PDA

View Full Version : Clams

howdy20012002
10-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Hello all
I just brought in a few clams and have now realized that they have all attached themselves to the glass below through the 2 inches of sand.
I know that you have to be very gentle with their feet.
any suggestions how to get them unattached from the glass without damaging them?
and is there anything that I can do to help stop this???
thanks
Neal

reefwars
10-02-2012, 05:02 PM
not 100% sure on how to get it off , i know if you cut off the clams light he will eventually remove his grip but thats not something id try with a bunch of clams , more of my one clam and watch him closely .

you can use tile under the sand so they dont do it again if you get them off.

Ross
10-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Kevin at Red Coral told me to take a razor blade and scrap/cut them off the glass being as care full as possible not to pull them off.

howdy20012002
10-02-2012, 05:16 PM
that was what I was thinking of doing...
just wanted to see if there was some fool proof way
thanks for the input

Delphinus
10-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Razor blade along the glass and as much care as possible. If you cut the byssal gland or if it gets pulled out, the clam gets a poor chance of surviving.

I always keep my clams on rock and let them attach. Usually I have to build a fence of rubble around them, and epoxy the fence to keep them from toppling over. Eventually they usually attach. It doesn't have to be a huge fence, even a small lip so that it sits in a depression, is enough. Or in one case I mounted SPS frags around and let them become a natural fence. I figure eventually I might have to relocate the SPS (or the clam, or both) but for now it makes for a pretty natural looking display and I'm liking that a lot.

The other option is place rubble or a clam shell under them and let them attach to that. Only problem with attaching to rubble is that if you want to move the clam later then you have this rubble to deal with and usually they end up letting go because it's not comfortable in the new position with it. So that's why I usually pick where I want them from the get-go and and do my best to work the surroundings to make it so that they don't fall off.

Crocea and maxima clams really belong on the rock. More often than not they end up in the sand more out of convenience ("it kept falling off the rock") or because it's easier to view them that way. Derasa, squamosa, gigas, and hippopus all have really small or narrow byssal openings so they can do OK in the sand long term but maxima and crocea have these HUGE openings that can be an easy way in for a predator or pest that can irritate them and cause them to lose health. I try to mount all mine in rock now using the fence idea and then making the fence look interesting becomes the fun challenge.

Hope this helps!

michika
10-03-2012, 12:20 AM
I've had success spraying cold tank water on their feet prior to using a blade to remove them, like a 10ml shot with a tiny syringe. I've typically used thin food scrapers successfully. I am way way way way way too clumsy to be given a blade.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/507246955/Silicone_Food_Scraper.jpg

Borderjumper
10-03-2012, 12:31 AM
I've used an old credit card on anemone feet with success.

michika
10-03-2012, 12:46 AM
I've used an old credit card on anemone feet with success.

Was that before or after you maxed it out on fish stuff? :lol:

Borderjumper
10-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Was that before or after you maxed it out on fish stuff? :lol:
After:mrgreen: I wouldn't waste a perfectly good card if it had any room left on it!

howdy20012002
10-03-2012, 02:30 AM
thanks for the advice.
is it glue that holds them down??
or is it actually part of the clam.
just wondering if it would be better to use something sharp or not sharp.
I feel non-sharp would have a better chance of damaging the clam's foot.
thanks
Neal

michika
10-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Its actually the clam's flesh, its foot.

A clean thin edge is the key I've found. Sharpness (for the uncoordinated) is not a great added factor for fear of either harming the clam, or yourself, or something else.

TimT
10-03-2012, 04:14 PM
The clams byssal gland makes thin threads which it uses to hold itself in place. Cutting the threads does not hurt the clam in anyway. It is sort of like getting a hair cut. It does not hurt unless it's a bad one lol. I always use a razor blade to cut instead of scraping the threads as you do not want to put excessive force on the byssal gland. The byssal gland also has a 1/4 walnut shaped thing that it holds inside which the threads attach to. Once this gets too many cut threads the clam will expel it and start over again. People sometimes mistake it for the byssal gland and think their clam is dieing.

Cheers,
Tim