PDA

View Full Version : 7 gal AGA minibows

JTrigger
04-18-2004, 07:43 AM
Where would I be able to get one? King Eds? Big Al's?

JT

JTrigger
04-18-2004, 05:20 PM
bump

purple_llama
04-26-2004, 06:11 AM
i saw one at big al's during their boxing day sale... but it was still cheaper at j&l's.
don't know about king ed's.
it's not on their website cause they don't ship it. but last time i was there they still had some in stock. forget the price though.

JTrigger
04-28-2004, 05:47 AM
Thx! I picked up my minibow at King Ed's before I read your post so DOH! Oh well, I've got a great setup tho with a MiniBow 7 + 32 watt CSL retrofit PC/actinic + AC300 + Tronic 50 + MiniJet PH.

JT

purple_llama
04-28-2004, 06:18 PM
heh... that's almost the same as my setup, except different brand of heater and i never found a powerhead.
where did you get the mini-jet? all i've managed to find is big ones, and i need to get me some better water currents. (i did find one tiny one, but it was noisy and later rusty :eek: )

Bob I
04-29-2004, 12:53 AM
I have a Microjet (MC320), I could part with. It does 73 gallons per hour. Wai's here in Calgary has the new version of the Minijet 404. I am not sure of the number. :mrgreen:

Mother Reefer
05-05-2004, 09:38 PM
Just curious is this the tank you purchased?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=aq-aga5bp

I'd like to start a nano as well but is the lighting on this sufficient or would it need an upgrade? (for zoos, leathers, shrooms)
If so is it easily & reasonably priced to do?

JTrigger
05-06-2004, 12:32 AM
Close.. it was a 7 gal MB, but pretty similar. I had to upgrade the lighting to a 32w CSL retrofit (PC/actinic).

JT

bluetang
05-06-2004, 01:27 AM
Where did you get it and how much was that PC retrofit. Id like to get one started for my desk at work.

Mother Reefer
05-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the response, I'm also interested in what bluetang asked :) thx
any pics :lol:

Beverly
05-06-2004, 01:38 PM
The plastic tank in the link isn't the one you want. It has a solid plastic cover with a plastic guard over the light and the screw that holds the plastic cover in place corrodes in a few months making it impossible to change the light. It also comes with a cr*ppy light which is hard to upgrade.

The tank you want is made of glass and has glass covers and a light strip that goes on top of the glass cover. The light strip can be retrofitted so you can have decent lighting on the tank.

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/7gal-2.jpg

I hope you can see the pic. Our server went down the other day and I am unsure if the pic will show up here. Let me know if you can't see the pic and I will see if I can fix it.

At any rate, the black tank on the left is the one you want. The blue tank on the right is a 2.5g. It is from the same manufacturer as the 5g you are looking to buy and is not the tank you want.

Mother Reefer
05-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Beautiful Beverly thanks for the pics. Who's the manufacturer? How many gal is the black one? (5?)

I have a reptile tank (10gal) that is a nice tank (shallow & long) I'm thinking of using. I'm sure I'll have to re-inforce the seams (have to look up what sealant) anyone ever use one?

Would this be a decent enough setup/light for softies?

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/cshop/LICS-23128.html?L+scstore+rjrn3453ff071907+1083853479

Beverly
05-06-2004, 02:26 PM
The black one is 7g, manufactured by All-Glass. When I bought it, about a year ago, they were in most of the lfs. Shouldn't be too hard to find. Still see them around here.

Here's my webpage for the 7g:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/7galreef.htm

For the 2.5g:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/2-5galreef.htm

Mother Reefer
05-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Those are beautiful Beverly. I have a few questions if you don't mind. You said
7gal
Filtration: one AquaClear Mini with flow rate at high
media holder removed and one full and one quarter Mini foams have been placed in the media chamber to facilitate heater

2.5gal
Filtration:
media holder removed and one full and one quarter Mini foams have been placed in the media chamber to facilitate heater
foam placed over Mini intake to prevent fry from being sucked into the filtration system
I'm a little lost on the Mini foams, what are they and where do you get them & I have filter media (from a couple)from FW systems, are those the ones you're talking about? you don't run the carbon packets in it, you run the mini-foams? I'm sorry for all the questions I'm trying to picture this.

JTrigger
05-06-2004, 08:43 PM
For the 7 gal AGA MB setup, I bought the aquarium itself at King Ed's in Burnaby, but you can get it cheaper now at J&L ($65 I think). For the retrofit CSL, I scored one from King Ed's... I saw one there last time I was there a couple weeks ago as well. They're hard to find here in Canada as CSL is now pretty much nonexistant so they stopped producing them.

I got most of my setup info from:

http://www.oc-creative.com/reef/OurSetup.htm

I can post a pic of my setup later if anyone's interested. Gotta take some pix.

JT

Beverly
05-06-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm a little lost on the Mini foams, what are they and where do you get them & I have filter media (from a couple)from FW systems, are those the ones you're talking about? you don't run the carbon packets in it, you run the mini-foams? I'm sorry for all the questions I'm trying to picture this.

I ran AquaClear Minis, hang-on-back filtration systems often used for fw, on both the 2.5g and the 7g. Mini foams are the foams designed to go into the media basket which fits neatly into the media chamber of the AC Mini. To allow room for the heater to go into the media chamber, we pulled the media basket and stuffed foam around the heater with the Mini foams. My husband also cut a hole in the removable plastic top of the filtration system with a Dremel.

Here's a pic of what the tanks look like from the back. You can see the heaters sticking out of the AC Minis, more so on the 2.5g:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/7gal-3.jpg

Mini foams can be bought at the chain lfs in packs of 3 (cheaper than buying them singly). We usually buy ours at Superpet.

Hope that gives you a better idea of what we used :smile:

Mother Reefer
05-06-2004, 11:15 PM
I understand but the FW filtration I have doesn't use foam pieces they use those plastic/carbon/filter thingies. Are they interchangeable? If you don't mind one more question what is the name/brandname on the foam?

Thx

Beverly
05-07-2004, 12:22 AM
The foams are AquaClear Mini foams made to be used with an AquaClear Mini filtration system. I have no idea if these foams are interchangeable with stuff in the filtration system you are currently using.

Bob I
05-07-2004, 01:06 AM
Here's a question about the heaters Bev. Especially in the 2.5, the thermostat part of the heater is well out of the water. It looks to me like the heater will be adjusting itself according to the room temperature rather than the water temperature. Does that not give you a problem. :question:

Beverly
05-07-2004, 02:03 AM
boB,

The thermostat part of all my heaters are out of the water. Doesn't seem to bother anything. Tank temps are what I set the heaters to be.

Lucky Trout
05-07-2004, 06:42 AM
If someone was interested in a 7Gal AGA i have an extra one.

Tank hood with 14watt Powerglow & 14watt Marineglow on a 30 watt ballast also extra powerglow bulb & single ballast (Original Ballast)

If there's anyone interested Pm to work something out.

Ian