PDA

View Full Version : Lost a Hermit. :(

magikof7
10-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Hi All!

I just found one of my larger Hermit Crabs dead and out of its shell in my tank. I don't even know where his shell is. He was the largest Hermit in the tank. all my Params are 0. Salinity 1.026.
Will Emerald crabs kill Hermits? This is my first loss, and I am not happy about it. CUC is one of my faveorite things about reef tanks. :(

Hope you are all having a wonderful thanksgiving with your loved ones!

cale262
10-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Are you sure it's not a molt?

Leah
10-07-2012, 12:03 AM
What day will the funeral be?

magikof7
10-07-2012, 12:56 AM
omg, I forgot that they Molt! :redface: it is possible. the Shrimp made off with it now.
I will keep my eye out for him.

Total Newb panick attack. :) (first thing you think of...MANTIS! and where are my other crabs! lol)

You read so much information in the hobby it is easy to forget the simple things.

lol Leah , no funeral. The shrimp gets a meal either way.

reefgirl189
10-07-2012, 02:35 AM
I've had my hermits kill each other, could that be possible with yours?

Jeff000
10-07-2012, 02:53 AM
I lose so many of my cuc to nothing that I just buy more every time they are on sale. Crabs killing crabs, crabs killing snails, things dying from lack of food when I buy too many.

daniella3d
10-07-2012, 03:25 AM
all of mine are dead to the mantis shrimp that live in my tank.

I woudl rather keep the mantis, it's pretty cool. I got mine as a itchicker when it was 1/4" and now it's 4" and a blue beauty. No more snails and no more crab as she ate them all, so I don't buy them any longer.

Having a mantis in your tank is pretty obvious as they often emit a loud click.

The Guy
10-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I've had my hermits kill each other, could that be possible with yours?
They will kill each other for a new shell, I've had it happen a few times. You could throw in a few extra shells a little larger than them, that helps curb the battling for a new homes.

reefgirl189
10-07-2012, 05:56 PM
They will kill each other for a new shell, I've had it happen a few times. You could throw in a few extra shells a little larger than them, that helps curb the battling for a new homes.

Unfortunately even with plenty of extra shells they still like to play gladiators of the reef tank. We had one particularly nasty hermit (named "the claw") who has been banished to the sump. He would purposely hunt down and kill for pleasure as he would kill the snails and hermits that were much smaller than him. He didn't want their shell, he wanted their blood.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/christinadouma149/IMG_4271.jpg

Seth81
10-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Ha ha ..."the claw"...

I lose at least one crab every three days or so. They just love eating eachother!

Clean up crew constantly needs to be replenished IMo

Leah
10-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Eat or be eaten, I am afraid. :wink: