PDA

View Full Version : Best LED Fixture on the Market??

Spyd
10-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Hello,

I have decided to jump ship from my 8 x 80w ATI Sunpower fixture that is running over my 180G tank. I want to go LED this time around and am wondering what the best LED fixture is. I am not going DIY because I just don't have the time and I want a nice sleek, clean fixture. It needs to be able to grow out SPS without any issues, which is where I have seen problems in the past.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

sphelps
10-02-2012, 05:47 PM
although not out just yet my vote goes to GHL Mitras provided you can afford it. If not I'd look at AI Vega or Sol which are probably the best bang for the buck as of right now. From what I've seen the Sol appears to be pretty bullet proof, not sure about Vega but I would assume similar. Don't like the Vega color, the way colored LEDs are scattered on different clusters seems like a recipe for color disco and the colored LEDs come at a cost of loosing one of the white, blue or RB leds. Won't say much on Radions except (IMO) for the price the reliability/quality isn't there.

freezetyle
10-02-2012, 05:49 PM
I dont really think there is a "best" fixture. when choosing one it depends on what you are keeping in your tank and if you want modular lights or full length fixtures.

Full fixtures
Vertex- comes in a variety of models that use varied strength leds, can upgrade modules to include color (red, uv, green), looks sleek. fully controllable

Modular

AI sol
comes in standard blue and white, can be controlled with controllers. easily replace pucks (soon you can add colors), utilized led lenses.

Aqua illuminations Vega.
Same as above plus utilization of color leds.

Ecotech radion.

better color blending, because of reflector use instead of lenses, sync with ecotech products.

Kessil

multichip led, best color blending, no controllablitiy.
there are a ton more out there.

cale262
10-02-2012, 06:26 PM
"Best LED Fixture on the Market??"

Question of the decade... You'll find fabois in each camp who will tell you why their choice is best and how the others lack reliability/quality etc..

IMO, at this point, I think all the higher end offerings are using the same diodes/technologies. Find the system that works best for you (price, one piece, modular, aesthetics etc.) and run fast from any thread titled "Best LED Fixture on the Market??"

Spyd
10-02-2012, 06:31 PM
"Best LED Fixture on the Market??"

Question of the decade... You'll find fabois in each camp who will tell you why their choice is best and how the others lack reliability/quality etc..

IMO, at this point, I think all the higher end offerings are using the same diodes/technologies. Find the system that works best for you (price, one piece, modular, aesthetics etc.) and run fast from any thread titled "Best LED Fixture on the Market??"

LOL. Thanks for the info! I would love to see some photos and hear the success that people are having using LEDs as the sole lighting source over their SPS corals.

Salt2Death
10-02-2012, 06:59 PM
It's an under dog and no one seems to talk about them, but the Sunbright F series is honestly sensational. It's not modular so that's it's on draw back, but in its favor it has:
Thin super light fixture (sexy)
Red, Green, Blue, Purple, White, and UV LEDs to give it a much better range of depths in your corals!
WiFi controller via smart phone (no extra charge controllers)
SUPER BRIGHT, at 80% I'm bleaching coral..
All the bells n whistles ie, thunderstorm modes, ramp up n down, each color controllable individually and endless ways to set up the lights as you want.

Just a thought, just an opinion.
(brighter than ai sols)

Talk to Ray @ Reef Supplies, amazing customer service as well!

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...

mseepman
10-02-2012, 08:14 PM
I just came back from MACNA and pretty much everyone is making LED's now. After seeing all those lights and attending Sanjays latest presentation, I would look at the new Orphek Atlantic fixture. Full spectrum and a very attractive light. As for pricing...I think its close to Radion pricing and I liked the color blending much better. I believe Mr Wilson is the contact in Canada for buying those lights....he's on here sometimes too or you could catch him on RC.

sphelps
10-02-2012, 08:21 PM
I just came back from MACNA and pretty much everyone is making LED's now. After seeing all those lights and attending Sanjays latest presentation, I would look at the new Orphek Atlantic fixture. Full spectrum and a very attractive light. As for pricing...I think its close to Radion pricing and I liked the color blending much better. I believe Mr Wilson is the contact in Canada for buying those lights....he's on here sometimes too or you could catch him on RC.

I haven't seen that fixture in person but I have a hard time understanding how color blending would be considered better than something like a Radion. Am I missing something?
http://orphek.com/led/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/atlantik-all-light-ON.jpg

subman
10-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I have radions over my tank now and picked up a couple Vegas. I'll remake my hanging bracket so I can split the tank and do a side by side comparison and post the results.

MarkoD
10-02-2012, 08:59 PM
The best ones are the ones that are modular and upgradable.

LEDs are changing so fast that one might be the best for a couple months and then something new comes out.

badfish!
10-02-2012, 09:32 PM
I have the ecoray 60d leds and hate them, they were not dimable (the new ones are), I had them hanging basically at ceiling height and they still burned my corals (except for the things at the bottom of the tank). I also have the maxspect mazzeras and they are dimable, I havent had any issues with too much light with them, but I still havent figured out how to program them (I got them second hand, so they are still set to the previous owners settings). I agree with Marko though, the ability to be able to upgrade is hugely important.

Norstar
10-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Anyone know if the AI Vega Blue is better than the AI Vega Colour for growing coral?

mseepman
10-02-2012, 11:56 PM
I haven't seen that fixture in person but I have a hard time understanding how color blending would be considered better than something like a Radion. Am I missing something?
http://orphek.com/led/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/atlantik-all-light-ON.jpg

You know what, I don't know how to explain it. I know that the clustering from the Radion gives very good color blending. I'm thinking its the multiple fixture side of the Radion that I tend to have found giving some disco where they overlap. I think there is a greater risk of this when we put red led's in the fixture. The new Orphek was very clean looking (although it too had red) and also didn't seem to have as fast a "flicker" to the shimmer as the Radions either. The new Atlantic uses a different kind of convex lens, similar to those found on large multi-chips although I couldn't tell you if it was glass or acrylic. As always, YMMV and individuals have different opinions on LED's.

mikeclarke
10-03-2012, 02:20 PM
It's an under dog and no one seems to talk about them, but the Sunbright F series is honestly sensational. It's not modular so that's it's on draw back, but in its favor it has:
Thin super light fixture (sexy)
Red, Green, Blue, Purple, White, and UV LEDs to give it a much better range of depths in your corals!
WiFi controller via smart phone (no extra charge controllers)
SUPER BRIGHT, at 80% I'm bleaching coral..
All the bells n whistles ie, thunderstorm modes, ramp up n down, each color controllable individually and endless ways to set up the lights as you want.

Just a thought, just an opinion.
(brighter than ai sols)

Talk to Ray @ Reef Supplies, amazing customer service as well!

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...

I agree. I love my 72" Sunbrite and Ray is awesome to deal with.