PDA

View Full Version : Vortech Pump question

RenHoek104
10-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Hey guys,

I got good news, my ammonia is down and so far things are going well.

I recently (today) got an Ecotech Vortech MP10ESw powerhead. So far it works great and I was able to put it in sleep mode. It seems to be well installed. No vibration sound, granted on full power it does hum, but I'm assuming it's normal. Anyways, back to my question, I have a 33 gallon and as I read on the Ecotech site, one pump should be enough. I was wondering, do you agree? Should I keep one of my Hydor 750 plugged in? Should I pick up another Vortech and set it as a slave? On max power it does move a lot of the detritus around. Right now I left one Hydor plugged in because I've been told that too little circulation will lead to heartache.

What do you recommend? I think I found some in town for $219.99, which is really interesting.

Thanks,
Ren

JCharles
10-04-2012, 05:19 PM
1 MP10 is definitely enough for a 33 gallon, since you could run it at 1575 GPH if you wanted. However, you might keep another powerhead in there (or get another MP10 like you said) and keep the MP10 (or MP10s) dialed down to minimizing dead spots. Depending on your rockwork, one MP10 might be enough for that as well (especially if it's on a mode like Reef Crest).

asylumdown
10-04-2012, 09:45 PM
yah it depends more on how your tank is set up than anything. if you've got a lot of rock that can create dead spots, you might want to keep another pump pointed in that direction

RenHoek104
10-05-2012, 03:31 AM
Hmmm...alright. I might remove the hydor pump and increase the output on the vortech. I'll see what happens. If need be I'll put back the Hydor 750 and wait for Christmas to buy another Vortech.
Thanks!
Ren

HaZRaTTy
10-08-2012, 12:04 PM
I really think you should be okay with one MP10, I have ran one on my 65G when I had it and it was enough! You could also point your returns to assist with dead zones.

It would be awesome if you had a picture of your tank showing your placement, I always found it difficult to determine the perfect postion in regards to my rockwork you might have to change a few times.

RenHoek104
10-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Good point about the pictures, so here they are.

Hopefully it'll help to figure out my pump question. Thanks everyone.

Ren

mike31154
10-10-2012, 01:40 AM
Here's my take on your situation, seeing that you have the VorTech placed at one end of the tank. Sure one will probably do, but your flow will be predominantly in one direction and although pulse mode will give you a back & forth flow, that mode gets annoying quick with the constant ramping up & down of the MP10. I'd say keep the Hydor at the other end for now, until you get your hot little hands on a second MP10. Once you have #2, your flow options with a Master/Slave set up will increase substantially. In addition, you can run the two at lower power settings to cut down on the sound.

HaZRaTTy
10-10-2012, 01:52 AM
I agree / disagree with mike. In such a small tank I think if you were to T your return with locline and point it opposite of your MP10 you will have I believe enough flow in both directions. Personally I don't mind the pulse mode and its all I run on my 120 I suppose it just boils down to $$ and perference.

Sure 2 - MP10s would be better more is always better, is it needed its arguable.

RenHoek104
10-10-2012, 03:21 AM
For now I think I'll stick with one vortech and one hydor. I'll ask Santa for a new pump for Christmas or if/when I win the lottery.
Thanks
Ren

HaZRaTTy
10-10-2012, 03:26 AM
Sounds good! But sorry I already have this Friday's winning ticket you better bank on the Old Fat guy.