PDA

View Full Version : IO regular vs IO RC!

mrhasan
10-02-2012, 03:08 AM
I am currently using IO regular but since I have started adding pretty corals (no SPS; they are just way too challenging for me and I like things that moves with flow :D), I was thinking whether I should start using RC. My current system does have a 440ppm calc but I don't know about magnesium since I don't have its testkit.

So should I stick to regular one or get a RC for 20 bucks more.

Alongside, even if I do change to RC, can I mix the salts or should I do a big water change with RC to replace the regular mix in the system?

Aquattro
10-02-2012, 03:18 AM
Honestly, until you know why you need to switch, stick with IO and save your money.

mrhasan
10-02-2012, 03:19 AM
Honestly, until you know why you need to switch, stick with IO and save your money.

Haha yah. I was getting mixed review about using IO regular for reef so just wanted to know what experts over here got to say :D

Aquattro
10-02-2012, 03:59 AM
Haha yah. I was getting mixed review about using IO regular for reef so just wanted to know what experts over here got to say :D

Look at the favorite salt poll, overwhelmingly IO used in all kinds of tank setups. You're not going to go wrong using IO (mostly) :)

The Guy
10-02-2012, 04:12 AM
Hi: I am by no means an expert but have been using IO since I started up my reef tank. I just keep softie's and LPS and they are doing well with it.
I heard about IO reef crystals, but use only IO reg. I think if it ain't broke don't fix it. :smile:

mrhasan
10-02-2012, 04:36 AM
Thanks everyone. I guess I will stick with regular IO for now. Will be getting a bucket so wanted to make sure that I am getting the right stuff. I also have only LPS and softies (other than red monti) so I guess I will get IO and save the $20 for a maxi mini :D

FitoPharmer
10-02-2012, 04:37 AM
The difference in chemical makeup between IO and IO RC can be made up with a few cents worth of bulk chemicals. I would also save my money and just use IO.

mrhasan
10-02-2012, 04:42 AM
So I am considering RC as just a fancy name :P

Got this image from about.com:

http://0.tqn.com/d/saltaquarium/1/0/6/a/1/comparisontableofelelmentsenh_500.JPG

Looks like IO actually has better traces than RC :| Weird!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-02-2012, 04:42 AM
In Greater Vancouver, we have one LFS that sells IO 160g buckets for $29.99. Can't come close to beating that anywhere. That's one reason why so many local reefers use IO. It's by far the best deal on salt in the Lower Mainland.

mrhasan
10-02-2012, 04:43 AM
In Greater Vancouver, we have one LFS that sells IO 160g buckets for $29.99. Can't come close to beating that anywhere. That's one reason why so many local reefers use IO. It's by far the best deal on salt in the Lower Mainland.

That's darn cheap :O I think the lowest in Calgary hits around $45

FitoPharmer
10-02-2012, 05:01 AM

Which store? :mrgreen:

Aquattro
10-02-2012, 05:03 AM
Which store? :mrgreen:

We don't advertise for stores unless they support the board :)

Cal_stir
10-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I use reef crystals but am switching back to IO because I still have to dose to maintain ca, alk, and mag levels, it's cheaper to use IO and dose a little more.

mrhasan
10-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks everyone. I have decided to stick to IO :)