanks

Duker
10-07-2012, 04:18 PM
herbies the way to go , dead silent.

you will need 2 drains and a gate valve in order to do it properly:)

Yeah, thats what i though about herbies. Where would the gate valve go? Thanks

cale262
10-07-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm running something between the two (bean/herbie), its basically a herbie with a third emergency standpipe. As pictured, The middle is an adjustable syphon, the left is a trickle and the right is the emergency in the unlikely event of the fist two becoming blocked.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/cale262/Aquaruims/Niner-Niner/th_IMG_5783.jpg (http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/cale262/Aquaruims/Niner-Niner/?action=view&current=IMG_5783.jpg)

Proteus
10-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Here you go

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

Duker
10-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Here you go

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

OMG, that is so sweet! I actually understand it to. I will have to read the rest of the thread later, but so I AM SOLD!!! Thanks so much Titus:biggrin:

Milad
10-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Here you go

+1 if i could change mine, i would

Seth81
10-07-2012, 06:37 PM
I gotta agree with Denny on this one. Herbie is much more simple and dead silent. all you need is two stand pipes and a gate valve. Just make sure the two stand pipes go independently to the sump.

Aquattro
10-07-2012, 07:28 PM
You convinced him to cut the wall like I said, huh?? :razz:

HaZRaTTy
10-07-2012, 08:09 PM

Oh and when I was at sheldon's he was taking all the credit.... :lol:

Proteus
10-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Oh and when I was at sheldon's he was taking all the credit.... :lol:

Haha. I woulnt expect any less

Duker
10-07-2012, 09:05 PM
You convinced him to cut the wall like I said, huh?? :razz:

well Brad its all about baby steps, first i convinced him the small hole in the wall was a good idea, my plan has always been for a bigger hole (in the beginnig it was a bit of a pipe dream). But now the real problem will be convincing him its a good idea to get an electrician in to wire me in a new power box just for the fish room....that's going to be the challenge!:biggrin:

freezetyle
10-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Thats awesome Ronnie!

Herbies are great drain systems. i have one on my 50 gallon if you want to see what its like.

Rice Reef
10-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Looking forward to seeing the tank once completed and filled with corals and fish! :smile:

Dive_dry
10-08-2012, 05:34 PM
go for the bean animal that is what is going on my 300 and 90. My 90 will be getting re built starting next week so when it is done i will let you know

Duker
10-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Looking forward to seeing the tank once completed and filled with corals and fish! :smile:

Thanks, we will be trading frags soon. :biggrin:

Duker
10-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Thats awesome Ronnie!

Herbies are great drain systems. i have one on my 50 gallon if you want to see what its like.

Yeah. That would be great johnny. Talk soon.

Duker
10-08-2012, 08:51 PM
go for the bean animal that is what is going on my 300 and 90. My 90 will be getting re built starting next week so when it is done i will let you know

I think this is the way I will go. I look forward to seeing it re-build.

asylumdown
10-09-2012, 01:26 AM
+1 on the bean animal overflow. It also has the benefit of being external, and getting rid of overflow boxes in the tank is a huge asset.

If for whatever reason you do decide to go with a herbie, my only word of advice would be to consider how many over flows you need, and how they're all plumbed together. A tank as large as yours is a candidate for have two overflows, and if you do that and also want a herbie, don't plumb your overflows together. Have the overflow lines run completely separately in to the sump (as in, two pipes spitting out water in the sump). If the overflow pipes are joined at some point beneath the tank before they empty in to the sump, the herbie's will be infinitely more finicky, and horrendous to deal with.

I had to abandon my herbie overflows and go to a durso because I had my overflow pipes plumbed together under the tank.

My next tank will have a Bean Animal and external overflows.